Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Vrocks said:
How are you so sure that the new M5 handles better than the CTS-V?
Reported times around the ring are 7:52 and 8:13 for the E60 M5...I stick with the 8:13 time...I don't know where the 7:52 time came from. STS-V is reported around 8:30...not sure about the CTS-V but I would certainly expect GM to tout the numbers if they were good.

Also, various reports from E60 M5 owners overseas.

·
Registered
CTS-V
238 Posts
I posted this in an earlier thread about Nurburgring track times, but I'll post again here that in the Sept 2003 Automobile writeup on the CTS-V, their editors were able to lap in "less than 9 minutes, without trying too hard".

They also said John Heinricy, director of GM's Performance Division went around the circuit in 8 minutes 19 seconds "which is faster than the current M3 has managed to do". I'm not sure that that is GMs "official number".

Brian R.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
I will say this again because it is worth saying....

Put a seasoned Nurburgring pilot inside the V and we'll really see what it can do. No doubt Heinricy is great driver, he's raced longer than I've been alive, but place one of the Porsche or BMW test drivers...who've spent "careers" on the 'Ring and I bet we'll see some very impressive numbers.
-ace

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,204 Posts
MCaesar said:
The V is a very good car but I would bet the ranch it could not come close to beating a M5 around the ring
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=6979&page_number=1

Comparing V8 to V8 from C D

I expect a V10 M5 would Crush the V, 8:13 is not Crushing the V. If 7:52 is true, that's insane fast for a sedan. I think the new Z06 is 7:40ish, it's bested by few $400,000+ cars i.e. Carrera GT.

From C D

This chassis competence is critical because the CTS-V gains speed ferociously. Cadillac suggests a 0-to-60 time of 4.7 seconds, and the car felt entirely capable of that. When we test one, we expect a quarter-mile in the low 13s at close to 110 mph and a top speed in the low 160s, unless tire durability demands a governor in the 155-mph area.
Those figures should make the V-series quicker than a BMW M3 or M5. More important, John Heinricy, the director of GM's high-performance-vehicle operations and a successful racer for more than 20 years, says he's lapped the Nordschleife in 8 minutes and 19 seconds in the V-series—a better time than either M-car can turn.

I wonder if they ever cut Sabine loose for some laps at Nurburg in a V?

·
Registered
2005 Light Platinum CTS-V
59 Posts
JHenryAIA said:
New member here:
Have test driven 3 and 5 M series but not long enough to make a good decision.
Manual clutch on M5 was really nice. There are not too many options out there for 400HP sedans, which is what I want to stay in, not a Corvette, etc.
After reading some negative posts here about wheel hop, and other really odd issues,
would any of you present owners, knowing what you know now,
have bought a used M series rather than the CTS-V?
I really like the lines and technology that Cadillac has come up with in this model, but if I am going to burn through $35-45K for a used three year old BMW versus a one year old CTS, what should I do?
Thanks!
And they say there are no Dumb Questions :thepan:

·
Registered
300 SRT8, 392 cubic inches of tire smoking power!
8,204 Posts
MCaesar said:
That is not exactly an objective source!
Yeah, I know what you mean, usually they :worship: worship BMW! It must've been painfull for them to write that article.

·
Registered
158 Posts
koop said:
http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=6979&page_number=1

Comparing V8 to V8 from C D

I expect a V10 M5 would Crush the V, 8:13 is not Crushing the V. If 7:52 is true, that's insane fast for a sedan. I think the new Z06 is 7:40ish, it's bested by few $400,000+ cars i.e. Carrera GT.

From C D

This chassis competence is critical because the CTS-V gains speed ferociously. Cadillac suggests a 0-to-60 time of 4.7 seconds, and the car felt entirely capable of that. When we test one, we expect a quarter-mile in the low 13s at close to 110 mph and a top speed in the low 160s, unless tire durability demands a governor in the 155-mph area.
Those figures should make the V-series quicker than a BMW M3 or M5. More important, John Heinricy, the director of GM's high-performance-vehicle operations and a successful racer for more than 20 years, says he's lapped the Nordschleife in 8 minutes and 19 seconds in the V-series—a better time than either M-car can turn.

I wonder if they ever cut Sabine loose for some laps at Nurburg in a V?
The reason I mostly discount the 7:52 time for the E60 M5 is because a seasoned race car driver posted that time (can't remember who right now). I was more interested in more "normal" times that I could be capable of...or at least dream of :)

The old M5 did the full ring in around 8:30 so that sounds about right for the CTS-V to do it in less time.

There are very few cars faster then the E60 M5 on a track...it is truly amazing!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts