Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 607 RWHP 627 TQ 2013 SRX, 1998 Seville STS
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have added more and it keeps dropping below the cold fill line. I understand the system only holds 2 Qts. When i first bought the car from the dealer the level was low and they filled it up and now 8 months later, its low again. Any ideas? Is this normal? could it be evaporating? Anyone with similar issue? My question is where the heck is it going???

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
They may not have bled the intercooler from the factory. I have seen it ALOT.

There is a small valve on the top on the driver side of your factory exchanger. It is the size of a 3/8s ratchet head. Take off the plastic cover on the front of your engine bay on the bumper, Then remove the 2 10mm screws, then take out the push pins, that will give you enough room to barely fit your hand in there to loosen it, Then when you do that, have someone fill the res until you see a solid stream of fluid come out of the little valve on the side, then tighten and reinstall everything.

IF it still disappears, then you have a leaking internal heat exchanger core inside the lid of your supercharger. I have seen that too. You can re weld the seam, or just take it in for warranty if you trust the dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They may not have bled the intercooler from the factory. I have seen it ALOT.

There is a small valve on the top on the driver side of your factory exchanger. It is the size of a 3/8s ratchet head. Take off the plastic cover on the front of your engine bay on the bumper, Then remove the 2 10mm screws, then take out the push pins, that will give you enough room to barely fit your hand in there to loosen it, Then when you do that, have someone fill the res until you see a solid stream of fluid come out of the little valve on the side, then tighten and reinstall everything.

IF it still disappears, then you have a leaking internal heat exchanger core inside the lid of your supercharger. I have seen that too. You can re weld the seam, or just take it in for warranty if you trust the dealer.
Wait4me. Thanks a ton for the info. I will give it a try. Is there a simple way to see if there is a leak in the internal heat exchanger.? So I can rule out both. Also, it says in the manual to us a 50/50 mix of dex and water. I have been just adding 100% dex. Is that ok or is it a must that it be 50/50, and if so, how do I drain it all out and refill with 50/50? Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
11v,2 09 v's,2 05 v's,5 GTM supercars,viper,volt,2012 karma
2,997 Posts
You are fine with using dexcool, they just don't want it to be straight water so it wont freeze.

For the test for pressure leakage, you have to pump up the system to about 5 psi with the lid off and flipped upside down, If it leaks, you will see a wet spot or stream. USUALLY they only leak when boost is present. If it has a hole, usually the res is under a lot of pressure after a run, or you see it blowing out of the drain tube.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are fine with using dexcool, they just don't want it to be straight water so it wont freeze.

For the test for pressure leakage, you have to pump up the system to about 5 psi with the lid off and flipped upside down, If it leaks, you will see a wet spot or stream. USUALLY they only leak when boost is present. If it has a hole, usually the res is under a lot of pressure after a run, or you see it blowing out of the drain tube.
Thank you so much Wait.. Would you take off the pulley and take to dealer for a look or would you say it most likely was not bleed we'll enough? Also,does these cars lose any coolant ever from normal evaporation? How often should you check and add some if low? Or should coolant never be low?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
This made me want to check mine and sure enough it is low. Im running water wetter + water + whatever coolant was left in the system when i did my hx install. Hoping there was still enough dexcool in there to prevent freezing as we got down to about 19 a couple nights ago here in Dallas. Planning to figure this out tomorrow. Ill pull the sc lid and check it out. If nothing else it'll be a good time to clean the intercooler

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This made me want to check mine and sure enough it is low. Im running water wetter + water + whatever coolant was left in the system when i did my hx install. Hoping there was still enough dexcool in there to prevent freezing as we got down to about 19 a couple nights ago here in Dallas. Planning to figure this out tomorrow. Ill pull the sc lid and check it out. If nothing else it'll be a good time to clean the intercooler
Please let me know how it goes. How much did you need to add? When you pull the lid off should there be any coolant in there?

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
There shouldnt be any fluid visible when pulling the supercharger lid. If you're talking about the cap/lid to the shot glass sized reservoir, yea there should be some in that. I filled it, started the car, filled it again, and repeated about 10 times until it held a steady level. I didnt mess with bleeder screw just yet, but i did bleed the system significantly when i installed the HX a few months ago so that shouldnt be my main issue, but it definitely needs to be bled now. I'm hoping there's just a loose hose on my HX setup. I have the stock HX running in line with an aftermarket one. It did get cold enough to freeze here, but my car is in a parking garage, so im hoping that kept it warm enough to prevent freezing and cracking anything. Its kinda dark in the garage, but i did see some minor amounts of fluid on the splash guard below my aftermarket HX, so that's easing my mind slightly making me think it's a loose hose (fingers crossed). Ill pull the bumper off tomorrow and report my findings tomorrow afternoon

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Alright this will have to wait until tomorrow. It's pretty nasty outside here today and Im not feeling up to driving to my parents garage today

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
I posted in your other thread, but just to update this thread, I filled the system, pulled the SC lid, blew air into the overflow tube coming off the reservoir to check for leaks and this worked well for me :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My issue ended up being a leak inside under the supercharger lid. Once I took it off I saw Orange coolant all over the place. Took it to the dealer and they ended up replacing the entire supercharger.

·
Registered
Had 2009 V, Red/Blk 2016 Now
4,186 Posts
19? Is that Celcius??????????? :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts