Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1983 eldorado
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping someone can tell me what this box is. It is located directly under the left side fron tof the glove box next to what appears to be the vent mix door housing. It is a decent size black box with multiple wires coming out of it and it says rittenhouse electric - GM part #1624406 2. It looks like it is mounted on its side with one metal side or a metal mount plate. When the drivers door is open it makes a sound like someone dropping a golf ball inside a plastic box and you can feel the thump when touching the box. I just really need to know what that part # is and I can find nothing on the internet. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
If it only happens with the driver door, it might be your power door lock relay assembly. Why don't you try unplugging it and see what doesn't work after that? Then you'll have a clue as to how to fix or replace it.

·
Registered
83 Eldorado, 90 Seville, 94 Concours
469 Posts
Is it about 5 or 6 inches long by 1 1/2 square? If so it just might be the chimes. I was servicing the Base stereo head unit in my 83 Eldorado just yesterday and discovered the chime module in the area left of the glove box. Sounds like something is maybe stuck or broken so as to muffle it. More than likely it’s a commonly used part in that era of Caddy's. Check out your local JY or try GM Vintage Parts.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
OKay! thanks to 83Cadman and your part number, I am certain it is the chime module. I googled "83 eldorado chime module" and this link popped up at the top listing rittenhouse + chime for Cadillac. No part # match tho'. It is probably only available at a junk yard by now . Do any of your chimes work? It makes total sense that it "thumps"when you open the door. LOL! the poor thing is muffled somehow. Take it apart - maybe you can fix it

http://www.bomarc.org/catalogs/Catalog-upload/AUTO-AIR-MARINE.txt

·
Registered
2000 SLS
292 Posts
I had this problem on an 89 eldo. A solenoid lifts a striker to make the sound. The striker in the down position rests on rubber foam. The foam collapsed to the point the striker was too far down for the solenoid to lift it. Locate and remove the unit, open it up and insert new rubber on the bottom. With right thickness it should start working again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts