Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone I have looked around for a good and complete thourough write up on cleaning the throttle body and egr valve but cant seem to find one.

Can someone please get me going inthe right direction.:D

Thanks

·
Registered
1995 FWB 128,*** miles
2,216 Posts
TB may be cleaned with an oxygen sensor safe carb. cleaner and a toothbrush. Pay attention to the backsides of the plates. Plugged EGR tubes under the plates may be cleaned with a stiff wire. Do not care of carbon falling down.

Cleaning the EGR valve is a waste of time if you ask me. Get a new ACDelco from gmpartsdirect.com for $45 plus S&H. Get a new gasket too. You willl need to remove the throttle body to get acces to the EGR valve unless you make a custom wrench.

·
Registered
2005 V8 AWD SRX
76 Posts
Important to disconect negative battery cable for a minute after this procedure to allow for idle re-learn. Very important if egr tubes were clogged to the point of driveablility issues.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Have any of you tried simply removing the EGR from the car. I removed it, cut and drilled a flat piece of plate, cut out a nice foil gasket for it and said good riddens to the EGR.

As for cleaning the TB, yep a good O2 sensor safe cleaner is your best bet. I chose to give it a good scrub, then run it and spray it down the throttle while it is running. That way the cleaner hits the intake valve while still in vapor form.

Seemed to help my 4.9 considerably.

I could not believe the amount of black soot that came out when I took it out the street and tromped it a few times.

Oh and if you have never changed the O2 or can't remember the last time you changed your O2 sensor. It might not be a bad idea to pick up a new Delco unit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts