Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to sell my 04 CTS-V and my 05 Ford F150 4x4 to buy a 07 VW Touareg V10 TDI. I know it won't be the same as the V, but it will serve me better in the long run and the V10 diesel with 554 lbs of torque will help ease the pain a little.

I have decided to try to sell the car myself. What would be a realistic asking price for a 04 CTS-V with no modifications, new Goodyear run flats and only 23K miles? It is super clean and came with a Cadillac Certified 7 year/100K mile warranty. Is this warranty transferable to the next owner? I plan on taking it to Carmax tomorrow just to see what they would offer. My plan is to advertise on Autotrader and Craigslist. I have heard to many horror stories about using Ebay. Do any of ya’ll have recommendations?

I know I have only posted a few times, but I have always enjoyed coming to this site daily. I really enjoyed the Maggie stories and the 427s. My plan after getting the Touareg is finding an old hot rod to drag into the garage and making it my dream car.

Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
12 CTS Coupe Premium/Touring, 16 Volt, 13 911s, 07 Legacy GT Wagon
1,802 Posts
I think you will do well on AutoTrader.
Most of the cars on there are dealer cars, so you should have an easier time competing against their prices as a private party seller.

I personally would rather purchase private party from a meticulous owner than from a stealer anyday.

Please let me know what CarMax quotes you, as I am interested in tracking current values.

·
Auto Enthusiast
1992 Eldorado Touring
3,688 Posts
I have sold over 300 cars on eBay.. had maybe 7 auctions go badly. It is not as bad as people say if you block certain bidders. I block bidders that have negative feedback and bidders who are not registered in the USA.

Just sold my Roadmaster last week, here is a link to the auction to give you an idea how I set them up. I use photobucket to host my pictures and link them using the html code in eBays auction setup.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190120553371

You need at least 40-60 good pictures with a nice background. Start the auction at $1.00 No Reserve.

If you have any eBay questions, send me a PM.

If I was ready, I would buy that CTS-V from you. I have been saving up, would like to pay cash for one instead of financing.

Regards,
Elias

·
Registered
2005 Black CTS-V
500 Posts
V10 diesel with 554 lbs of torque will help ease the pain a little.

Good lord... Going to pull the house with that thing?? :D

Good luck with the sale! Autotrader was the main source I used for my hunt.
Cars.com is good too but I actually like autotrader's layout much better.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Jerry,
The car should bring 26 at auction and that should be close to what Carmax shoots you. I would put it on autotrader for 29999 and you should get pretty close. The warranty is trasferable and will really help you sell it. The low mileage also helps. I bought and sold my old V on autotrader. I also bought by my V there. Good luck.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Went to Carmax this afternoon and they only offered $24K. They said they don't care about the 6/100K mile warranty due to the fact they would have it cancelled and would sell the new buyer their extended warranty.

While I was there they pulled up CTS-Vs that they have and for my year model they were asking $32K and had more miles.

Getting ready to see what I have to do to get it on autotrader.com and will also check out cars.com
Thanks,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Went to Carmax this afternoon and they only offered $24K. They said they don't care about the 6/100K mile warranty due to the fact they would have it cancelled and would sell the new buyer their extended warranty.

While I was there they pulled up CTS-Vs that they have and for my year model they were asking $32K and had more miles.

Getting ready to see what I have to do to get it on autotrader.com and will also check out cars.com
Thanks,
Jerry
I hear extended warranties only transfer with private party sales. :confused:
Anyone heard this to be true?
I'm sure dealers want them cancled, when they turn a car, so they can generate comissions on a new warranty.

I wonder how good a CarMax extended warranty is?
Would it cover repairs somewhere besides the dealer, like a tuner shop?

Too bad you can't sell your 6/100K warranty to another V owner - LOL.

24K is dirt low, those bastards. :want:

I agree that with your 6/100K warranty a private party seller should be willing to give you 27K (at the very least).
You should call to confirm warranty can be transfered.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Called GM and they said warranty stays with the car.
Cool, Great Selling point.

On the other hand, if you cancel the warranty, how much do you get back on a prorate?
Maybe it is enough to close the gap with CarMax and get you back up above the mid twenties for a quick turnaround.

I hate that this thread could be relevant to me in the very near future. :crybaby:

·
Registered
Z06,TBSS, looking for Cts-V
34 Posts
What is the location, location, location? I wouldn't be opposed to paying 27k by the sounds of it. I'm either looking for a stock car to throw a maggie on, or buy one already done.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the past hour I've been trying to place ad on Autotrader. Giving up, will try again maybe tomorrow. I think my pictures turned out nice, I will hate to see it go.

My intent was not to turn this topic into an ad, just seeking advice since I have never sold a car, I have always traded at the dealership but sick and tired of being taken to the cleaners.

I was at a dealership in VA last week and would have traded but when they started saying they can't give me much for trade “because people don't won't V8s anymore.” I told them to give me my keys.

After I figure out Autotrader, then I might try to place an ad on this site but don't know if I have enough posts. Once again, thanks for all of the feedback!! I would use one of those smiley faces but don't know how...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
If you become a supporting member you should be able to post ads in the forum classifieds.
If not, I would be surprised.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts