Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'92 Brougham d'Elegance 305; '98 Seville STS
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There's a nice white '92 Cadillac Coupe DeVille for sale with 105,000 miles on the odometer in my area. It has the carriage roof (white), gold ornamentation, white leather interior and red carpet & dash.

Seller states no oil/trans leaks and the only problem is that the digital dash "flickers" occasionally. (Also said there is a minor tear in the driver's side armrest.) I researched the forum, and it seems like a similar problem took $600 to resolve. They are asking $1,500. Does that seem like a good buy?

Thanks in advance to my fellow forum members for any input suggestions on whether this is a good deal or if I should run away from it.

·
Registered
1977 Coupe Deville, '95 Fleetwood Brougham, 1991 Cadillac Brougham 5.7
186 Posts
I have a standard dash on mine so don't know much about the digital. But the armrest in my 91 was all chewed up and I replaced mine w/ one from Dashtops.com real easy fix.
Before:

After

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
If you ever find a Coupe that doesn't have a torn armrest it has either been fixed or never driven. The dash flicker could be simple or drive you insane - it may be just a bad ground but finding it could be an avocation unto itself. Run diagnostics and pull codes. $1500 seems on the stiff side of a fair price if everything else is cherry - I might try to work him some. I love my STS but I miss my Coupe.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
Depends a lot on the care it's had.

Ask the seller how often the coolant was changed, and if sealer pellets were used. Find out if it's ever had head or intake gaskets. Check the coolant for oily slicks, and the dipstick for any milky appearance. Both are $$$ repairs.

Check the OBD trouble codes (see the sticky in the 4.x engine section for instructions). Be especially wary of E39, the VCC engagement code. It's often the first sign of a failing trans.

Start the engine and listen for the #1 main bearing thump. It's not a deal breaker, because many 4.9s thump on forever, but it bothers some people.

Make sure the A/C works, and if it doesn't, ask if it's been converted to R134. It could just need a recharge or it could need a $900 overhaul.

If all that checks out, the price is right. The 4.9 is a great engine and will run well into the 250k range with good maintenance.

Not sure what to make of the flickering dash. Is it flickering bright to dim, or on to off?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone and noahsdad for the specific technical info and your insights on this car. I printed out the sticky on pulling codes for the 4.9 engine and hope to take a gander at it today. Will keep you posted...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not the '92 DeVille I'm looking at, but it is the same year Coupe DeVille with the same color scheme and white carriage roof.

·
Registered
Cadillac
36 Posts
If it can be done without a lot of expense, have a compression test done on the engine. The price seems about right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts