Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

So I finally received my 17" Polished Aluminum STS wheels. They are the kind that look very similar to the nice CTS ones, but they are two widths.

Anyways, they seem to be pretty scratched up. Like surface scratches.

They look like someone cleaned them with steel wool! LOL.

Anyways, on one of them, I used Mother's Mag and Aluminum cleaner, and it came out REALLY nice.

However, from what I understand, these are clearcoated. Therefore, I think I may be doing more harm than good.

Even if they look nicer after my Mother's handiwork, I understand that I could be rubbing off the clearcoat, which will result in more hazy wheels.

The guy offered me two options:

1 - He'll give me $50.00 because the condition isn't as nice as I thought. I'll polish them up.

2 - He'll switch them for much nicer ones.

I am thinking to go for #2, because for $12.50/wheel... heck! I'll take fresh ones!

However, if you guys have ideas on how I could polish/clean/buff them, then maybe I'll just keep these.

I can post all sorts of pics if required, but hopefully you knew which wheels I am talking about.

(I'll tell you... I may have killed the clearcoat (if there is such a thing), but that Mother's Mag polish sure helped!!

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Michael 514 said:
Hello!

So I finally received my 17" Polished Aluminum STS wheels. They are the kind that look very similar to the nice CTS ones, but they are two widths.

Anyways, they seem to be pretty scratched up. Like surface scratches.

They look like someone cleaned them with steel wool! LOL.

Anyways, on one of them, I used Mother's Mag and Aluminum cleaner, and it came out REALLY nice.

However, from what I understand, these are clearcoated. Therefore, I think I may be doing more harm than good.

Even if they look nicer after my Mother's handiwork, I understand that I could be rubbing off the clearcoat, which will result in more hazy wheels.

The guy offered me two options:

1 - He'll give me $50.00 because the condition isn't as nice as I thought. I'll polish them up.

2 - He'll switch them for much nicer ones.

I am thinking to go for #2, because for $12.50/wheel... heck! I'll take fresh ones!

However, if you guys have ideas on how I could polish/clean/buff them, then maybe I'll just keep these.

I can post all sorts of pics if required, but hopefully you knew which wheels I am talking about.

(I'll tell you... I may have killed the clearcoat (if there is such a thing), but that Mother's Mag polish sure helped!!

Advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
I would go with #2. The one application of Mothers really won't hurt IMO.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
584 Posts
Try Meguiar's Scratch-X, available at most Targets or Wal-Marts. The stuff is amazing for removing scratches in clear coated paint, should work well on your clear coated wheels. Clean the wheels and rub in using a terry cloth towel. It contains abrasives that break down with use, rub in for about a minute and then buff off. It may take 3 or more applications, but if it doesn't work, not much else can be done without stripping the clearcoat and refinishing.

·
Registered
08 Platinum Escalade, 08 CTS, 01 TransAm WS6, 07 SolsticeGXP
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Louie...! I was using a Microfibre cloth instead of a terry cloth. I figured it would be better.

Falk, great question:

The answer is that:

1 - It's nice to have a little project over the winter! If I buffed a wheel every month, the winter will go by faster.

2 - I do get to keep $50USD. That's kinda neat.

3 - I'm in Montreal. He's in the states. That means I'll have schlep the things over the border and mail them from my place in Champlain, NY, plus they were heavy.

I am just sooo not in the mood to pack them off and send them back.

But they, for $50 (or $12.50 a tire), it's pretty damn short-sighted of me to worry about all this... I guess I should send them back......!

I do like the way the Mother's worked, that's for sure!! Is there any way to know if I completely rubbed off the clearcoat? How do I tell??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts