Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this weekend my uncle and me replaced both left and right inner and outer wheel bearings on my 80 coupe, after being done took it for a spin and I advised my uncle that I still hear a noise....fast forward to today. So Im driving and I hear like a click clack sound, get to work, remove hubcap and dust cap was loose, raised up wheel and THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY MOVES WHEN HELD LEFT AND RIGHT AND TOP TO BOTTOM. I called him and he said that he tighten it and placed cotter pin. He says the only thing that he could think of that would loosen is the cotter pin. I replaced both with new ones.. he mentioned also that I should have left the old ones (cotter pins)
Is this true, I have never heard this before and now I don't want to drive car at all...what can I do...
PLEASE ADVISE..

·
Registered
1970 calais coupe
346 Posts
Now it's a long way from here to your locale but this is how I see it....

you MAY not have seated the bearing properly when you fitted it and "tightened" the nut....

after a little driving the race / bearing has settled into place leaving a ton of slack (even though the nut may be fixed from undoing with the split pin)...

pull the pin, tighten the nut till the wheel has no slack (yet still turns freely) and replace the pin...

a quick spin round the block should confirm you have now got a correctly adjusted wheel bearing.

in future if you are not 100% happy with repairs you make check it out before you drive to work....

OK that's my two bobs worth...hope it helps.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,671 Posts
The bolt shouldnt have came loose if the cotter pin was in, maybe it slipped out. How was the condition of the race inside the rotor? You should always replace cotter pins when needed, I buy mine in packs of like 10.

·
Registered
78 CDV, 79 CDV delegance, 80 CDV, 80 FWB 2dr delegance (rip)
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bolt shouldnt have came loose if the cotter pin was in, maybe it slipped out. How was the condition of the race inside the rotor? You should always replace cotter pins when needed, I buy mine in packs of like 10.
It looked brownish to me and the cotter pins were replaced; both sides. Do I just simply remove, tighten and reinstall pin and go from there?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,509 Posts
If it were me, I would take the rotor off, completely clean the bearings and races, inspect, repack the bearings, and put everything back together. That's just me.

·
Registered
1976 Sedan deVille
39 Posts
Hate to say it, but it sounds like you are in over your head. Get that car to a proper shop pronto!! You could have a ball joint about to go, bearings mis-adjusted, or any number of things worn or mal-adjusted. Most of this can kill you, ALL of it can cause a severe and sudden loss of control.

Next, take a community college course in auto mechanics.

Cosmo

·
Registered
70 Deville 77 Fleet 78 Seville 92 Deville 03 Deville
3,310 Posts
Don't panic! Just take out the cotter pin, tighten it up like allbymangled said and it will be fine.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Hate to say it, but it sounds like you are in over your head. Get that car to a proper shop pronto!! You could have a ball joint about to go, bearings mis-adjusted, or any number of things worn or mal-adjusted. Most of this can kill you, ALL of it can cause a severe and sudden loss of control.

Next, take a community college course in auto mechanics.

Cosmo
Or kill someone else if it falls apart while you're driving on a highway. If you're not sure of it get it checked out somewhere just to be safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts