Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 Cadi Eldorado coupe w/Northstar engine that has check engine light and service transmission message. I took the car to the dealer and they said that it was a transmission sensor. The part itself is not that expensive, however, the labor is phenominal.
How hard is it to change the sensor on this car? I have done work on this car before (replaced ebtcm and other normal repairs) and I have a friend who is willing to help who has worked on transmissions in the past (not cadillac).
Second question: I had a subscription to alldata for the 96 eldorado but is has expired. I aso have a 98 eldorado. Is the 98 basically the same as the 96? Questioning because I want to renew my alldata subscription but would rather just have one subscription (the newer 1998) if they are basically the same engine, tranny, etc.

Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
I have a 96 Cadi Eldorado coupe w/Northstar
Second question: I had a subscription to alldata for the 96 eldorado but is has expired. I aso have a 98 eldorado. Is the 98 basically the same as the 96? Questioning because I want to renew my alldata subscription but would rather just have one subscription (the newer 1998) if they are basically the same engine, tranny, etc.
The differences are negligible; I'd go with the '98 subscription. At worst you might have to add the '96 as a second subscription (at a reduced price).

A better solution, IMHO, would be to eBay yourself a Factory Service Manual for the '98

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First off, thanks for the quick replies. I've been going over the entire post and looking at the photos. Great post.

Do you have to pull the CV joint to lower the tranny?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,982 Posts
Not sure, but I don't think so. If you need any clarification, BBf would be the guy to ask, having just done it unless someone else chimes in.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
First off, thanks for the quick replies. I've been going over the entire post and looking at the photos. Great post.

Do you have to pull the CV joint to lower the tranny?
:thehand: Judging from the question, you aren't ready to tackle this one........You have to pull the axle from the tranny, it goes through the channel plate. The rest of the procedure depends alot on preference, experience, and facilities. I leave the suspension (except the lower ball joint), cooling system, and A/C intact. I also support the eng & trans instead of the frame, and pull downward on the frame.
Good luck, it is a big job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts