Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok looking for some insight. Currently leasing 2012 CTS Coupe performance. Lease is up in July. Looking at ATS Coupe performance or ATS Sedan 2.0 Turbo Luxury. I really cant decide. Coupes are very hard to come by in Illinois. I love my Coupe but when it comes to passengers I cringe when they have to get out. Also, can't really put to much in the trunk and as my son tells me the CTS back seat is only able to hold toilet paper. Basically I am looking for opinions about; Coupe or Sedan and then 3.6 or Turbo.

----------

Sorry the Sedan was the Premium edition if that makes any diff.

·
Registered
2016 ATS V
295 Posts
I can tell you that the ats back seat in the sedan (I own a 2013 ats4 3.6 luxury) is not big either so can only imagine the coupe is not any better. As for the engine, based on the issues with the 2.0t I would recommend the 3.6. I thoroughly enjoy the v6 and have driven the 2.0t and the big difference for me is the sound, not a big fan of the 4 cylinder sound (not big on the v6 either as I'm a v8 lover).

Overall it's down to what you enjoy. Either one you will like. Good luck!

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
First you mentioned the Sedan is luxury, and I was going to comment about the differences between luxury and premium/performance trims. But then you edited that you are considering Premium Sedan, which is the best! So no comment on that!

What I can say is that don't settle on something that you don't like just because of local unavailability. Get what you want and what pleases you, or else you might be regretting it in the future! Keep looking around and even ask the dealers about possibility of a dealer-to-dealer trade so that your local dealer gets the car you want from another dealer that has it. If they want your business, they do it for you. Worst case scenario: a $100 air ticket can get you to a different city or state which has your exact desired car and then you can drive back home in your new car.

As for 2.0 liter vs. 3.6 liter, go and drive both and choose the one that you like better. There is nothing wrong with 2.0 liter turbo.

I am still undecided about the coupe. The CTS coupe was dramatically different from the Sedan in a good way! But the ATS coupe is soft and conservative. Just my two cents. Once I was considering CTS, and wanted the coupe because of its looks. But as for ATS, there is nothing special with the coupe to justify the reduced practicality. But again, this is my personal opinion and others might have a different one.

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
2.0 or 3.6 doesn't really matter too much. As Ben said, drive them and see what you like. If you are looking to mod the car then you probably want the 2.0T If not you'd have to see if you feel the 3.6 is any better than the 2.0T or if the 2.0T has plenty of power for you.
Just my opinion, but I think the ATS sedan looks much better than the coupe. That said, I also felt the CTS sedan looked far better than the coupe as well so your opinion may differ as you had a coupe. I just couldn't pay $2000+ more for a coupe.

·
Registered
'15 ATS Coupe Lux
93 Posts
If you're going to have passengers in the back seat on a somewhat regular basis, I would stay away from the coupe, unless your passengers will the toddlers in your family

·
Registered
Prev: 2004+2007 CTS 3.6 - 2016 ATS 2.0T AWD Lux. Now: 2018 ATS 2.0T AWD Luxury
2,245 Posts
I feel the ATS Sedan looks better than the ATS Coupe.
The Coupe is just a 2 door version, with a few more items
standard in the base + luxury versions, thus costing more.

If you want HID, sig lights, warning seat on Sedan, you need
Perf or Premium. Compare brochure carefully for items you want.

The ATS coupe is a lot harder to get into the back seat than
the CTS coupe you have.

The ATS 2.0T has more torque on the 2015, making it about
as fast as the 3.6.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
If you're going to have passengers in the back seat on a somewhat regular basis, I would stay away from the coupe, unless your passengers will the toddlers in your family
Even then, I assume the the coup has longer doors, which are hard to open wide for car seat access in parking lots. If there is any regular use of the backseat, I'd go sedan.

If the coupe were significantly lighter than the sedan, I'd be a bigger fan of it. Without a real performance difference, I wouldn't want the coupe if it were my only car unless I was single or had another family vehicle if married.

·
Registered
14 ATS 2.0/11 Camaro SS
200 Posts
as someone who also has a 475+ HP LS motor in his Camaro, I can tell you I am very impressed with the powerband and performance of the 2.0T. If there weren't the "issues" with it blowing and piston problems, which I still think are rare, I would 100% recommend that option.

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
I feel the ATS Sedan looks better than the ATS Coupe.
I agree but looks aren't everything. The coupe rear fender top line is a continuation of the rear window bottom making the top (and fenders) look like separate parts. On the sedan, the fender line slowly dissolves into the C pillar. I've passed on cars in the past for just that one design element, an earlier E Series Merc was one. And Cadillac moved the coupe fender lower edge right into the middle of a flat area of the car design instead of have it hugging a styling line like in the sedan. Its obvious this was done to make the fender cheaper to manufacture by making the shape much less complex. Unfortunately that makes the seam stand out like a sore thumb to my eye. A very dark color masks that a little, but dark colors mute the entire design of a car.

