Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
05' Cadillac CTS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
i took my 05's CTS up to Jiffy Lube about and hour ago for a tranny flush and refill. I drove it into the bay and the guy told me he could not do it. He said he doesn't know how to do it on the 3.6 models, only to dealership does. Is this true? He sounded legit and they were not busy at all so i am assuming he wasn't just pushing me away. I currently have 63k on my car and want to get this done soon. Does anyone know what the dealership charges for this?
Thanks in advance

Kevin

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I had it done on the 3.2 for about $75. He is right, only the dealer or a trans shop will do it. Do a search on this forum, some guys say that the fluid is good for the life of the trans.

·
Registered
05' Cadillac CTS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks sammy. when i was searching for this question i came across that a lot. Is that true? If we don't need a refill then what kind of tranny maintenance is required? Did you get new fluid or keep the same?

·
Registered
05 CTS SPORT/LUXURY PACKAGE
77 Posts
you will need an oil pump tool since the transmission doesnt have a dipstick and the only spot to put fluid in is thru the side of the transmission wheres theres an allen bolt

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I have the 3.2, at 75k miles I had the dealer change the fluid, I don't know if it did any good. i guess I did it for peace of mind. I have 120k miles now and the trans is still working perfect. The DIC display alway reads 100% for Trans Fluid.

·
Registered
05' Cadillac CTS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. I'll just have the dealer change it. Will it only cost me $75. The reason i ask is because jiffy lube was going to charge me $100 and firestone gave me a quote of $175. I just assumed the dealer would be more expensive...im not complaining though.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Be aware that inexperienced users of the flushing machines can mistakenly fill your tranny up with dirty trans fluid. That happens regularly. Have someone else do it the old fashioned way. Much safer for your car and your wallet.

·
Registered
2016 CTS4 Black
46 Posts
Be aware that inexperienced users of the flushing machines can mistakenly fill your tranny up with dirty trans fluid. That happens regularly. Have someone else do it the old fashioned way. Much safer for your car and your wallet.
Exactly. I got talked into the flush routine once at an oil change place. They pulled out the fancy machine with blinking lights and stuff. it seemed to me like it was all BS. Two oil changes later the guy walks over with the dirty oil on the tranny dipstick and tries to sell it all over again.

Since then I've used a reliable transmission shop. They do their transmission "tune up" anywhere from $100-$150 depending on the car. They drop the pan, clean any screens or filters, replace any parts mentioned on a TSB etc. and refill with clean fluid. I feel much better when I do that. A few dollars more but well worth it.

·
Registered
2004 3.6 auto
140 Posts
I'm with you, Big_Ed.

I had a leaky seal on the side of my tranny corrected and of course the filter and fluid changed out at the same time. It was expensive ($280) cause they had to pull out additional parts to get up to that seal.

Tranny guy said don't do flush and fills. You need to think of it like a motor oil change. Would you back flush the filth out of your motor oil filter back into your sump, get out most of the fluid and LEAVE your old filter in there?

He said even though you don't get the torque converter fluid out of there you still are changing most of it and you have a new filter this way.

Made sense to me...

·
Registered
05' Cadillac CTS
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so are you guys telling me that you feel safer going to a transmission shop as opposed to a dealership?

·
Registered
2016 CTS4 Black
46 Posts
so are you guys telling me that you feel safer going to a transmission shop as opposed to a dealership?
I do, but I go to a local guy who is very reputable, not a franchise store. Not that there is a problem with every Aamco. You may may have a good one near you. Make sure that you investigate first and get recommendations from past customers. If it was a choice of walking into a dealership blind or a transmission shop blind, I would choose the dealership. Luckily, I have a good tranny shop near me who has been great to deal with.

·
Registered
'05 CTS 3.6L
102 Posts
Actually, most Jiffy Lubes can flush and fill the trans! Just call around and ask for one that has a trans flush machine. It is basically a big pump with a reservoir. You take them 4 gallons of your favorite trans fluid (Red Line D4 ATF in my case), they remove the lines at the trans cooler, install some universal fittings and they start pumping. There is a sight glass on the machine that shows the oil coming out and they run it until it is all fresh oil running through that sight glass for a few minutes.

Just a warning tho! An auto trans builds up spent friction material in the fluid over time. IF the trans is worn and the clutch plates are low on friction material, the suspended fluid helps the trans grip and shift. By doing a flush on a tired trans will make it slip even worse since the grit is now gone. Best bet is to get the fluid checked for solids content from a reputable trans shop before going to Jiffy Lube with 4 gallons of damn expensive ATF! :)

FWIW, I had a trans temp gauge installed and with the D4 ATF, noticed about a 10 degree drop in temp versus the stock dino junk the OEM put in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts