Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. this is not for me but for my friend.. his car keeps dying on him even after repeated jump starts.. ok here is what happens.. he just bought the car a couple of weeks ago.. he picked it up and it started right up... broght it home and it started right up.. he did some work to it and let the battery drain out so he jumped it.. let it run for a while and drove it a few blocks and then parked it.. after shutting it down it would start up but with hesitation.. after sitting for an hour or 2 it was completely dead.. just now we jumped it let it run and revved the engine for like 5 minutes.. we turned it off and then right back on but all you got was clicking but no power.. my question is.. does tihs sound more like a battery issue or a alternator issue? we looked at the battery and there is some red stuff on the posts.. not sure if that would interfere with the battery charging or whatever.. any input?? thanks

·
Registered
2007 Escalade
458 Posts
Your battery is gone , at least one of the cells is gone.
If you jump start your car and you run for five minutes or even if you drive on the highway, this will not charge your battery for a full charge, no way you need to disconnect the battery terminals and charge your battery with a regular 110 voltage outlet battery charger overnight, if this will not work and you still have problems with starting the Truck , then you should get a new battery, you might as well check your alternator reading just to be sure.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
if you let a regular car battery drain all the way down it will never hold a healthy charge again ...

even most "deep cycle" batteries cannot be drained COMPLETELY and recharged

just get a new battery

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well we probably did this the wrong way but we did some "tests" to see what it was and I think it was a simple loose cable.. First we hooked a test light up to the negative cable and the other end onto the negative battery post.. we only got a minor light so we came to the conclusion there was no draw.. then while the car was running we disconnected the negative battery cable for like 2-3 seconds and the car still kept running which i was told wouldnt happen if you disconnected the negative.. after that I tightened the cables instead of him.. i guess that was the problem because the car kept starting right up no problems.. i mean we wiped the connections off and everything and i tightened as hard as i could and i think that was it.. now when you turn the car off and on it starts right up... just glad it wasnt a huge problem..

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so it is still under warranty , why didn't you go with it to the dealer !!!!!!!!!!!1
the problem was is that he was messing around installing stuff... back some time ago the dealer said that if the problem is something the owner did by doing aftermarket stuff or what have you then the dealer would charge you for the work.. he knew he messed something up..

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Before installing my dual batteries when I would have the doors open and working on the truck for as little as 20 minutes the battery would go dead, the dealer replaced the battery under warranty, and the new battery did the same thing, that is when I installed the dual batteries, no problems since then. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts