Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Eldorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently had my car die on me with the engine control system orange light on. I changed the spark plugs, wires, module in the distibutor, the distributor cap rotor, etc.... It's not firing, what possible could be the cause of this and when it's turning over, the orange lights is comming on saying engine control system. What should I do I have the firing order correct. Everything was double checked made sure the plug where on correct, and went over it multiple times......

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
This is rather old fashioned, but have you checked for spark and fuel present? It's usually one or the other. Even the diagnostics in the book ask that question before further instructions are given.

·
Registered
1988 Eldorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
P052 (E052) ....................................................... PCM Memory Reset
B127 .......................... PRNDL321 Sensor Circuit Problem [Park Brake Release]
B552 .................................................... BCM Memory Reset Indicator

these are the codes I got from the DTC or witchever it's called. I don't understand what that has to do with the vehicle not starting though. It is much complicated.

·
Registered
759 Posts
P052 (E052) ....................................................... PCM Memory Reset
B127 .......................... PRNDL321 Sensor Circuit Problem [Park Brake Release]
B552 .................................................... BCM Memory Reset Indicator

these are the codes I got from the DTC or witchever it's called. I don't understand what that has to do with the vehicle not starting though. It is much complicated.
The 2 reset codes indicate the battery disconnected, probably when the Distributor module was replaced. Nothing to do with car starting. So go back to square one. check for fuel and spark, if the car will crank. My coin toss is heads-up for NO SPARK. the distributor may have a bad Pick- up coil or bad Cam sensor (Hall Effect switch) or the replacement Ignition module is still bad.

·
Registered
1988 Eldorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had purchased the pick up coil but i'm just confused to get the mainshaft assembley removed the instructions that came with it was fuzzy photocopy and can't see anything important.... I've tryed using auto zone as refference to photos I just don't see how to get the old one removed.... just mind boggles me. Do you know of any usefull sites? I've tryed to search the net but failed to find anything useful to myself. As of yet I'll keep looking.... or maybe you could point me in a better direction. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
759 Posts
Wait! you mean I was right??? and there is still "NO SPARK" ?

To remove the Dist =
Distributor clamp nut and hold down clamp needs a special C shape wrench to reach down under there to loosen it. For God's SAKE remember what position it is in when you take it out since it has to go back in EXACTLY the same way. make a scratch mark on the body to to engine for easy reassembly. There was a really good thread with pictures and everything on this Cadillacforums. Search this site for "Crank, no start" threads. I'll see if maybe I bookmarked it, too.

·
Registered
2003 Seville STS 35K
11 Posts
RY -I have an 88 Eldorado, and experienced the same thing a few years back. Car just quit while driving down the road. I replaced the ignition module with one from AutoZone (I think). Car started right up, then quit AGAIN within a few minutes. I replaced the ignition module (yep, again!) and the car ran pretty well from then on. Later, I replaced the pickup coil, and discovered it had broken into several pieces. The ring should be one solid piece, and mine looked more like a circus ring with the gaps in between. But, with a new ignition module and coil, the car has been without incident ever since.

BB

·
Registered
1988 Eldorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must have shit luck then. I got the pick up coil replaced. Basicly the modual, pick up coil, spart plugs (gaped to specs), wires cap, rotor, all is brand new. And STILL no spark, try testing it with the boot off the plug and angled. IT says the exact same codes once again.... But after all the codes it says (ECM?) then it's over after that then goes back to the clock or whatever.... So it's still possible the modual even thoug the POS is brand new?

·
Registered
759 Posts
are you sure there is a 12 V supply to the distributor?. I'm talking about the plug that goes to the cap of the distributor. check it with a VOM or test light for the 12V.

·
Registered
1988 Eldorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I had it running for approx 20 seconds, then it died out, I figured the fuel was low or empty due to the tube comming from the fuel filter was off. I put it back it with fuel ran for 20 seconds then the code E067 Cruise - Switch Shorted During Enable CRUISE came up... ??????

·
Registered
759 Posts
I don't have the schematics for you car but I don't think that has anything to do with why it is stalling. You need to check your fuel pressure with engine off. Obviously you have spark if you got the car to start. This seems to point to a fuel system problem as suggested at the beginning of the thread.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
the tube comming from the fuel filter was off.
Huh? There is only one "tube" coming from the fuel filter and that is the fuel line. Are you saying the fuel line was disconnected? Was there any fuel leaking from it? What engine is this? 4.5? TB injected or multi-port?

·
Registered
69 Thunderbird | 90 Seville | 03 Corolla | 89 Marquis(scrapped) | 72 Torino(scrapped)
2,026 Posts
The 88 is 4.5 TBI. Pretty much anytime a component goes bad in the distributor, you will get an E012. The computer doesnt have as much of a handle on the fuel system though.

Cranking the car with that line off will result in a HUGE fuel spill. Are you sure thats the line from the fuel filter? There are two connections, in from pump/tank, and out to engine.

--IN--->[FILTER]---OUT-->

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,118 Posts
If it is TB injected you should be able to look down the TB and see if the injectors are pulsing fuel as I recall.

·
Registered
1988 Eldorado
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well it's the 4.5 TBI, AT FIRST there was NO spark at all, but after the whole pick up coil bs, and etc, it ran like 20 seconds died out then come up with the E067 thing, there is fuel present now... I'm sure it's the fuel filter, it's where the fuel line goes to the engine, it's a black crcle it wasn't attached from. I had put 2 gallons of fuel in the tank from a jerry can, just to make sure there is fuel present.... the fuel pump is squirting fuel strongly still. now the starter just trys to turn over, but not fire, so I was hoping to figure what E067 means..... AHHH

I hope this helps...

·
Registered
759 Posts
[Official FSM QUOTE:
DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE E67 - CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
When the cruise control ON/OFF switch is 'ON', system voltage is available at one side of the normally open contacts on the SET/COAST and RESUME/ACCEL switches.
- If the cruise control ON/OFF switch is in the 'ON' position this system voltage is available to the SET/COAST and RESUME/ACCEL switches at key on.
- If the S/C or the R/A switches were stuck or their signal wires to the PCM were shorted to voltage, the vehicle could begin cruise operation. To prevent this, Code E67 well set and disable cruise control if signal voltage from the S/C (CKT 84) or R/A (CKT 87) is HI continuously for 10 minutes. Cruise control will be disabled until the PCM sees a LO on both of these signals.]

If you still think this could have something to do with your car stalling, UNPLUG the servo under your hood. If the car starts and runs normally, mystery solved. Maybe you can live without Cruise Control. If the same stall occurs then the code E67 has nothing to do with the stall but you still have a problem with the switch. Either way the solution to the E67 is to repair/replace the switch. Not a fun job, I've read.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts