Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm in a bit of a situation right now. Brake hose recall went to hell. Took it to the dealer, had ignition, fuel pump, and brake hoses serviced. Found out I wouldn't get my car back that day and it turns out I won't indefinitely. Due to a rust issue, a "highly specialized complex" part has to be replaced at least on the driver's side. The brake tube they described to me is something that has 11 or 12 bends in it and goes from the hoses to the abs module if I understand correctly.

There are 0 parts in the country and my car is marooned at the dealer until a part can be found and overnighted by GM. Does anyone know what the hell this thing is and if by any chance there are aftermarket parts? The parts guy couldn't even give me a number or a real name for it and days only two dealers even list this thing. Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated. I hate to let it go, but I'm getting out of this car ASAP. As soon as it's fixed up and if I have time to use my aftermarket warranty, it's getting traded in. Too many things wrong with this particular vehicle to make it financially doable for me as I'm moving and going to take on a lot more expenses.

Again, help is very appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
It sounds like a brake pipe. They are not listed by the online suppliers I checked. They can however, be fabricated, particularly if you've got the old part in hand. I suspect some local machine or specialty shop makes them. Most use standard fittings. The only other source might be someone like Cleveland Pick A Part.

http://www.eastwood.com/brake_article
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIrWykOIrrA

·
Registered
07 CTS-V
351 Posts
I always use issues like this to acquire new tools! Very easy to justify to your significant other if you have one......good luck.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, less than 10 minutes after asking here the situation abated itself. One of those two dealers had the part and it's being sent by a GM employee personally they told me so it should be in the shop tomorrow or more likely Friday.

I was quoted a ballpark cost of ~$700 for part and install. 5 hour job they said so we'll see how that turns out.

Thanks for the replies though. Anyone wanna buy my V? :)

But yes, Darkman. That sounds like what it is as the parts guy used the word "pipe" and not line or hose. Too late to have one fabricated though. Didn't think they'd find it all of a sudden.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Stealth Gray stock (unmodded and happy this way)
511 Posts
That happens with these older V1's. I needed a rack and pinion gear. My research and the repair facility's (not a Cadillac dealer) research showed the V1's have five handling packages and the rack that goes with the handling package in my car is no longer available from GM. The repair facility found a remanufacturer that had one. You were quite lucky it took only a day to find your part. Mine took a month...

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
That happens with these older V1's. I needed a rack and pinion gear. My research and the repair facility's (not a Cadillac dealer) research showed the V1's have five handling packages and the rack that goes with the handling package in my car is no longer available from GM. The repair facility found a remanufacturer that had one. You were quite lucky it took only a day to find your part. Mine took a month...
The online GM data base lists only one steering gear assembly for 2004-2007 model V1s, that being Part No. 15878029 that carries an MRSP of $762. Some online suppliers show it as available and some do not.

The CTS for the same model years does however, show at least two different part numbers based on suspension variant - Part No. 15850021 w/o soft suspension and Part No. 15850018 for w/soft suspension. Previous reports on this forum indicate that the actual assemblies have some minor variations such that there is no guarantee that any remanufactured unit will fit a particularly vehicle. This presumably occurs because the remanufacturer, in some cases, fails to distinguish the various units correctly. So, if you plan to use a remanufactured unit make sure it is returnable if it does not actually fit.

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS-V
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh no. It was at least 4 days. I called a few times to service asking for details and they said brake lines first which thought that was strange. I was about ready to buy my own but they said it goes from the hose to the abs module so I didn't think they were regular lines, called back one or two more times and yesterday service didn't answer so I asked for parts instead and HE only took an hour to inquire to the other stores. Don't know if nobody else really checked.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts