Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got both headlights cracked on my 2003 CTS. As a low cost option, I am thinking to put in halogens (the broken ones are HIDs). Inquired at two dealer service shops and got two different answers:
1. It’s a plug and play job
2. It’s complicated and requires new wiring
Does anybody know for sure? Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
'07 CTS 3.6
2,937 Posts
Got both headlights cracked on my 2003 CTS. As a low cost option, I am thinking to put in halogens (the broken ones are HIDs). Inquired at two dealer service shops and got two different answers:
1. It’s a plug and play job
2. It’s complicated and requires new wiring
Does anybody know for sure? Thanks in advance for any input.
Why downgrade ? It will cheapen your car.
Why not restore to stock ?

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
If they were stock HIDs, I'd get stock HID headlamp assemblies.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
to go from HID to Halogen you need a new wiring harness (i may have 2 kicking around you can have if you go through with this, i have to check) and you need halogen headlight assemblies because the shape of the bulbs are different and they wont snap in.
what is the problem? you can get aftermarket balasts on ebay for under $50/each and new bulbs for $30/pair...much cheaper than swapping unless you sell your current housings if they are in good shape.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your answer(s)!
I have to change both headlight assemblies – the casings are broken following a collision. My car is 8 years old and the plan is to fix and keep it just a little longer, before I switch to a newer model. Given the cost difference between xenon and halogen, it makes more sense to go for halogens, if it’s an easy swap.

·
Registered
Cadillac
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
gettomike, hi, let me know if you still have the harnesses - I'm also in GTA
many thanks!

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
12 Posts
Can you put the stock hid bulb/ballast in a stock halogen light? For some reason, I'm not seeing how to do it.

My HID lights were still working after the wreck, but I had to get new housings. I got oem halogen lights with the thought that it would be easy. It's not looking that way. It seems the casing that the bulbs mount into are different. But the casing, after the torx screws are removed, won't fit through the hole. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,883 Posts
Got some bad news buddy. The factory HID and halogen are two different beast. The HID are D1S bulbs while the halogen are 9006 for low beams. But the high beams are the same for both, 9005.

KOT

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
12 Posts
Yea, I agree, it was a pain in the but, with a dremel and glue, anything is possible. I got it swapped out by cutting a part of the black housing for the hid to fit through after removing the halogen housing. Tested the first one, and everything works perfect. I'll do the other headlight tomorrow.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
6 Posts
So the original question wasn't answered? It seems very difficult to get a direct answer on this including from the dealers. If you buy complete halogen housings and remove hid housings will the harness going to the connector on the housing match? And do the housings fit physically? They look the same on both units. I believe there are 4 or 5 wires on the harness. I've had repeated problems with the driver side hid going out and there's moisture in the housing. I don't plan on keeping the car much longer either, so this route is much cheaper. Always negative to have one headlight on when trying to sell.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I need to know the answer to the same question will the connector the goes into the hid housing fit the housing of an Halogen light ,simple question, I got one cracked HID housing and the other looks like someone ran a brillo pad over it (which by the way did not happen),so with 217,000 miles on it I just need working lights so no ticket can I do a switch to Halogen housing plug out plug in

Thanks

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
12 Posts
I need to know the answer to the same question will the connector the goes into the hid housing fit the housing of an Halogen light ,simple question, I got one cracked HID housing and the other looks like someone ran a brillo pad over it (which by the way did not happen),so with 217,000 miles on it I just need working lights so no ticket can I do a switch to Halogen housing plug out plug in

Thanks
yes.... look at the answer right above your post :)

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
12 Posts
Just don't plug in the electrical to the pump for the headlight if the new headlight doesn't have it... if you do.. you'll peeing some washer fluid every time you spray your windshield.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have a link to the wiring harness. I am trying to convert from Xenon to Halogen for my 2005 CTSv and the harness for the V has 5 blades where the halogen has 4.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts