Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the fill plug is for the STS-V? I see one bolt that is pretty much a rectangle and the ends are round and the other is where the sensor is. I know the CTS-V you unscrew the sensor so I am wondering if it is the same on the STS-V.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Your owner's manual should say where the drain plug is and where to fill the transmission.

How many miles are on your STS-V? According to the manual, you should be able to go a good amount of miles before having to worry about doing a trans service.

SG

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your owner's manual should say where the drain plug is and where to fill the transmission.

How many miles are on your STS-V? According to the manual, you should be able to go a good amount of miles before having to worry about doing a trans service.

SG
Manual says to take it to the dealership. I always put Amsoil after 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
There is no drain plug, that plug is to check the fluid level with. The fluid has to be changed with a flush machine, and the dealership has to do it. I did change mine to Amsoil after 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
There is no drain plug, that plug is to check the fluid level with. The fluid has to be changed with a flush machine, and the dealership has to do it. I did change mine to Amsoil after 4,000 miles.
WillySTS,

How did you replace the factory fluid effectively and the right way with Amsoil if the STS-V tranny fluid has to be changed with a flush machine? I am local and can bring mine in to have it flushed out and replaced with Amsoil or Mobil 1 ATF. What is the charge for that service?

SG

·
Registered
V2
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Willy is right you have to use a flush machine at the dealership. If you provide the oil they usually charge you 50/hr for labor.

Couple things I learned through this process.

There is a bolt on the drivers side that has a lever attached. That will throw your tranny into nuetral if it ever locks up etc. Once you roll the car the lever hooks back into the tranny and you can shift again.

The drain pan and bolt that allows the fluid out only houses excess or overfill. The fluid higher up is roughly 6.6 quarts.

In order to do a flush you need 12 quarts.

Right now I only have 3 quarts of Amsoil in my car but I can already feel the difference. I think my fluid was low because the stuttering I had in my Tranny is gone. Either that or the Amsoil fixed it.

I am going to drive the car for awhile and the next time I take it in put all Amsoil in there.

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
WillySTS,

How did you replace the factory fluid effectively and the right way with Amsoil if the STS-V tranny fluid has to be changed with a flush machine? I am local and can bring mine in to have it flushed out and replaced with Amsoil or Mobil 1 ATF. What is the charge for that service?

SG
The labor charge is $110.00 - let me know about a week advance if you want the Amsoil, as it will take me a few days to get it, unless you bring it. I don't have enough left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts