Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS sport model/package
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was putting my radio back in the car.....no problem. I went to put the bottom section with the heater control and ashtray in and the DIC went out and won't come back on. Now I can't start the car. When I turn the key it just goes click click click. I can get the key out. If I put the key in and turn it to power I can't put it in gear anymore either!

----------

When I turn the key to power, my heater control display kind of flashes and is real dim. The dash kind of blinks a lot too.

----------

Also, when I try and unlock the doors with the remote, one of the relays in the fuse box by the battery keeps clicking and the triangle lights in the headlights flash rapidly

----------

It's almost like there is a bad ground somewhere. But I didn't touch anything. I was just looking for my iPod adapter box. Took out the radio and heater control but didn't disconnect anything. Just went to install and everything shut off.

----------

Just to add......if I let the car sit for a bit and try it again, the DIC comes back on. As soon as I try to start it, it all shuts down again. This leads me to a bad battery or a bad ground. If it was a bad battery, I wouldn't think that it would all of a sudden just shut everything down. Battery has been great so far. The way the car is reacting, the battery would have to be pretty much completely dead.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I talked to a local mechanic. He said it sounds like the battery is bad. He said the car has a safety that won't let you do anything if the battery gets below a certain point.

Is this plausible?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6L
8 Posts
Yes. That happened to me on a road trip. The battery was five years old though. The DIC would show something like 14.9 volts under load, but disconnecting it and measuring with a multimeter showed that it dropped down to 8 volts in just two minutes. If you are in doubt, check it with a multimeter before buying a new battery.

·
Registered
CTS
7 Posts
If you had the doors open when working on the car the interior lights will drain a so-so Battery pretty quickly. Try placing on the battery a charger for a couple of hours. If the battery is good it will recharge fully.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys. I had to go out with some friends so I couldn't continue to work on it. But, before I left I took out the ECM, TCM, and one other fuse and disconnected the battery. I will leave it over night to reset itself and I will put the charger on the battery in the morning. I think I might replace the battery anyways seeing as how it went down so quickly. I got the car a few months ago and I have no idea how old the battery is. Living in Northern Ontario we need to have a good strong battery for cold cranking. Therefore, I don't want to ever have myself, or worse my wife stranded somewhere because the battery just isn't quite strong enough.

Gonna get back at er in the morning and I will update the progress. Thanks again for the help!!!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I plugged some fuses back in, connected the battery and threw a charger on it. Car started right up. So, I will be getting a new battery. The battery might not be horribly bad, but I want the piece of mind knowing that I have a good battery.

Thanks for the help guys!!!!

·
Registered
2003 CTS, 2011 CTS Coupe
166 Posts
wish i would have seen this thread earlier bro- This happened to me When i visited family in san antonio - My grandpa disconnected the wires that plug into the battery and decided to put new ones... My battery doesnt look new either- Well he changed those wires and i havent had that problem since... that was like at least 8 months ago if not more... But i was experiencing the exact same problem. Oh and my Gpa took the Battery somewhere and they said it was still ok -

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,337 Posts
the first time i had my battery checked, i was told it was ok. power and ground connections were both in good condition, so i tried a starter relay which didnt help. then changed the started and it was fine for about 3 months, then the same original problem came back, had the battery checked and was found to have a bad cell, no problems since the battery swap

1 - 9 of 9 Posts