Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,
New to the forum as I’ve recently bought my first Cadillac CTS 3.6. I got a good deal on it sitting in an older gentleman’s garage so I am going through all the basic maintenance and changing fluids etc whether it needs it or not. The brakes though are in pretty bad shape. I am going to need new pads and rotors all the way around. I’m not new to working on my own vehicles however these RPO codes are confusing when trying to find brakes. I can find FE1/JL9 brakes and FE3 sport brakes. I’ve already ordered the wrong set once. Can anyone help me identify what I need? I’ve attached a pic of my RPO codes from the trunk. I appreciate any help and excited to be part of the forum!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
13,758 Posts
Moved to your appropriate CTS forum for better exposure.
Welcome to Cadillac Forums, masdickson.

You can also measure your rotors and cross reference sites like RockAuto for the correct parts.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
455 Posts
As Long, said measure your rotors then go to the link below to pick out your brakes.. I suggest going to the bottom of the link and picking out either standard power stops or the upgraded ones.

Roy

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6
21 Posts
JL9 rotors should be 303m size, im currently changing my front ones. got em detroit axle ones.

congrats on the new ride, i just got mine at the beginning of the month. still working on swapping fluids & changing O2 sensor.

remember to change the Cabin and Engine air filter.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hey Folks,
New to the forum as I’ve recently bought my first Cadillac CTS 3.6. I got a good deal on it sitting in an older gentleman’s garage so I am going through all the basic maintenance and changing fluids etc whether it needs it or not. The brakes though are in pretty bad shape. I am going to need new pads and rotors all the way around. I’m not new to working on my own vehicles however these RPO codes are confusing when trying to find brakes. I can find FE1/JL9 brakes and FE3 sport brakes. I’ve already ordered the wrong set once. Can anyone help me identify what I need? I’ve attached a pic of my RPO codes from the trunk. I appreciate any help and excited to be part of the forum!
2007 CTS High Feature V6 4 DR Sedan (19,69) 3.6L V6 SFI 5 Speed Auto 5L40E
Plant Oshawa #2

OE 88967250 Delco 19108021 Front Pad
OE 19303812 Delco 19175343 Front Rotor

OE 89060217 Delco19386882 Rear Pad
OE 15240719 298mm Delco 19175365 Rear Rotor

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
455 Posts
Are you looking to upgrade the brakes at all or just stay stock? This is the current setup I have on my car.

I just added the powder coated calipers and switched from the Z23 pads to the Z26 and there was a noticeable difference in doing that. it has much better initial bite right now. I have only just bedded in the pads and only driven a couple of miles since then but I expect it to be better When I take it to the track this weekend.

Roy

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
2,550 Posts
if you like NOT cleaning the brake pad dust off of your wheels then use the PowerStop Z16 model pads. Very little brake dust.

And use Carlton Brake Quiet hardware.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
455 Posts
I had virtually 0 dusting with the Z23's but I will have to wait and see about the Z26's since they've only been on a couple of days.

Roy

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L v6 , 1994 Chevy Suburban, 2007 Mustang, 1984 Camaro, 1989 Suzuki mud bogger
10 Posts
A few tips on doing your own brakes . Sorry I dont have pics . Gonna just describe as best I can . I usually ‘ ease‘ all edges on the metal plates on the brake pads that slide in an out the slot on the caliper. Use an anti-seize on the slot . Pull the guide pins out , wirebrush and sand them smooth. I drill out the bronze guides if needed . I put anti-sieze in the guide pins bushing , NOT on the pins . . I chamfer the leading edge of the pads . Dont breathe it , wear a mask . God knows we got enough of those hanging about. Wear indicators are on the piston side of the caliper. Replacing rubberbrake lines with braided steel lines will improve responsiveness.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 2.8L
455 Posts
I'm in the process of having braided stainless steel lines made right now because no one makes any that I could find.

Roy

·
Registered
2003 CTS 3.2L v6 , 1994 Chevy Suburban, 2007 Mustang, 1984 Camaro, 1989 Suzuki mud bogger
10 Posts
Check out stock car race equipment companies. A lot of classes use Chevy calipers and rotors to keep costs down. The female end and the banjo end probably are G.M. OEM. I got a feeling the CTS calipers and rotors are found on other GM cars .

·
Administrator
'05 CTS-V
8,755 Posts
I’m not new to working on my own vehicles however these RPO codes are confusing when trying to find brakes. I can find FE1/JL9 brakes and FE3 sport brakes. I’ve already ordered the wrong set once. Can anyone help me identify what I need? I’ve attached a pic of my RPO codes from the trunk. I appreciate any help and excited to be part of the forum!
Ordered the wrong set of what once? The wrong pads, or the wrong rotors? And what was wrong about them?

·
Registered
2007 CTS
238 Posts
Hey Folks,
Check out R1 Concepts for brake parts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts