Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put the subwoofers i have in my 03 CTS. does anyone know if there are av jacks on the back of the factory installed radio, or do i have to splice into the speaker lines? it is a regular stock radio with the 6 cd changer. Also does anyone know how i can get the radio out from the dashboard.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. how exactly did you do it? did you splice in to the 10" or the other two that are back there? i am gonna run the power wires and the ground wire str8 to the battery, and then i guess or i am gonna assume that i should splice each speaker ( you know left sub to left speaker, and right sub to right speaker) leaving the stock 10" wires alone.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
86 Posts
You can tap right into the subs inputs if you can find the wires. I just taped into the subs outputs and put an inline converter that changes the amplified line into amp inputs (RCA's) and ran that to my amp, then I put an 800 watt amp in and ran a custom box in the stock location with a pioneer shollow mount truck sub. That way I could still get lots of bass in the cabin and not use the trunk as a free air application. That and the shollow mount subs can go into a really small box. I just mounted mine right up in the location where the stock woofer was. But from the bottom.

That is how I did it, and kept the trunk space that was there when stock.

·
Registered
Cadillac
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a non ported box with 2 10" subs, and the amp is an octane R 4.0.2...
what i want to know is how do i get the wires to the amp from the speakers. the amp has only rca inputs, and as far as i know from what i have read, the HU doesn't have any rca out puts. now back in the day( and i am talking 20 years here), when i used to put systems in the car, we would run the wires for the speaker to the amp. (from the back of the radio, or from the rear speaker wires) and it was a fairly simple process they didn't have the rca jacks. now the amp has rca inputs, and i have no way of connecting them to the stock speakers unless i cut one end of the rca wire, and splice it into the rear speaker wires, and put the other end to the amp for the 10's? and if i have to cut the rca wire, how do i know which wire does what?(you know they make the rca real easy to use, one end goes here, and the other end goes there, meanwhile the thing could have like 3 wires inside). I have been doing alot of reading on this forum, and seen something called an LOC. everything seems to be very technical, with all the wires and such. I don't want to spend a ton of money, i just want to put the speakers i have in the car until i save enough money to re vamp the whole system professionally.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
34 Posts
I put a single 12 in my car. What i did was take the wires off the stock sub and bought a converter to run RCA's. Not sure what the converter is called, but all you have to do is run the speaker wires in from the sub, and the output is RCA's for the amp. Its a really simple process that takes maybe 5 minutes. Just look around at WalMart for the converter or go to a store with car audio.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
86 Posts
Go to a car audio store, tell them what you want and they will tell you what converter that you need. Then get the converter someplace else so that you don't pay the extream mark-up in price.

·
Registered
'04 CTS, '79 Coupe DeVille, '78 Sedan De Ville, '77 Firebird
1,020 Posts
I have been doing alot of reading on this forum, and seen something called an LOC.
LOC= line out converter. that's all you need. you splice its inputs into the wires going to your sub and it outputs into rca wires that you simply plug into your amp. DO NOT wire your ground wire straight to your battery. run it to bare metal in your trunk. i believe i used my trunk lid.

·
Registered
4 Posts
LOC= line out converter. that's all you need. you splice its inputs into the wires going to your sub and it outputs into rca wires that you simply plug into your amp. DO NOT wire your ground wire straight to your battery.
Yep, that's it. Get that and wire it up.

Thanks yomommas, I forgot what it is called.
run it to bare metal in your trunk. i believe i used my trunk lid.
When you tap into this sub speaker wires, how do you get all four to go into the converter box is there 4 wires going to the sub???

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can tap right into the subs inputs if you can find the wires. I just taped into the subs outputs and put an inline converter that changes the amplified line into amp inputs (RCA's) and ran that to my amp, then I put an 800 watt amp in and ran a custom box in the stock location with a pioneer shollow mount truck sub. That way I could still get lots of bass in the cabin and not use the trunk as a free air application. That and the shollow mount subs can go into a really small box. I just mounted mine right up in the location where the stock woofer was. But from the bottom.

That is how I did it, and kept the trunk space that was there when stock.
How do you get wires off of sub if there's only two?? Haven't dug into mine yet but I'm assuming there's only two wires going to one speaker please let me know if I'm wrong I see four wires coming out of the converter obviously two wires for each speaker HELP PLEASE!!! LOL

·
Registered
4 Posts
How do I get four wires coming off the converter box to the subwoofer which I'm assuming only has two wires??? Since it's only one speaker or am I wrong just about to dig in tonight so please indulge

1 - 12 of 12 Posts