Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I'm in major trouble here. Last night I was working on my father's 1996 Cadillac STS. The keyless entry wasn't working, so I was messing around with the RFA module behind the rear seat. Ended up grounding one of the wires on the connector for that module, blew a fuse behind the rear seat. Replaced fuse. Everything works fine in car.

I go to start it, starts fine, everything is fine, except I get the BATTERY NO CHARGE warning. Check voltage at battery, its 11 something, not getting any charge. Only code present is IP1911. The closet thing I could find in the code page was B1911 - Generator L-Terminal Problem.

Check battery with voltmeter and at an auto store, checks out fine.

Its possible but highly unlikely that the alternator happened to go out by coincidence. I'm thinking I blew a fuse/relay something somewhere. Maybe the one that tells the alternator to "turn on". Please help me out. What can I check before pulling the alternator?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1996 STS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know the wires on the plug on the alternator? Can I test them with a multimeter to see if the alternator is getting the turn on signal?

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
The thickest fat wire should have 12 volts at the alternator. Thats the 12 volt "exciter" wire that signals the alternator turn on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts