Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a BMR strut bar second hand. The bar I purchased has the "BMR" logo, not the V emblem. The "BMR" emblem itself is aluminum and it looks to have been machined on a CNC router of some sort. The problem is that whatever they used to adhere the emblem to the bar didn't hold.....the emblem was loose in the box and you can see adhesive on the back of it and on top of the bar.

Any clue what I could use to reattach metal to metal?

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
JB Weld is a fantastic hard adhesive, a metal-infused epoxy resin that is tough to beat.

Shoe Goo is my favorite, though. It used to be used to repair sneaker soles, but has been embraced by the hobby world and others. It is a liquid rubber with solvents, when the solvents evaporate the rubber hardens and it is some pretty incredible stuff. It is a great adhesive that can flex to avoid cracking. You can find tubes of it at HomeDepot, ect. Try this, dab a piece on a piece of paper...let it dry for a day. Then see if you can find a use for it or two. Next to my socket set, it'd be the best "tool" I own.
I don't know how it would hold up to the heat of the engine bay, but it's worth a try. Even if you decide to use the JB Weld, I bet the Shoe Goo will be your first choice for glue going forward.
-ace

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Shoe goo, or any of the derivatives is good.

There is also "vulcanized cyanocrolate" (aka black or rubber cya), basically many of the advantages of shoe goo added to a very quick setting super adhesive. Check your local hobby store - about $6.00 for a bottle and has many, many uses.

Bet money the black cya will hold the emblem on under the engine heat forever ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts