Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Escalade ESV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Escalade ESV 210k miles.

On a long drive home Sunday we got within three miles of the house and I got the "Transmission Hot" message. Transmission started to slip but never spit out any fluid nor did I smell burning. The fluid did not smell burnt. We are new to the area so I did my best to find a good transmission shop. Took it in to them they said there was an internal fault that caused it to overheat. $1500 rebuild later I picked it up today, drove it home 20ish miles and it started to get too warm again probably got up to about 230 according to the trans temp gauge.

What could have gone wrong? What do I need them to look at? I have the external trans cooler in addition to the one in the radiator. I've had the truck for about 7 months and never had a trans related issue before now.

I need some advice ASAP as I'm really stressing out about this.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Work the shifter from 1st back to park and check the fluid level
Mine was low and it made the tranny run hotter then it normally did

This has me a bit concerned as your close to the same mileage my truck has :/

·
Registered
2003 Escalade ESV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After I got home I checked the fluid and it seemed to be at normal level. Would just driving the truck and having it cycle to through gears automatically do the job? Or do you have to manually put it through each one?

----------

When a shop does a rebuild do they generally flush the lines, the cooler and or radiator cooler?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
When I check it I always put it through each range and wipe off the dipstick before I check

I wouldn't suggest a flush as it can cause other issues(I would contact the shop and ask if they did or not or check the invoice to see if they did it)

·
Registered
2003 Escalade ESV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had it towed back to shop - they working on it on their dime. Either way I'm still out $1500. They are replacing or rebuilding the valve body, not sure which. I had them install a larger trans cooler. I hope this is it.....

----------

Another question....so they rebuilt it and that did not seems to be the issue. Should I try and get some of my money back?

My thoughts are these $1500 is a lot to go "oops that wasn't it." But at same time worn clutch packs and internal issues could have clogged up/ruined the seals in the valve body. So perhaps it needed a rebuild as well as valve body. Anybody care to weigh in?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
At least they are repairing it on they're dime for the mistake

I think the upgraded cooler will help for sure

Let me know how the cooler does on the tranny temp as I plan on upgrading mine when I get the chance

·
Registered
2003 Escalade ESV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked it up from shop. Temp stays around 180 cruising. Gets up to 200 in stop and go traffic in 90 degree 95% florida humidity heat. How does that sound?

Now I get a slight surging when it shifts into OD under light throttle. Tranny guy says this will pass. Also figured out it was 1.2 quarts low when I got it home. I guess we will see.

----------

But for anyone else if your 4l65e overheats with no other issues try valve body rebuild first!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I will check my service manual and see if that's normal(sounds like it though)

I haven't had the valve body done yet but may have it done if it gives any issues

·
Registered
2003 Escalade ESV
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Part II - if tranny heats up pull engine codes. If you have P0719 = brake switch which tranny relies on to engage TC. Replace it quick!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts