Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys-I'm actually leaving it to the group to decide, or help me decide. It's a 2003 Deville with 23,800 or something miles. I know the repair history and it's nothing unremarkable; the miles are true. It's got 3 relatively minor issues; 1. The key fob is not with it so I'd need to get one. 2. It's got a crack in the right side view mirror (housing is fine) and the cover of the middle armrest will need replacement (you can see that in the photos) but I drove it and it's tight - the engine is flawless; it's quiet, everything works just fine. It was an off-lease. They have it for $15,999 which is 1k less than the internet price I'm linking here. The problem is that they will only give me about $4,250 for my car, 98 Deville with 73k miles and other wise pretty flawless. Here's the car;

http://www.brynerchevrolet.com/VehicleSearchResults?search=preowned&body_type=CAR&make=Cadillac&model=Deville&minYear=&maxYear=&certified=&engine=&transmission=&transmissionSpeeds=&drivetrain=&colorOEM=&colorExterior=&colorInterior=&fuelType=&cylinders=

Is this too good to pass up?

Thanks much. We're heading out to take the daughter to the train station to go back to school so I can't respond until later today if there are follow up questions.

Also, the dealer said he'd get me their dealer discount on the 3 parts I'll need and it has a 3 month, 36,000 mile warranty (but is otherwise out of warranty).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Come on guys-somebody has to have an opinion on whether or not I should get this car.

·
Registered
'04 Base Deville, Light Platinum - blew HG & SOLD
164 Posts
Stu,
I can say I bought my 04 Deville off-lease and couldn't be happier. Looks great, drives great.
Similar miles as yours too, 25000.
I do have more warranty left though.
The price doesn't sound bad for a dealer.
My concern would be what problems may be lurking underneath the hood.
You probably can search this site for what to checkout before buying.
Hopefully, the pros will chime in after the Bar-B-Q.

-jasper

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Well I would try to get them to fix the things you don't like while offering them what they're asking for the car. You can't ask for a price reduction AND to have things fixed. Only I can do that LOL.

If you don't think that's fair try to get them to repair 1 or 2 of the items you don't want to deal with. The key-fob is probably the cheapest of those repairs. I can tell you the heated mirrors are not cheap.

Other than that the price doesn't seem out of line.

I had the opposite. I got my car for $2000 less because of the Internet price. They said someone screwed up the web site. but had to give me the car for that advertised price.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I am going to get them slightly lower on the price (or higher on my trade-in). I agree about the sideview mirror-not only because it's heated but because it's got the turn signal indicator in the housing which causes a different cutout of the mirror. Can't wait to find out how much that costs. The center console lid can't be too much, providing they come in specific colors (grey). The fob is the cheapest and easiest to solve. I definitely want it. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
None yet
431 Posts
ide say to them give me 6000 for my car when they say no leave your number and say when ya can give me 6000 give me a call.......as a former car salesmen dont act like you want the car act like they want to sell you the car.......

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
This works also. I've successfully used this type of technique before too. Just remember to be reasonable about requests. Don't put them on the defence.

ide say to them give me 6000 for my car when they say no leave your number and say when ya can give me 6000 give me a call.......as a former car salesmen dont act like you want the car act like they want to sell you the car.......

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
I think that it's dirt cheap! I have not one, BUT two people nagging the life outta me to sell them my 2003 Lincoln Town Car "LIMITED" Edition with moonroof, HIDs 6-Disc In Dash Power Up & Down Trunk and more. She has 10,009 miles and they are throwing $20,000 at me !! Okay, she is flawless & needs nothing.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
I have no idea about the price, but I would have everything fixed before you buy it. If you can't those center arm rests are all over Ebay. I know because I have been looking for a DTS console to convert mine and see them all the time and they are cheap.

At that mileage I would ask them to certify it as well. Maybe they will do it for the asking price. Remember, everything is negotiable.

·
Registered
Cadillac
65 Posts
i got my 04 devill w/40k for about $19,000. they didnt wanna give me shit 4 mine (01 volvo s40 w/110k). after about an hour of negotiating they offered me 5k or my trade. i wanted 5k, but i told them that i still could do it , that this was a deal breaker and got ready to walk and they offer me another grand for a total of 6k. be patient. good luck
out,
tucci

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I got it. Paid the asking price and got a couple hundred more on my trade in. They "located" a new fob and programmed it for me-for free. They got me a discount on the console cover but I'll have to put it in. I just need a star screw driver. The side-view window is another matter. The best they'll do is get it for cost although the salesman said he'd try to push it through the warranty I purchased. I got the GM Major Guard warranty, 36 months, 36000 miles.

I will say that my old car, the 98, was more solid and comfortable than the "new" one but the engine is so awesome that it's a fair trade. I hate having the phone button on the steering wheel because that robs me of the fan speed button. Can that be reprogrammed? The trunk doesn't have auto pull down like the 98. The stereo sounds better although it's not the premium.

Anyone know if you can get a full options list based on the vin?

I like the park assist-neat feature. To be honest, I"m not thrilled with the color (light brown or "cashmere" as they call it) but I'm hoping it'll grow on me. The car didn't have mats and that's a bummer. But I absolutely love the tons of storage. Just some random thoughts.

·
Registered
'93 Cadillac 60 Special; '03 Lincoln TownCar Limited ED
5,929 Posts
Check the trunk for the mats. When I was in the business, we'd clean them & then toss them into the trunk, so they would not get dirty, again, with all the slobs, Oops, sorry...Customers getting in & out in the rain, out there in the lot.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, that's the first place I looked. It was also missing the net, so I took the one out of my 98.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
That should definitely be covered under the ext warranty.
The best they'll do is get it for cost although the salesman said he'd try to push it through the warranty I purchased. I got the GM Major Guard warranty, 36 months, 36000 miles..
Yes the instructions have been posted here somewhere.
I hate having the phone button on the steering wheel because that robs me of the fan speed button. Can that be reprogrammed?.
This was a very common problem item so they did away with it.
The trunk doesn't have auto pull down like the 98. The stereo sounds better although it's not the premium.

Pain code 54U Light Bronzmist Metallic AKA Cashmere. I hated mine to. Everyone else loves it.
I like the park assist-neat feature. To be honest, I"m not thrilled with the color (light brown or "cashmere" as they call it) but I'm hoping it'll grow on me. The car didn't have mats and that's a bummer. But I absolutely love the tons of storage. Just some random thoughts.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Lux III
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where does everybody get their mats? There's a ton of choices. I bought mats for my wife's Sable a couple years ago and thought they were crappy.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts