Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, First time on this forum. I am looking for help on a 05 SRX I am working on. It has a number of electrical issues including a Parasitic drain I have traced to the I/P harness. I am hoping someone out there has seen this issue and can help.

In the C-4 68 way connector on the under hood fuse block I find current draw on pin 5 - I/P lamp fuse supply voltage, pin 11 - Low Reference, pin 40 - Horn Relay ( Normal), pin 42 - Lt park lamp Voltage, pin 58 - Rt park lamp voltage.

When I pull the connector from the bottom of the fuse block all drain goes away. Pulling fuses will not kill the drain! I assume this is going to be a bad I/P but there is also a DIM module involved. Hope I can get some guidance on tracking this down.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
When you pull the connector are you then measuring at the harness side or the block side?

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
There is a know issue with the dimmer switch causing parasitic drain. You will find a number of instances dealing with that here and may be worth looking into. The quick fix if this is the problem, is to change the setting on the dimmer switch.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am measuring the connector or harness. I pulled the fuse block all the way out and then checked the harness.

----------

There is a know issue with the dimmer switch causing parasitic drain. You will find a number of instances dealing with that here and may be worth looking into. The quick fix if this is the problem, is to change the setting on the dimmer switch.
I am aware of the dash light dimmer issue. I did also go through a bunch of posts on the electrical issues with the SRX. I did not see anything related to my issue.
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
What I read is that you get drain when measuring with connector attached to the fuse block but no drain on the connector once it's removed from the block- right? If so it sounds like arcing within the block. All your 'drain' pins are next to voltage pins.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What I read is that you get drain when measuring with connector attached to the fuse block but no drain on the connector once it's removed from the block- right? If so it sounds like arcing within the block. All your 'drain' pins are next to voltage pins.
Negative: When the fuse block is installed in the box with connectors connected to it I get a 3.75 amp draw. Also if the fuse block is installed and I pull the battery power cable from the fuse block all draw is killed.
That's the first step I made tracing it to the I/P connector. My multimeter is between the battery ground post and the ground cable. I also light my test light with a bright bulb indicating a strong draw when in series like the DMM.
When I remove the fuse block from the car and probe with a powered probe wire on the harness connector (C-4) l have the draw on those pins I noted. The low reference pin has the highest draw at 3.66 amps the I/P lamp fuse supply voltage is pulling 3.11. So this points me to the I/P or the DIM I think. The Parking Lamp Voltage also puzzles me why it is pulling anything but it is... Trying not to go any deeper on a wild goose chase if I am not correct.
Very experienced in electrical problems, first time I have seen a SRX with these problems. I am spending way too much energy to go down the wrong path!

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Do you have any after-market equipment such as add-on GPS, stereo system etc? If so, that is sometimes the place to start. Just a thought...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
08SRX,
Totally stock. No add on equipment...
I did notice that the CD player load button stays hot with the key out of the switch. Is that normal? Although none of this would affect the I/P pin out I am discussing...

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,135 Posts
Do you mean actually hot or lit? The stock CD player may retain power for up to 10 minutes with the key removed, but should lose it as soon as you open the driver door. This will instantly shut off accessory power.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you mean actually hot or lit? The stock CD player may retain power for up to 10 minutes with the key removed, but should lose it as soon as you open the driver door. This will instantly shut off accessory power.
What you said is what I would expect! CD player will come on with the door open and the key out if you push the load button. DIC screen activates and I believe it says "load" on it. This may be a CD changer with multiple CD platters, I did not
check it out. I tried the load button just trying to see if anything in the dash was hot early on in my quest to find this drain! I am aware of the accessory "timed power on" feature with the key removed, this is not the case. the CD works long after
the key is removed from the ignition switch and with the door open. Again this is not pulling any power unless you push the load button. It is on a different harness with no parasitic draw. I just found it strange for the CD player to have power
with these conditions...

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Try pulling the 4 rear block fuses. Reading the wiring schematics shows the entertainment circuits are always on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Try pulling the 4 rear block fuses. Reading the wiring schematics shows the entertainment circuits are always on.
Thanks for the input, I am aware of that. It was just weird that the load button was hot at all times. I am far past this point. I have isolated it to the above condition in the C4 connector. I find no other circuit pulling power after the system goes into sleep mode. I am hoping a Cadillac tech will see this and recognize this condition from experience with this problem. I do not want to dig into the I/P if this is not the problem. I am betting that it is a bad I/P cluster..

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
With the fuse block installed have you tried pulling ALL the fuses AND relays and then replacing one at a time?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
With the fuse block installed have you tried pulling ALL the fuses AND relays and then replacing one at a time?
Of course! First step in any wiring diagnostic! You are simply ignoring the facts that I am telling you. With the fuse block out of the car I have a draw on the C4 connector plug. The engine wiring harness is removed from the block, the rear fuse
block harnesses are removed, the body harness is removed. Nothing there but the I/P harness! I removed each of those harnesses with the power connected to the block. When all were gone all that was left is the C4 plug on the bottom of the
underhood fuse block. This is where I found the draw. No question about it, the draw is in the I/P connector! The pins I described are the ones pulling power....

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Try disconnecting the DIM and then the SIR module in the steering wheel. Could also be bad insulation/ broken wires in harness bundle. Pk. lamps may be bad LED logic. Was this car in a flood?

·
Registered
2008 SRX
5 Posts
I have seen connectors with wires that look connected but are not with the connector that was crimped on the insulation but it has broken the wire inside the insulation. It causes weird things to occur.
If you pulled a little on the wire it would break off finally. Not that this is the problem but I would check each of the harness connectors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts