Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice ASAP

Might buy this car tomorrow night

1998 deville concouse

was advertised with 178 now has 187..price is at $3100

here is what the owner says"

187K versus the 178K in the ad. It leaks a couple drops of oil if it sits in the same spot for a long time. Once in a while when you back up it has a slight oil smell. I have not had it looked at. I did have the brake rotors turned and a new oxygen sensor installed. The check engine light comes on periodically and my mechanic said it would need the 2nd oxygen sensor replaced in order for the light to stay off...I opted not to replace it as it was $100 and it ran fine. The drivers side heated seat does not work. There are two dime size dents in the roof above the drivers side door but no paint damage.

Other than those items, the car is in excellent condition. Keyless entry, CD, clean leather, very clean engine compartment, very smooth and fast, shifts very well, no rust or body damage, good tires, all interior components work very well, etc.

should I do it or not?

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Well with one O2 sensor not working, your gas mileage will decrease. And is 187k a lot of miles for a N*?

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Ouch, that is alot of miles to go in with. Not saying it wont last, just a bit scary.

Id keep looking, if you can stretch your budget I had a 98 Deville Concours here in my town with 105k for 5500.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Re: Need advice ASAP

If you know how to fix it yourself HELL Yes but if your the rush to the dealership types then STAY AWAY from it.

if the body is nice enough talk him down to about 2500 and if he does accept it then it's a good buy a "fixer upper"

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
At 187k, the engine is probably fine if it's been maintained properly, but other stuff can nickel and dime you to death. Ask if the car loses any coolant and get the maintenance records. Push down hard on each corner of the car and count how many times it bounces. The price is OK, not great, but not terrible either. Get the codes from the car (click the link below to learn how) and post them here so we can tell you what's wrong with the car that keeps turning on the check engine light.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53635

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
Was the $3100 for the car at 178 or 187? You could probably get the price down to about $2500 or less. As the above posts have said, find out the codes and post them, McCowden is right on about the nickel and dimeing, you have to remember that even though the drivetrain is probably ok, the rest of the car still will show the effects of having 187 k on it. Items such as Ball joints, Tierodends, rubber bushings, Does the A/c work?, Does the heater work properly, meaning does the programmer send the air to where it is supposed to go?, These are things you don't want to have to do, after the fact. As for the heated seat, it is a real pain to change the elements in that, as the seat has to come right out and the cushions pulled apart to get at the old elements. Assuming that it is not the switch of course. Good luck and Good hunting, let us know what you come up with....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys,

spoke with the owner says a shop ran diagnostics and said it was a 02 sensor, he replaced one however the other one needs replacing.

oil leak is what scares me and the fact he has no documentation from previous owners at all.

car is extremly nice for its miles,
probably will need plugs, wires, pcv valve, fuel filter, decarbonizing the c.c. and throttle body. He put brakes,battery, oil pan gasket, one 02 sensor and tires last 6 months thats about how long he had it.

I offered him $2600 cash, lets see what he says he was firm at 3k cash there is a 98 concourse on ebay for $4k buy it now with only 104k miles on it.

its kinda scary to buy a car with a ses light on and oil leak even though it may be small

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed to $2600, so for this price should i do it? need answers please.

how much would a tranny rebuilt cost?
engine rebuilt?

·
Registered
97 deville
562 Posts
he took your first offer just like that!? i hate that =/ wanna know why? hes asking 3100, and you say 2600, he says yes no questions asked.

...he probly wouldve taken less.

as someone else said, there are very many 97-99 devilles with roughly 100k miles for a slightly higher price.

if you can drive it, and inspect every little stupid detail of the car as others have mentioned. ie the heat, a/c, windows, locks and such. speakers still good?

dont rush into it, youll get screwed i guarantee it. take your time, the right car will basically drive itself into your garage if youre patient, im sure of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I had to explain to him why I want to pay that amount he was not happy but understood and complied. I will get a ppi done and then buy it or not.

·
Registered
2005 DeVille
1,043 Posts
Hey, It's DBA-murder here. When I bought mine the guy was asking a lot higher and his wife was saying they had all kinds of people interested in the car. I told them if that were true we wouldn't be talking because the car would have been sold. I explained I had cash and if the car checked out we could make a deal. He took it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts