Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
Joined
·
14,075 Posts
BowenCT said:
... the F1s aren't that great in the snow.
Not sure how this relates to V vs M5, but to answer your question, the F1s and snow are mutually exclusive ... get some Avon Tech 550 A/Ss.

Now, back to the debate ... :alchi:
 

·
Registered
04' CTS-V, 04' Escalade EXT
Joined
·
623 Posts
And don't forget that one little other thing, EVERY JACKASS, THEIR COUSIN, MOM, DAD AND MAYBE EVEN LITTLE BROTHER, has a BMW.. No offense ment I used to drive one.
The V is great and for the most part STEALTH....more fun that way!
Just my 2cents.:D
 

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
04CTSVFLA said:
M - sleek + woman like power, but V= sleek + rip your balls off
now there's a mental picture that's going to require lots of expensive therapy to remove...:eek:
 

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
Joined
·
1,690 Posts
I vote next flame putter outter is... panda bears...
 

·
Registered
2005 STS-4 V8, 2014 XTS-4 VSport
Joined
·
87 Posts
I've owned an E46 330CCi (which is the equivalent of the previous generation M3) and I own a V. This is in addition to two C5s, a '65 CSX replica, SRT-4, and sundry other vehicles in the stable, including a 96 FWB. Based on my experience I will say that the V is a much better way to spend your money than the M (3 or a 5).:shhh:

First of all, if you're buying new the the M3 will cost 20-40% more money, and the M5 will cost 40-70% more. Second, the V will out-everything the M3, cost you less to maintain or operate (and modify), and give you the utility of a back seat and a trunk. The only place you can carry a set of golf clubs in the M3 is in the front passenger seat. Depending on who is doing the driving, real world driving performance comparisons between the V and the M5 are about even - I don't care what the statistics say. We don't drive on closed courses and skidpads. Usable space in the M5 is comparable to the V. The V will cost buckets less than the M5 all the way around. And I'll bet you haven't asked your insurance agent about the insurance cost differences. By my standards, the only reasonable justification for buying an M is to make a statement about how much money you have to spend on a toy. If you're looking for exclusivity, how many Vs are built compared to Ms?:rolleyes:

One other consideration, which happens to be a personal taste thing: looks. I think Chris Bangle's styling changes for the current model BMWs has done more to hurt BMW sales percentage wise than the Third Reich did by diverting all production to airplane motors. They are b$%t ugly!:thepan:

If going fast is your only consideration, you want a new Z06. If you want to go fast but need a small sedan that's reliable, has sedan features that are usable, and don't want to be pouring money down a hole, get the V. And if you really want a great ride, get a late model FWB, juice the engine, suspension, transmission, and brakes like some of us have and have the best of all worlds.:cool:

By the way, I dumped the 330 to move up to a C5.:cool2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thanks all and Grey Fox: latest analysis hit the nail squarely: I have been pricing 2002 M5s and they are $46K. Don't know I can justify that, and they have 40-50K miles on them. The M3 is not comparable in my mind. Very nice, but smaller, etc.
If dealers can fix the wheel hop and diff under warranty, then the CTS seems the best bet for the money.
I have not bought an American muscle car -- ever. This would be the first.
I really like the stealth aspect of the Caddy: the styling is truly unique. It seems a bit tall for its track or width, so I imagine it leans a bit more.
I like the angles.
I almost got into a vette but didn't want to worry about scraping the front end constantly and the generally stiff ride. It really is a racer and I just got a $350 ticket, 4 points, for going 80 in a 50 zone on the interstate, and that is not speed, just stupidity. I am thinking how stupid I might get in a Z06. Well, you can get stupid in Ms and Vs too!
Now I am looking for a silver metallic used model that hasn't been beaten up.
Can't have black in Florida!
Thanks everybody.
 

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
rand49er said:
Not sure how this relates to V vs M5, but to answer your question, the F1s and snow are mutually exclusive ... get some Avon Tech 550 A/Ss.

Now, back to the debate ... :alchi:
Haha.....ok "Grey V Man", settle down and try to lighten up a bit.................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
MacOSR said:
I am going from the CTS-V to a 2006 BMW M5 so here is my perspective on this...

I would take the CTS-V over the current M3 and an older M5 if you are looking for extreme power in a nice package. If power is not your ultimate goal and value elegance more then power then I would go M3 or M5.

If you want extreme power in an elegant package I would go 2006 M5 :)
I respect your decission however I vote V all the way, I almost took into the new M5 however no Manual tranny turned me off. With a car of true power I personally don't want a technical puzzle with different driving settings and modes and blah blah...I grew up around muscle cars (my father restores and collects) and power is power...V is the closest thing to the old school cars I grew up with.

New M5 has too many settings and intricate details about it which hampers it's fu nand excitment...I like to drive my cars, not let them drive me...that's why i got a V

If power is your thing then 500 v. 400 is something to look at but if you like to mod and upgrade the V is the way to go...strap a maggie on and kaboom! and in any event the bmw isnt even 500 to the wheel so who knows...the V might be able to take a new M...

Luxury is no contest with the new M, it is amazing quality so nothing much there...the V is often times very "plasticy" but whatever...

It comes down to a 4 door corvette and the legendary M...I'll keep my V anyday...put it in gear and "break through"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
Jay VDC said:
I respect your decission however I vote V all the way, I almost took into the new M5 however no Manual tranny turned me off. With a car of true power I personally don't want a technical puzzle with different driving settings and modes and blah blah...I grew up around muscle cars (my father restores and collects) and power is power...V is the closest thing to the old school cars I grew up with.

New M5 has too many settings and intricate details about it which hampers it's fu nand excitment...I like to drive my cars, not let them drive me...that's why i got a V

If power is your thing then 500 v. 400 is something to look at but if you like to mod and upgrade the V is the way to go...strap a maggie on and kaboom! and in any event the bmw isnt even 500 to the wheel so who knows...the V might be able to take a new M...

Luxury is no contest with the new M, it is amazing quality so nothing much there...the V is often times very "plasticy" but whatever...

It comes down to a 4 door corvette and the legendary M...I'll keep my V anyday...put it in gear and "break through"
One of the reasons I went with the M5 was the SMGIII. Personally I like it over a 6sp manual. Supposedly the M5 will be available with the 6sp manual in March 2006.

The performance of the new M5 is something else. It is unbelievably quick from all the videos and reports I have seen. A V with a Maggie will be faster in a straight line but nowhere close to the M on a track. There are even rumors floating around right now that the new M is capable of 600 at the crank with software changes...we shall see :sneaky:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
BowenCT said:
I live in Siberia. I commute 50 miles a day (round trip) on ice and snow covered roads, sometimes in depths of 3ft+. I am considering trading my Sno Cat for a mint used '04 V. I have heard that the F1s aren't that great in the snow. Any members care to elaborate? Thanks!
Keep your Sno Cat. The V is unmanageable in snow and ice even with so called winter tires. Don't let anyone tell yoou any different!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
MacOSR said:
I am going from the CTS-V to a 2006 BMW M5 so here is my perspective on this...
I would take the CTS-V over the current M3 and an older M5 if you are looking for extreme power in a nice package. If power is not your ultimate goal and value elegance more then power then I would go M3 or M5.
If you want extreme power in an elegant package I would go 2006 M5 :)
I agree! Once GM is done engineering the V it will be a fine car but it ain't there yet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
Well, it isn't really fair to compare a V with the new M5, you are talking double the price. More fair to compare to a 2-3 year old M5 with 30-45K miles on it vs. a new V. Personally, I'd pick the V. Actually I did, after selling my '00 M5 and going to a Z06 for 1 year and then realizing I really did need a sedan after-all. The V is the closest thing to a Z06 with 4-doors you can find. And no kidding how quick you can break major speed laws - there is a nice twisty section on a side road to 101 in Santa Clara that I have enjoyed taking in various cars (Camaro, Vettes, M3, M5, Q45t, SHO, etc.) and took it today in the V. Holy smokes - the car is very close to the Z06 it is just amazing. In the blink of an eye down the straight after the twisty R-L combination I was doing 60mph in a 35. Woops, haul it on down there bubba. Can't tell you how may times I hit 90 merging onto the freeway enjoying the 3rd gear pull in the Z06, but haven't done it as much in the V. But it can get there damn near as fast....

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
c4racer said:
Well, it isn't really fair to compare a V with the new M5, you are talking double the price. More fair to compare to a 2-3 year old M5 with 30-45K miles on it vs. a new V. Personally, I'd pick the V. Actually I did, after selling my '00 M5 and going to a Z06 for 1 year and then realizing I really did need a sedan after-all. The V is the closest thing to a Z06 with 4-doors you can find. And no kidding how quick you can break major speed laws - there is a nice twisty section on a side road to 101 in Santa Clara that I have enjoyed taking in various cars (Camaro, Vettes, M3, M5, Q45t, SHO, etc.) and took it today in the V. Holy smokes - the car is very close to the Z06 it is just amazing. In the blink of an eye down the straight after the twisty R-L combination I was doing 60mph in a 35. Woops, haul it on down there bubba. Can't tell you how may times I hit 90 merging onto the freeway enjoying the 3rd gear pull in the Z06, but haven't done it as much in the V. But it can get there damn near as fast....

Scott
The V certainly is fast :sneaky:

Got the call from my dealer today that my M5 is in. I am in Vegas right now so I can't go pick it up :rant2:

...... at least a model of my M5 that he got me is in :thumbsup:

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Have a Catera, and their maintenance can be worse than the M's. Most Catera's have been plagued with a waide swath of problems sicne GM tried to retool the Opel plant in Germany. Also, I've driven the M's before, and recetnly test drove the V and the new Vette at the GM autoshow...I'd take the Vette hands down over the V...and I'd take the M for it's comfort and handling over the V. The V did have plenty of torque and gusto though.
 

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
Joined
·
6,440 Posts
Craptera Owner said:
Have a Catera, and their maintenance can be worse than the M's. Most Catera's have been plagued with a waide swath of problems sicne GM tried to retool the Opel plant in Germany. Also, I've driven the M's before, and recetnly test drove the V and the new Vette at the GM autoshow...I'd take the Vette hands down over the V...and I'd take the M for it's comfort and handling over the V. The V did have plenty of torque and gusto though.
Where the...what the!? What just happened there? Who, what? :bonkers: :hmm:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
JHenryAIA said:
Thanks all and Grey Fox: latest analysis hit the nail squarely: I have been pricing 2002 M5s and they are $46K. Don't know I can justify that, and they have 40-50K miles on them. The M3 is not comparable in my mind. Very nice, but smaller, etc.
If dealers can fix the wheel hop and diff under warranty, then the CTS seems the best bet for the money.
I have not bought an American muscle car -- ever. This would be the first.
I really like the stealth aspect of the Caddy: the styling is truly unique. It seems a bit tall for its track or width, so I imagine it leans a bit more.
I like the angles.
I almost got into a vette but didn't want to worry about scraping the front end constantly and the generally stiff ride. It really is a racer and I just got a $350 ticket, 4 points, for going 80 in a 50 zone on the interstate, and that is not speed, just stupidity. I am thinking how stupid I might get in a Z06. Well, you can get stupid in Ms and Vs too!
Now I am looking for a silver metallic used model that hasn't been beaten up.
Can't have black in Florida!
Thanks everybody.


Log on to: www.m5board.com and ask those guys for their views. Hear from the M5 owners what they think. good luck.
 

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
Joined
·
12,266 Posts
I just took a craptera on crapteras post. That was a complete blindside....yikes!

F
 

·
Registered
1999 Black and Tan STS
Joined
·
753 Posts
CVP33 said:
Where the...what the!? What just happened there? Who, what? :bonkers: :hmm:
Holy Sh&t! You kill me. I just about spit my coffee all over the screen laughing...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,874 Posts
CVP33 said:
Where the...what the!? What just happened there? Who, what? :bonkers: :hmm:
I have had my V since Jan 2004. I have passed or seen 3 V's on the road. I have seen probably 20-30M5's and countless M-3s Its nice having some affordable exclusivity.!!
 

·
Registered
CTS-V
Joined
·
1,192 Posts
MacOSR said:
... but nowhere close to the M on a track. There are even rumors floating around right now that the new M is capable of 600 at the crank with software changes...we shall see :sneaky:
How are you so sure that the new M5 handles better than the CTS-V?
 
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Top