Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Deville Base
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I have a 99 deville with the rear air ride. The top rubber mounts of my shocks seemto be worn out. I figured those are easy enough to replace, but when ever I try to loosen the top nut, the entire shock is twisting.

I have removed the bottom bolt in order to avoid twisting the rubber on the outside of the shock, as they are not exactly new either.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
There is spot for TORX bit on the end of the shaft to hold the shock from turning. Its a big one and get the shock end cleaned out real good so fits good and don't strip out. Otherwise its vise grip time. Pics on this site somewhere.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There will either be a hex area at the top of the shock shaft (for a wrench), or a hole in it for a Torx bit driver. You hold the shaft still in one of those two ways, and use a wrench to loosen the nut on the mount.

·
Registered
1999 Deville Base
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
hmm, it is always so easy in theory :) No way this is coming off without damaging the shock. Guess i will leave it be till the shocks need to be replaced. IMG_20150403_143550.jpg

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
How old are the shocks?

If you replace the shocks as well, you don't have to worry about removing that nut.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
404 Posts
Doesn't this nut have to be removed in order for the shock to come down from the top?

·
Registered
1999 Deville Base
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well its hard to say what it is with mine as it is completely rusted out. The best I was able to match up was an H7

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
That looks like an Allen to me, not torx. You can clearly see the flats.

How old are the shocks?

If you replace the shocks as well, you don't have to worry about removing that nut.
This. Expose and put a pipe wrench on the shaft. Either the nut will break loose or the top of the shaft will snap off.

·
Registered
1999 Deville Base
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, as of right now, I am not going to replace the shocks. Thus I will leave it alone for the moment. If i was going to replace the shocks, I would simply cut the nut off.

The best deal for the ACdelco shocks i found was on rockauto for ca. 260 for a pair (no RSS)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,265 Posts
Well, as of right now, I am not going to replace the shocks. Thus I will leave it alone for the moment. If i was going to replace the shocks, I would simply cut the nut off.

The best deal for the ACdelco shocks i found was on rockauto for ca. 260 for a pair (no RSS)
==========================
The best deal for the ACdelco shocks i found
was on rockauto for ca. 260 for a pair

the Monroe 40046 is a better shock -
less than $200 for the pair - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-40046-Rear-Shock-Absorber/dp/B0047D9TS0/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=DeVille|406&Year=1999|1999&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

·
Registered
1999 Deville Base
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you get just as smooth of a ride with them as with the OEM ones? I am really looking to get the smoothest ride possible.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,265 Posts
Do you get just as smooth of a ride with them as with the OEM ones? I am really looking to get the smoothest ride possible.
=========================
Do you get just as smooth of a ride with them as with the OEM ones?
I have never heard anyone complain about the ride -
but - keep in mind -
a new shock will ride firmer than an old worn out one -

1 - 15 of 15 Posts