·
Registered
CTS AWD DI
68 Posts
They did a bad job with the ATS coup, as someone else said. It is just a 2 door ATS sedan. As for the best looking, in my mind the second generation CTS coup is by far the sharpest Cadillac ever built. What I like about my 2L turbo is what it can do while going 40 or 50 mph there is still plenty left in the tank if you want to giddy up and go. Not many cars can match that top end power. Not that I race my car or anything like that but there is a lot of power there.

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T RWD, DP, Intake, HPT, CC
2,404 Posts
What I like about my 2L turbo is what it can do while going 40 or 50 mph there is still plenty left in the tank if you want to giddy up and go. Not many cars can match that top end power. Not that I race my car or anything like that but there is a lot of power there.
stock, the V6 will walk the 2.0T from a roll.

12,778 Posts
Ok looking for some insight. Currently leasing 2012 CTS Coupe performance. Lease is up in July. Looking at ATS Coupe performance or ATS Sedan 2.0 Turbo Luxury. I really cant decide. Coupes are very hard to come by in Illinois. I love my Coupe but when it comes to passengers I cringe when they have to get out. Also, can't really put to much in the trunk and as my son tells me the CTS back seat is only able to hold toilet paper. Basically I am looking for opinions about; Coupe or Sedan and then 3.6 or Turbo.

----------

Sorry the Sedan was the Premium edition if that makes any diff.
Good Evening Soapy,

I understand that you are seeking opinions from forum members about your next Cadillac, However; I am glad to provide specific model information, perform vehicle locates, and set up test drives. Enjoy your weekend and feel free to send me a PM if you need any assistance.

Kind Regards,

Brandon M.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you don't need to make use of the back seat on a regular basis, then I'd go with the coupe. It's a striking vehicle in person, especially in radiant silver with 18'' forged aluminum polished wheels.

Both engines are excellent power houses. I'm particularly impressed by the 2.0T, but the 3.6L is a bullet at takeoff and the sheer sound of the engine makes it my first pick.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
I love my ATS Sedan; but I gotta say after driving the Coupe as a loaner I really love the bigger door and windows! Very reminiscent of the 2 door Eldorado in that respect. Rear seat room is not a high priority with me, and could easily see going for a Coupe instead of a sedan the next go around. The driver and passenger window size is very evident going back to my sedan. Why not test drive and see for yourself? Opinions are ok, but strictly subjective.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cadillac Cust Svc said:
Good Evening Soapy, I understand that you are seeking opinions from forum members about your next Cadillac, However; I am glad to provide specific model information, perform vehicle locates, and set up test drives. Enjoy your weekend and feel free to send me a PM if you need any assistance. Kind Regards, Brandon M. Cadillac Customer Care
What's up...I actually just traded in my cts 2012
3.6 performance coupe for the 2015 2.0 ats coupe performance 2.0. The car's interior and exterior is noticeably smaller to me :-( The cts 3.6 engine is more powerful and you will definitely feel the difference. The blind spots are not as bad as the CTS but I do miss my blind side alerts. My ATS does have a lane departure and driver awareness package but you have to look at the details of the packages. I thought my package would come with blind side alert but it doesnt, that's a different option.

Overal I prefer the cts

·
Registered
2013 ATS 3.6 AND 2012 SRX
32 Posts
I have a2013 sedan. Recently had it in for service and was given a loaner 2.0
Turbo. The 2.0T is smoother off the line. But V-6 howels and has that bad ass attitude.
Again it is all up to what you are expecting from the ATS. Great car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone, dealer located: black on black premium sedan 2.0 turbo.with polished 18 inch. Problem I am presented with is: lease is up in July and dealer needed to put a car into service and the car I chose is that car. I am fine with black on black but still up in the air with 2.0 vs 3.6. Driven both I just can't justify the extra dollars I THINK,

·
Registered
'14 ATS Premium with 3 pedals | Past: '13 ATS Performance & '99 Seville STS
5,847 Posts
If you cannot feel the extra power or linear feel that the 3.6l offer and cannot justify the extra money asked for it, and you are going to lease and will have the car back at the end of the lease, by all means get the 2.0 liter turbo.

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0 MT
68 Posts
I'm biased to the 2.0T as well, due to the better chassis dynamics/weight distribution and most importantly, I won't drive an automatic/paddle shift gearbox.

Drive them both and decide - you won't go wrong whatever choice you make - good luck!

...and BTW, I'm a fan of Italian and American V8s - although the 2.0T doesn't have the greatest sound, it has enough power to be fun and keeps the car toss-able/nimble.

Anthony

1 - 20 of 20 Posts