Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by a friend I could take a 4.5 or 4.9 and put in place of my 4.1 87 caddy coupe deville without having to change the computer or anything else just drop in and drive. Somebody please let me know if they have heard of this or done this before, ready to get mine back together and would like to use something different than a 4.1. Thank You

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Need Help and Advice Please

I am the owner of a 1987 Cadillac Coupe Deville with 122,000 miles. It has the 4.1 with a flat camshaft in her. I was told I could change the motor to a 4.5 or 4.9 withouth having to change the computer or anything of that sort. I am not a gm computer guy and would appreciate hearing from anybody on if this is feasible.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
It can be done, but it's not a direct swap. The 4.5 throttle body is different from the 4.1. The ECM computer doesn't know the difference, and creates a rich condition in the 4.5 fuel injection. I've heard you can swap the 4.1 throttle body onto the 4.5 in later model engines like yours, but haven't done one myself.
You might consider swapping in a crate motor 4.1. The rebuilts tend to be reliable, with all of the common 4100 issues resolved. Plus, your computer will still function as intended.

Good luck!:hrazz:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts