Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Deville Base, 1999 Deville D'Elegance
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm trying to determine if I have a bad engine mount. I hear, and feel, a really bad vibration under the car (seems to be coming from under the firewall) under heavy acceleration in 1st gear going up a hill at about 10mph and also sometimes under full throttle in second gear on a straight away. I've done the "power brake" test to see if the engine moves and the front of it does shift up at least a couple of inches, perhaps even 3 inches during the test. Does anyone know how much movement I should be seeing during this test? I'm guessing a bad mount but could also be a bad converter I suppose. The car only has 36k original miles on it!

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
2011 CTS4 Premium, Saturn Vue XR
493 Posts
Engine should normally shift back and forth under 1" I think 3/4" is normal. 3" is alot I would inspect the front mount first.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,023 Posts
A 3" (or even 2") engine rotation is unacceptable. Either get the car up on a lift, pull the splash shield and inspect the motor mount as best you can, or just plain replace it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, looks like I need a new front mount. Is there a "how to" available anywhere?

Thanks!

Andrew

·
Administrator
71,023 Posts
There's a "sticky" thread down in Cadillac Technical Discussion, Technical Tips.

·
Administrator
71,023 Posts
...........between the Stickys and the Tech Tips I'm all gooey :rolleyes:.

Just got back from a 2 hour Road Run and WOT exercise. Nice day. Empty back roads.........Passed a deer at 120 and damn near had a heart attack. (NEVER drive fast down a tree-lined road.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I found the thread, exactly what I needed.

Gotta watch out for those deer . . . glad nothing happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts