Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 ETC 2007 CTS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for help solving a TCS 1243 problem. I've read a few threads on the subject and have taken a look at my service manual and from that it points to a replacement of the EBTCM or the BPMV, both very expensive parts. I just have a hard time believing that i have bad parts. The car has been stored inside for almost two years, might have been driven three times, and during that ime I've done some maintenance. Last fall, along with some ERG valve codes, I had a C1232 code and only that code. I disconnected the battery, cleaned the throttle body and ERG valve, and replaced the LF wheel speed sensor. Once everything was repaired, replaced, and connected all the previous codes dissapeared but now the TCS 1243 has appeared. It's the only code I have. If I start the car with my foot on the brake pedal it's a history code but as soon as I release the brakes it becomes current. Does it sound likely that the EBTCM/BPMV has gone bad even though the car hasn't moved or is there something else I might look at?

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
I've seen a LOT of people trace this code to a bad ground to the EBTCM. Also remove the black cover on the EBTCM to reveal two relays, one is for the BPMV and the other is for the ABS Pump motor. Look in your service manual to determine which is which (usually the big one is for the ABS pump and the smaller one is for the BPMV). The relay for the BPMV may have gone bad.

·
Registered
1997 ETC 2007 CTS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've removed, cleaned, and replaced the ground on the end of the motor, can't find where the other end actually goes. it dissapears into the wire bundle, As of now I haven't split the EBTCM/BPMV as I don't have the proper torax bit to remove the screws.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts

·
Registered
1997 ETC 2007 CTS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Split the assembly might be the wrong way of putting it. Seperating the EBTCM from the BPMV by removing the electrical connector and removing the four torax screws. That is what I have to do to get to the relays is it not?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I don't have a picture of yours to go by, and it's probably different than the one on my 94. There are a couple of torax screws on the cover. There are only two on mine, on top and on they are close together. after unscrewing those, the cover lifts straight up and exposes the relays.... Again, I don't have a picture of it or anything to go by for yours so I don't know how different it is.

·
Registered
Cadillac
49 Posts
I have a 95 Eldo with this part. I'm not sure if they are the same, but you could call the dealer and find out. I know this one works, but I don't know if they are the same from 95 to 97. Most of the parts from 92 to 97 were the same. Maybe someone on here knows.

Dan
618-732-6215

·
Registered
1997 ETC 2007 CTS
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It looks like the part was changed after 1996, totally different design. I think it controls other features it didn't before. Like stability control maybe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts