Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i got myself an f90bt and would love to install it myself. But im still trying to figure out whether i can do it myself, or if ill have to pay to have it done.

Ive messed with electronics and worked on computers. Im not extremely familiar with stripping wires but i have done it with electronics before. Ive also done lots of modding to paintball guns which requires some out of the box thinking as well as lots of time ive put into learning how to dremel and fix the electronics that can break.

But i would love to learn how to do this as opposed to having to pay some one to install it.

Ive got the f90bt as well as the rear view camera for it. And have the dash mounting kit coming in the mail.

My backs screwed up so it will be a bit hard to do this, and im also quite strapped on cash now that ive purchased this stuff :highfive:

Any ideas how much it would cost to have someone install the f90bt as well as the rear view camera?

I dont really care that much about bluetooth or on star. Ive heard that on star doesnt really still work half the time after an accident. Please correct me if im wrong.

So what do you guys think, can i or should i do this myself, or should i have a professional install it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
I had my Avic-D3 installed about a year ago for $100. I am guessing the rearview camera will add $'s. I don't think it would be that big a deal to do it yourself. I was working alot of hours at the time amd just wanted it done. Good luck

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome thanks for the link, if i were to have some one professionally install it where would i go or who should i contact?

·
Registered
2003 CTS "Ebony Maria" 2005 Cadillac STS "Grace"
6,414 Posts
i would personally try a local radio install shop over somebody like BestBuy or Circuit City...or do as what someone else suggested, go to a used car dealership and ask them who they recommend...

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
I would agree with txbest1980, try a local shop. circuit city quoted twice as much and I didn't get a good feel from "Bubba" that was going to install it. He said "a Cadillac, never done one of those. It might take me a few extra hours". The local shop did it in little over an hour or so.

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow yeah screw bestbuy or circuit city. Thanks for the info im gonnna keep researching this, but im guessing since it doesnt sound too expensive that i might just go get it installed by some one else. I was reading about all these things that could go wrong. And ive never spliced anything or even know exactly what that even means :thepan:

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
lol...if you dont know what spilcing means when you are talking about this kind of stuff, definitely take it to somebody who knows what they are doing...

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah ok so i just got the encloser for my dash setup and it seems extremely simple now that its all organized in a easy to read manual. I didnt realize that splicing was just putting two wires together, ive done that so many times in paintball. But is it more complicated than im making it seem. I dont wanna go to bestbuy or circuit city and the shop i was interested in isnt around anymore. I was gonna call around but then saw how easy this paper guide made it look.

So basically i take everything apart, pull out the current setup and will there be plugs i can just undo or what exactly will i need to splice. I was reading somewhere some one saying that to keep their steering wheel controls intact that they needed to take apart the steering wheel to get to some wires.

So for wanting to use my stearing wheel controls my rear view camera xm radio gps all them goodies sept onstar what should i have to take apart other than just the console?

Thanks again guys, this forum is the friendliest bunch of ppl ive met on almost any forum, ive been verbally abused so many times on other forums lmao

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright ill research it im just asking if theres anything im gonna need to take apart other than the console, cuz then i dont wanna be doing all this research if im not gonna wind up doing it or finishing it all. Thanks

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can some one straighten me out on setting up the bose system. Im really thinking about doing the installation myself following the 4 different guides i have. But im curious if im going to take apart anything other than the console, for example, the stearing wheel or some internal part thats harder to get to. Anyways im confused with bose, will it sound good with my avic, because i was hearing about pybassing the amps and this and that and it was like chineses to me i didnt really understand it. In order for my bose to sound its best should i buy new amps? Or what do i have to do to make them act normal with my avicf90bt. Thanks

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was planning on it, but it doesnt look like im in over my head i just gotta figure some things out. Rather learn the lesson instead of paying some one to do it for me.

I was just confused about the bose cuz i was reading about it having shitty quality and that you shouldnt bipass the amps. But then i was reading something like the amps dont work properly with the avicf90bt for some reason. Like theres some extra work you gotta do to make it sound decent.

I was wanting to purchase a better sub so i could get a more colorful bass home tone to my music since i listen to a lot of rap/hiphop/dj style stuff. So then i was thinking i might need a new amp for that but im not sure.

Im just barely getting into this stuff, so im here to learn. And if worse comes to worse ill go take it in and have it professionally installed. Thanks though 8)

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
No offense, but in your other thread you can't tell if you have HID's or not. I guess I would hate to see you screw your car up. That's all. When in doubt, take it to a professional

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
:yeah:

this is exactly what we are trying to say that you may be in way over your head...if you cant get the simplicity of reading a few letters on your headlights, then you obviously are in way over your head. we have tried helping you and giving you advice, but it is like talking in circles

·
Registered
2006 CTS Luxury
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol ok well you guys may believe that, but i dont. I want to learn from this, get a lesson out of it, not pay some one for me to lose out on that lesson. But it doesnt sound too hard considering everything ive read and done to my car so far nav related or not.
This is the first car ive ever modified, taken apart, or serviced in any way myself. Ive successfully installed a new 2 piece grill, ive swapped out the side markers and their bulbs, and am currently putting vinyl on my tail lights.
Not trying to be defensive or snappy if im coming off that way.

But considering HIDs my lenses dont say either of the bulb types on them that were mentioned to me on that thread. And my bulbs dont get wet when i use the windshield wipers. So ive already deduced that i do not have HIDs. Even though it looks like it could, considering the octagonal shaped parts looking like they are a separate piece.

I also dont have much money to be throwing around, so id love to learn a lesson even if i fail and have to try again. But thank you for the suggestion. :bouncy:

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
lmao...i think you are missing the whole point on both threads. we are trying to help you, but it seems as if you dont read the entirity of people's comments. and i do hope you learn how to do most of the stuff you want to do, because it will save you lots of money. when i was your age, i was eager to learn myself and try and tackle any task. where are you located? maybe you are close enough to somebody that is on here that can help you and teach you how to do certain things to your car...

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,339 Posts
lmao...i think you are missing the whole point on both threads. we are trying to help you, but it seems as if you dont read the entirity of people's comments.

he has definetly has missed the point(s)
i know when i was his age, all my friends were into this kind of stuff, so that is a huge help. we are truely trying help you, we are not busting your balls. i know on my '03 the RPO codes are on a sticker underneath the spare tire cover. not sure where they are on the '06. follow this link.:http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/index.html

go down on the first page and click on the left :
GM and Cadillac info/ Car Manual. The:helpless: second topic on the right hand side from the top of the page. if you find your tag made up many 3 idgit/letters. you are looking for TT6 which is HID. good luck. no harms here, just trying to geive you the info you are asking for. this pertains to the other thread mainly, just didn't want to post again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts