Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this BB, I was wondering if anyone could help me out? I'm looking to purchase a 95-96 Caddy STS NorthStar. Upon further research I have read that the NorthStar has an oil consumption problem that some claim is Normal? Due to a manifold/head gasket or head bolt that backs out and requires a time insert, cylinder rebuild or new motor? I also heard that the 94-95 tranny's tend to crack? Basically if anyone could give me advise on:

What to look for/avoid?
What years to stay away from?
Common problems (ac compressor, eletrical)?
How to find service codes/and what they mean?
Sensors to look for that go bad?
Extended Warranty post factory (I heard certain ex/warranty's found a loop hole not to cover motor problem....GE was one of the only one's that i know does)?
Anything and everything u could tell me would help!

I found a fully loaded all options sts white with 72,000 miles for around $7000.00, do you think this is a good deal?

Thanks!
Loeyboy:)

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
The oil consumption and the head gaskets are two distinct problems.

I suspect the oil problem stems from infrequent oil changes. The rings stick in the grooves. This is from sludge buildup as a solvent squirted into the cylinders and left overnight usually fixes. This is not unique to Caddy's but the low tension rings used in most newer engines contributes to this. 5.0 Mustangs had the same problem.
The head bolt problem exists too but there is a thread on the board for long mileage without major repairs so not all N* have this problem either. I think frequent (every 1 to 2 years) antifreeze changes reduces headgasket failure.

The bottom line is to get maintainence records on the car you buy. Dealers don't normally have those unless all the work was done at that dealer. A private party sale might have all the reciepts available.

The extended warranty isn't a bad idea if you are going to have a shop do all the work.
There are plenty of threads on reading the codes and their meaning. Hold the off and the warmer or up button to access them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
loeyboy said:
What to look for/avoid?
What years to stay away from?
Common problems (ac compressor, eletrical)?
How to find service codes/and what they mean?
Sensors to look for that go bad?
Extended Warranty post factory (I heard certain ex/warranty's found a loop hole not to cover motor problem....GE was one of the only one's that i know does)?
Anything and everything u could tell me would help!

I found a fully loaded all options sts white with 72,000 miles for around $7000.00, do you think this is a good deal?

Thanks!
Loeyboy:)
What to look for? A one-owner vehicle owned by an elderly couple.
Year's to stay away from? Check consumer reports or edmunds for frequency of repair reports.
Common problems? I'd say in general, electrical. These cars basically operate with a brain. If a senor or solenoid fails an error code is displayed. I don't think you can get away from this aspect of ownership.
Senors to look for that go bad? I think that's just random. Some do and some don't.
Extended warranty? I'm not much on them. I figure if the orginal owner was caring with the car (ie. good maintenance records, and you can go to the dealership where the owner had it serviced and ask to see all the records) then a warranty isn't necessary. Hopefully the original owner fixed all the warranty problems during the warranty period.

Anything and everything? When you find the perfect car, pay the $200 or so for a Cadillac dealership Used Car Checkout and have the seller take it in for the checkout. The dealership has nothing invested in the car so they should be pretty honest. Oh, if you do this, don't give the report to the seller. Remember, you paid for it so you own it. Sometimes sellers will go hav-zees with ya' so, if you don't buy the car, he still has the report to show other potential buyers.

Good luck!
..rickko..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
rickko