Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 STS AWD V6 DI. Where can I find written instructions on changing out the front rotors and pads. I've done this many times before, but never on a Caddy. Are there any special tips to watch out for?
Also, are the rotors and pads from a local auto parts ok to use, or do I need to use OEM?
TIA,
John

·
Registered
562 Posts
It's just like any other brake job you've ever done. Really straight forward. The only thing that holds the rotor to the spindle is the lug nuts and a little torx screw. The lug nuts do the "heavy lifting" and the little torx just holds the rotor in position while removing other parts when the wheel is off. Really regular GM stuff.

And I'm sure there will be a lot of opinions on what types of brakes to use, most manufacturers make them, from cheap to expensive. I guess it might boil down to how long you plan to keep the car or how deep your pockets are.

After the car is off the ground and the tools and parts are lined up it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes per wheel.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,016 Posts
The caliper pins on the top and bottom of the caliper look similar but they are different. Make sure you put them back in the same place they came from.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
215 Posts
Its a simple brake job. I used acdelco durastop pads and rotors and have been quite happy. The rotors are the same as raybestos advanced technology so shop around for the best price.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
I'm tackling this project next weekend. Watched dozens of videos on YouTube and pretty much have a grasp on how to remove the 4 bolts off of the caliper, then the torque screw for the rotor, and then compressing the piston with the bleeder valve open so it goes in so I can insert the pads.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
... compressing the piston with the bleeder valve open so it goes in so I can insert the pads.
I've never opened the bleeders for that ... Just take the cap off the brake fluid is all I ever do which gives plenty of room for fluid movement.

K

·
0 Posts
Don't open the bleeders. You may inadvertently introduce air into the system.

·
Registered
'06STSV(sold), '13 SHO
616 Posts
I'm tackling this project next weekend. Watched dozens of videos on YouTube and pretty much have a grasp on how to remove the 4 bolts off of the caliper, then the torque screw for the rotor, and then compressing the piston with the bleeder valve open so it goes in so I can insert the pads.

4 bolts? There are only 2 bolts holding the caliper on. 4 bolts make me think you are talking about splitting the caliper in half. You don't have to do that to change pads/rotors.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
From most videos I've seen is two bolts holding the calipers on, two bolts holding the caliber bracket on, and then the torque screws for the rotors.

I actually dropped $16 on am impact screwdriver today and $9 on a caliper piston press tool to compress the piston properly. Want to do everything to spec.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SG
38 Posts
That a brakemotive setup Stringztoo? My pads came packaged differently from them
Actually that's a brake kit from r1 Concepts in California. Paid about $240 for the whole thing shipped to my door.

----------

I've never opened the bleeders for that ... Just take the cap off the brake fluid is all I ever do which gives plenty of room for fluid movement.
I've been told by a mechanic that's a bad idea because you're introducing the dirty crappy fluid back into the system, wheras if you just barely open the bleeder that old dirty stuff drips out, and then you top off with fresh fluid at the master cylinder.

·
Registered
07 STS 1SG / 10 STS 1SG / 17 XTS
336 Posts
Actually that's a brake kit from r1 Concepts in California. Paid about $240 for the whole thing shipped to my door.

Good choice with R1 Concepts, I put a set of their slotted / drilled rotors and pads on the 2010 and they have been great. Although I put a set from Powerstop (best they sell) on the '07 and the pads made so much noise I finally swapped them back to Hawks. so far the rotors are holding up.

·
Registered
114 Posts
stringztoo said:
I've been told by a mechanic that's a bad idea because you're introducing the dirty crappy fluid back into the system, wheras if you just barely open the bleeder that old dirty stuff drips out, and then you top off with fresh fluid at the master cylinder.
You can't really introduce anything dirty or crappy into the system that isn't already there (other than air)....I would be more concerned about damaging a valve in the ABS system by applying pressure in the opposite direction from what it was intended.

That said, I've done it both ways without a problem, BUT I would always bleed the full system in the specified procedure after I exposed it.

·
Registered
STS 3.6 DI Performance | ATS 2.0T
240 Posts
If you have a BREMBO breaks (perfomance pkg and sts-v got them) you have to remove two pins which holds the pads.
Push pads a bit left and right and slide it up
Then you have to remove two screws (only two) which holds the caliper.
Support caliper, remove old rotor.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you have a BREMBO breaks (perfomance pkg and sts-v got them) you have to remove two pins which holds the pads.
Push pads a bit left and right and slide it up
Then you have to remove two screws (only two) which holds the caliper.
Support caliper, remove old rotor.
Maybe where you are the performance pkg uses Brembo's but here only the V has them. The RPO's for the performance brakes are the JE5's and the standard brakes are the JL9's.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Maybe where you are the performance pkg uses Brembo's but here only the V has them. The RPO's for the performance brakes are the JE5's and the standard brakes are the JL9's.
The base STS that came with the "performance tire package" came with summer only tires and the J56 brembo option and 6 lug wheels. The other brake packages were the JE5 (up level brakes) and the JL9 base equipment.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As the original poster of this thread, I have a question - why didn't someone tell me what a B**** the caliper BRACKET bolts are to get out! :yup: No, I didn't have an impact and I forgot to turn the wheels to get a better purchase on the bolt heads. Duh!
I finally got everything back together, and took it for a ride. I did the 10 - 12 slower rides, and then a couple at 45 mph. The brakes are much better than before. When I got back from thr 'break-in' procedure, I noticed the new rotors were slightly bluish, I hope that's ok.
Again, thanks for the answers to my original question. Now I should probably do the rears...

·
Registered
562 Posts
The base STS that came with the "performance tire package" came with summer only tires and the J56 brembo option and 6 lug wheels. The other brake packages were the JE5 (up level brakes) and the JL9 base equipment.
Ah Ha! Didn't know that. Thanks for the upedate!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts