Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Wannabe
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, now that the body is done and we've got some time rolling in the caddy, looks like we're going to need a new engine. Compression in 2 cyclinders down around 100#, another 120#. Can hear some knocking in the lower end.

I'd like to keep cruising with the one we have in there now, while I source another.

What's the best way to go with this? I've never rebuilt a V-8 before...but could probably do it. I'm worn out from doing the bodywork...too much time in the garage welding and sanding when I should have been playing with the kids...don't need another huge project today.

I'd like a reasonably priced already rebuilt engine if I had my wish, though. Time is tougher than $$$ nowadaze.

Good rebuilders? Rebuilders to stay away from? Any of you got an engine looking for a home.

Oh yeah, I'm in Connecticut, so the engine has to get here somehow...no problem coming to pick it up in New England, but much further would be a shipping deal.

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Bob
East Hampton, CT

·
Registered
88 Cadillac Brougham d'Elegance
30 Posts
Look in the JY, as a crate 472 would be mega $$!!

And the parts wouldn't be that expensive, I wouldn't think........

I'd like to drop a BIG hp 572 in my 88, but I am so strapped for cash right now, I'd be lucky to have enough money for a fillup on my 25 gallon tank!!

·
Registered
'80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe
2,096 Posts
Compression tests are often incorrect. Do your cylinders that show low have any evidence of burning oil? Does the engine smoke or run really poorly?
You might be able to get away with replacing the main and rod bearings if the noise isn't too bad. Many of these cars got junked because of their characteristic main bearing noise which sounds similar to what other engines make before they give up.

K

·
0 Posts
You might want to think about doing your own rebuild. Assembling a long block is relatively easy compared to installing an engine. All you need is a machine shop you can trust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts