Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to purchase a 2000 DTS with 51k original miles. Whar are the drawbacks to these cars. I currently have a 97 Deville Concours, but this car appears to have much more to offer to include a complete body style change. Any body/interior changes from the 2000-2005???

Just need help....thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
With that kind of low mileage, I'd ensure that the coolant was changed on time. By now, the car should have had TWO coolant changes if it is still using the orange coolant. That would be 2004 and 2008. If you are coming from a 1997 model however, your overall odds of H/G failure will decrease significantly with a 2000 anyway, as 97-99 were bar-none the WORST offenders for that nasty problem. Far as I'm concerned the DTS is the nicest of the three Deville models from 2000 to 2005. The cars did not change a whole lot from 2000-05 but they gained and lost some features over the years. For example the 2000 COULD be ordered with Night Vision, but NOT with the Touchscreen Nav that came in about 2002. Later Nightvision was dropped but heated and cooled seats were added and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
1988 SDV; 1997 SDV D'Elegance
1,401 Posts
I have a '97 Deville and rented a 2000 DTS when they were new. I found that the 2000 version was smaller in the inside than the previous (97-99) model. other than that though, they were nice - but not nice enough for me to change from my '97.

Now that the 2006+ models are out there for a good price, I'll probably be getting one of them as my next car.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
The only thing I didn't LOVE about my 2000 DeVille DTS was the squeaky center armrest. I never could figure out how to get rid of that damned squeak. But the car turned heads and was very, very powerful. There's so much power at the top-end with the Northstar engine. I loved driving that car and I do miss it...

·
Registered
DTS
1 Posts
Ok I'm going out on a limb here. You asked a question that I for one will give you an honest answer. Seems some people just want to see you buy a car because they have one. Now for me an honest answer to this question is VIBRATIONS some of these have a vibration issue that feels like a wheel balance problem that isn't the case. Test drive the car on the highway. My 2001 DTS starts to vibrate at 55 and doesn't settle down until almost 80.
Please guys the question is "what are the drawbacks" he already likes the car but we all want to make sure he doesn't get stuck with a lemon. Tell him what he needs to look out. And don't come back with general crap that any high school kid knows. He needs to details on DTS 2000~2005 model issues.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
The only thing I didn't LOVE about my 2000 DeVille DTS was the squeaky center armrest. I never could figure out how to get rid of that damned squeak. But the car turned heads and was very, very powerful. There's so much power at the top-end with the Northstar engine. I loved driving that car and I do miss it...
My Seville does the same thing. Unfortunately I think it plagues the '98+ Seville's and '00+ Deville. Great cars though, I've driven quite a few and always fallen in love with them.

·
Registered
Cotillion White 2002 Deville
114 Posts
The 2000+ models are a huge improvement over the 90's. I drove a 98 Deville myself before getting my '02. The 2000+ interiors are MUCH better put together in my opinion; I had a lot of rattles and a dash with huge gaps in it in the 98, but the 2002 is much tighter and there are no rattles at all. It seems to me that the ride is "tighter" as well; they may have improved the suspension and/or reinforced the frame -- that I don't know.

Yes, there are some "trouble spots" you want to look for. Drive it around a bit, shut the engine off, then drive around some more. Then check the codes to see if any codes come up after 2 driving cycles. Here are some things to look out for:

-Torque Converter Clutch solenoid. This isn't exclusive for the 2000-2005 model but does affect them. You can search on this to read more. Once it goes bad, it's a $2000 repair. However, most forum members agree that its "optional", i.e., your transmission will do fine if you don't fix it. Only problem is a bad torque converter clutch solenoid will set a Check Engline light, which may be a problem for you if you live in a state where your car must be inspected yearly. To test the DTS in question, put the car in D, drive down a straight road and get to 41mph+. With your foot still on the gas, tap the brake, and watch to see if the RPM gauge goes up slightly (we're talking 50-250 RPM here.) If it goes up slightly when you tap the brake then you're fine. If you observe no change then the TCC solenoid is suspect.

-Suspension. Again, not exclusive to the 2000-2005 models but still is an issue here. The DTS uses the very expensive electronic shocks; the front shocks cost about $1000 per shock if I recall correctly. If they're bad, you're in for a steep repair. May or may not set a code; may or may not cause the dash to say "service stability sys". At only 51k miles you probably don't have to worry about the front shocks, but the rear air shocks can go bad due to age and dry rotting because they're rubber (just like all the other Caddy's). The DTS's rear air system is more expensive to service than the base Devilles (just as the Concourse's suspension was.) Check to make sure that the rear end of the car does not droop; if you're looking at the side of the car from a distance, the rear end should look slightly higher than the front, as if the car has a slight rake to it. Replacement OEM rear shocks will be about 500 a piece plus labor if you don't want to do it yourself (although if you're handy with cars it isn't a very hard DIY project.)

-Motor mounts: This seems to be a problem on the 2000-2005 models because they redesigned the motor mounts for these years. (Several forum posts on this topic as well). If you have any clunking or groaning noises on acceleration or when you put the car into gear, motor mounts (especially the front motor mount) are suspect. Another thing you can do is drive very slowly to get a rolling start, let your foot off the gas for a few seconds, and then hit the gas again. If there's a thump or clunk, the mounts are bad. The parts are cheap (about 100 bucks or less) but the labor can be expensive and it's not particularly a breeze to do it yourself. They all go bad at some point on the 2000-2005 models; its just a matter of when (and the life of the mounts seems to shorten if you are a more spirited driver.) A couple of the forum members are working to design solid or semi-solid mounts that won't break like this, so if the DTS you're buying has bad ones, you could wait until those are available so you won't have to keep on dealing with this! (HINT HINT GUYS! Let's get those solid mounts made!)

-Oil leaks and consumption issues. There is a differnece between a leak and oil consumption. Oil consumption can be cured by driving the car like you stole it; also by doing several WOTs on the expressway to blow the carbon buildup out of the engine. Babying it around too much will cause carbon to build up and will cause you to use more oil. However, the 2000-2002 engines can still LEAK (a problem carried over from the late 90s models.) Although the case halves were redesigned for the 2000 year, there are still instances of them leaking and they were redesigned AGAIN in 2003. Look underneath to see if the car is leaking oil; if it is, you'll always have to deal with that. Generally speaking its a slow leak, but still a nuisance to bear in mind.

-Plenum issues. The 2000-2005 models tend to crack plenums, which can cause idle and performance issues. There is a post about this in the "Tech Tips" section, "2000+ Northstar Plenum Replacement Steps." This is a nuisance but luckily it is a $30 part and can be replaced in about two hours for a do-it-yourselfer with some skill, or about an hour and a half labor time at the dealership I think.

-Crankshaft position sensors. Some cars have these go bad, which can cause idle issues and stalling. (Several posts on this too.) Once again, though, more of a nuisance than anything because replacement sensors are about $40 apiece (there's two of them) and labor time is about an hour to an hour and a half to replace both.

·
Registered
2001 DTS(140K), 2000 ETC(284K), 1990 allante( 80K)
1,915 Posts
OMG i know mine doesn't shit up!!!. and plus the seat squeaks too i guess its my driving position.\

·
Registered
1989, 2000
76 Posts
My Seville does the same thing. Unfortunately I think it plagues the '98+ Seville's and '00+ Deville. Great cars though, I've driven quite a few and always fallen in love with them.
My Regal has the armrest squeak...
and my neighbours 02 SLS squeaks like crazy...

Is yours a 5 pass or 6?

·
Registered
2006 Escalade, 2002 Deville DTS
974 Posts
WOW... you guys are funny. Very useful information. I checked out a 2004 deville base model at St. Claire Cadillac, in Santa Clara. She was past 100,000 miles and the console was broken, the back windows need motors, it ran very hard and had sounds coming from under the hood. It was like cutting through the porsche dealership to the old used car lot. (EDIT) They were only asking 4,995 and it looked pretty good still.. I just don't have the money to bring this one back. OH.. and they did tell me it seeped, and that was common. Might need some wheel sensors too. (EDIT)

So this week I'm taking about a 9 hour trip for that moment I'm waiting for.. You know when you stick that key into the ignition and pray it's not the money pit. Anyway.. Hope somebody else reads this before buying their next deville. I wonder how many Deville's, bad offsets and wrong sized rims murdered? I seen some nice looking cars on 24's... and I've seen some cars done in bad taste on 24's the same. I don't feel safe at high speeds with such little rubber on the rims. lol This car looks great on 22's. and looks good on 20's too, lowered. Or.. maybe some 19's and a nascar tune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts