Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up people! my 95 sls seville w/ 104k miles have 2 codes they came up after i cleared all the codes in the operating on board diagnostic system (OBD), P073 HISTORY AND P095 HISTORY

P073= INTERMITTENT COOLANT SENSOR....should i be able to change this myself and if so please describe where it is located and how important is this sensor

P095= ENGINE STALL DETECTED....sometimes when i turn the key, the car doesen't completely turn causing me to turn the key again or hold the key in the "start position" longer than 5 seconds....how can i solve this problem,
please advise......

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac SLS
34 Posts
The P073 should be a cheap and easy fix, just locate and change the coolant sensor. It might not be the sensor at all but a poor connection at the sensor. If you have a GM Shop manual it makes life a lot easier.

The other code might be the ingition switch. Again, get the factory shop manual and go thru the diagnostic chain to figure out what's wrong.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
P095= ENGINE STALL DETECTED....sometimes when i turn the key, the car doesen't completely turn causing me to turn the key again or hold the key in the "start position" longer than 5 seconds....how can i solve this problem,
Check the fuel pressure with the key on (not cranking). If there is no pressure, replace the fuel pump relay. If you don't have a pressure gauge, open the filler cap and listen while someone turns the key on. You should hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds. If not, again, check the relay. If this is a hot start problem only, check the FPR for a leak (see Tech Tips section).

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
open the filler cap and listen while someone turns the key on. You should hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds. If not, again, check the relay. If this is a hot start problem only, check the FPR for a leak (see Tech Tips section).[/QUOTE]

and when you say "filler cap" do mean open the fuel door where you stick the gas nozzle at.......

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
where exactly is the FPR located and would it be an ez fix?
Again, reiterating what has already been said. You are using the process of elimination basically. Listen for the fuel pump first, if you don't hear the fuel pump turn on when you first turn the key on, then it's probably a bad/sticky fuel pump relay (You'll need someone to turn the key on while you listen). If you do hear the fuel pump turn on then that part of the fuel system is all good. If the hard starts are mostly when the engine is hot, that's a symptom of a bad or failing FPR. Directions on how to check and replace the FPR are found here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/61600-how-check-faulty-fpr-fuel-pressure.html

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, reiterating what has already been said. You are using the process of elimination basically. Listen for the fuel pump first, if you don't hear the fuel pump turn on when you first turn the key on, then it's probably a bad/sticky fuel pump relay (You'll need someone to turn the key on while you listen). If you do hear the fuel pump turn on then that part of the fuel system is all good. If the hard starts are mostly when the engine is hot, that's a symptom of a bad or failing FPR. Directions on how to check and replace the FPR are found here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/61600-how-check-faulty-fpr-fuel-pressure.html
HEY thanks EVERYBODY i greatly appreciate the info and the link you provided krashed 989.....according to the threads attached to the link, it sound like it may be the FPR.....but i will definitely do the "2 second check" by my filler cap before going forward! once again thanks for taking the time to respond to my thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts