Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I own a 3.2 Cadillac CTS 2003 and want to get my exhaust done.

What works best?
I don't want a loud muscle type sound. Just something nice and smooth.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
BLK2003CTS said:
Hey, I own a 3.2 Cadillac CTS 2003 and want to get my exhaust done.

What works best?
I don't want a loud muscle type sound. Just something nice and smooth.

Thanks in advance.
Not being sarcastic, so don't take it the wrong way, but the stock exhaust is nice and smooth. Anything you do the the exhaust is gonna make it louder and poppy.

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
There are a lot of exhaust threads on this. Check them out and look for tthe sound clips on the V-exhaust, B&B, Borla,Corsa and Magnaflow. I just puchased a brand new V-exhaust ( $100 ) and It'll bolt up nicely with little modification, and yes my duals are available.( I has 29k but is in near new shape).

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Check out cadifaq.com for sound bites of various set ups so you at least get an idea of what you're in for......

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
If noise is a concern you may want to consider the CTS-V exhaust. It adds a bit of low frequency sounds but very Cadillac. Cost is usually about $125 installed.

A couple of weeks ago I would have been reluctant to promote this. The theory is the larger size pipes reduce the scavenging of the gases. But we know have some new data. A few 3.2 members have done the install of the V exhaust and report no loss of HP and think they actually feel it increased the HP. No dyno reports. I have a thread going asking members to do a before/after dyno run for Forum feedback. If you would do something like this it would be wonderful feedback for other members.

It's $125 vs $1,000. The V exhaust has a beautiful set of tips too. Hey, 2 cents and good luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
RobertCTS said:
If noise is a concern you may want to consider the CTS-V exhaust. It adds a bit of low frequency sounds but very Cadillac. Cost is usually about $125 installed.

A couple of weeks ago I would have been reluctant to promote this. The theory is the larger size pipes reduce the scavenging of the gases. But we know have some new data. A few 3.2 members have done the install of the V exhaust and report no loss of HP and think they actually feel it increased the HP. No dyno reports. I have a thread going asking members to do a before/after dyno run for Forum feedback. If you would do something like this it would be wonderful feedback for other members.

It's $125 vs $1,000. The V exhaust has a beautiful set of tips too. Hey, 2 cents and good luck.:thumbsup:

As long as your warranty is over or you don't expect to make any warranty claims from Cadillac then go for it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
if you want quiter and smooth while saving some coin...i'd probably go with a stock 3.6 setup and get some nice tips. next i'd go with the V exhaust...

if you want some HP with a head turner, corsa, borla and B&B are what you want. the rate of increased sound is also in that order from first being quietest to last being loudest (corsa, borla, b&b)...

heres a pic of the borla on my white diamond, hopefully it works

·
Registered
466 Posts
:hmm: I have the B&B dual exhaust on my wife's '03 3.2L. I purchased it off eBay new, real cheap. It's a beautiful, all stainless steel system. It looks great on the car but I have to agree with my wife, it's too loud. I would assume it's louder on the 5 speed than the auto. In retrospect, I would go with the CTS-V exhaust.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
thats the exact reason i wanted the borla or corsa...i didn't want somethign TOO loud...and i think the borla is just enough without being too much...not sure how the V or stock 3.6 sound in comparison though...

·
Registered
2018 XT5 Black on Black
1,852 Posts
TripleOught their is an audio/video of the v exhaust install but I don't remember where. (somebody throw it out there). After listening to Robert and then hearing the clip, I and I think you will want to go this direction. I just purchased a new one from my Cadillac dealer (Its off the GM's fathers brand new V) and can't wait to bolt it on. I have the TonyA mod on now and I'll be curious to hear that combination. Robert I believe you have this currently, do you have a audio of this?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
well, if i hadn't already spotted the money for a borla, i might...but it really wouldn't be smart scrappin my 1000 dollar borla at this point.

the clip might be from dubbed stealth and i think it's at cadillacfaq.com. if i'm correct he has the V exhaust and magnaflow mufflers...unfortunately he also has the 3.6 versus 3.2

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
I put a Borla on my 3.2. Its quiet for a performance exhaust, but you can definitely hear it. It's a nice deep sound. The 2" pipes are the same as the stock 3.6L exhaust, and will give increase in flow. That coupled with a Volant will really wake it up.

HaveBlue sent me his stock airbox, and my TonyA modded airbox back. I'll be testing those on a dyno, along with my Volant, and a K&N kit soon, to complete the airbox challege. I'm curious to see what the Borla and these airboxes add to the HP.

I got on the gas last week with the cooler weather, pulling into traffic and the car got slightly sideways. I stayed on the gas and it kept burning rubber all the way through first gear WITH THE TCS ON!

It's nothing like CVP33's modded V (with a B&B among other things) though. It's fairly loud, especially at WOT. He took me for a spin on Saturday and showed me what 400+ HP in our cars does. He spun the tires in every gear (well, into fourth anyway, when we were doing ungodly speeds VERY quickly). He admitted he only gets 4000 miles on a set of rear tires. LOL

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
i just dont like how borla has no real sound clips for certain vehicles. corsa and b&b have differnt sound clips on thier websites.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
B Hoth said:
TripleOught their is an audio/video of the v exhaust install but I don't remember where. (somebody throw it out there). After listening to Robert and then hearing the clip, I and I think you will want to go this direction. I just purchased a new one from my Cadillac dealer (Its off the GM's fathers brand new V) and can't wait to bolt it on. I have the TonyA mod on now and I'll be curious to hear that combination. Robert I believe you have this currently, do you have a audio of this?
I haven't heard the V clip. I'd like to because what I hear is only from inside the car. To me it sounds like other Detroit muscle cars. My wife has a Hemi Magnum and the sound is similar. It just enough to let others know and still remain Cadillac. Many years ago I probably would have opted for the Borla.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Caddy Man said:
i just dont like how borla has no real sound clips for certain vehicles. corsa and b&b have differnt sound clips on thier websites.
I just got a new 6 MP digital camera that also does MPGs a few months back. I'll make sure to video my car on the dyno. You'll get the Borla idle and WOT sound then! I'll be sure to send it to Reed for inclusion on the FAQ. Actually, I owe him several writeups (Nivomat mod instuctions with pics, and the XM harness instructions with pics, to adapt the regular GM XM to our cars for about $5).

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
odysseus said:
I just got a new 6 MP digital camera that also does MPGs a few months back. I'll make sure to video my car on the dyno. You'll get the Borla idle and WOT sound then! I'll be sure to send it to Reed for inclusion on the FAQ. Actually, I owe him several writeups (Nivomat mod instuctions with pics, and the XM harness instructions with pics, to adapt the regular GM XM to our cars for about $5).
Ody,
Now that the weather is getting chilly you might not go out on the Sailboat as often and possibly catch up on your FAQ and that Dyno run.:D

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Four more races for the season, then I have 4 months off. Our boat buttoned up first overall for the year's high point award (it's actually 'low point' since race scoring is like golf scores, lower is better). We're into the 'Frostbite Series', which goes until the last week in November.

I'm hoping to take the day off for 'The 3.2L CTS Airbox Challenge' and get to Richmond for a few hours of dyno time, in the next two weeks. I'm very curious what the RWHP of a slightly modded 3.2L is with the Borla.

CTSDreams has a video with sound of his car accelerating with a Borla exhaust, that he emailed me. I though it was going to get posted over at CadillacFAQ. You need to install the proper Codec to view it, but it's easy to do.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where can I purchase the CTS-V exhaust? And will it void my warranty purchase...when i bought the vehicle, i bought 100k mile warranty, will that be voided?

How much does cts-v exhaust run for average?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts