Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Fairly new to board, recently bought 76 Eldo 500 FI. On my heater/AC, compressor kicks on but no fan on med or high, just low. Also, no bilevel vent output but at defrost it comes out where needed with high fan speed.

I'm not much at a/c. Mechanic says I need an a/c controller behind the dash controls and an a/c programmer behind the glove box. Of course, not available from GM (gee, they don't keep parts for 30 years?)

Ideas on where to find? Not familiar with possible paaarts outlets on these, advise needed. Anyone with a 'parts' car that can be scavenged for these?

Also, throttle body air valve is bad. Checked temp and air sensors, they seem ok. Would a non-working throttle body air valve cause rough idle until warmed up or does it just control idle speed?

Thanks much.

Steve

6 GM cars, heck even my bike has a GM 350 ZZ4 crate motor

·
Registered
520 Posts
Steve Barr said:
Hi All,

Fairly new to board, recently bought 76 Eldo 500 FI. On my heater/AC, compressor kicks on but no fan on med or high, just low. Also, no bilevel vent output but at defrost it comes out where needed with high fan speed.

I'm not much at a/c. Mechanic says I need an a/c controller behind the dash controls and an a/c programmer behind the glove box. Of course, not available from GM (gee, they don't keep parts for 30 years?)

Ideas on where to find? Not familiar with possible paaarts outlets on these, advise needed. Anyone with a 'parts' car that can be scavenged for these?

Also, throttle body air valve is bad. Checked temp and air sensors, they seem ok. Would a non-working throttle body air valve cause rough idle until warmed up or does it just control idle speed?

Thanks much.

Steve

6 GM cars, heck even my bike has a GM 350 ZZ4 crate motor
Steve, try car-part.com if you haven't already. It's a junkyard parts locator service. It's free, and nationwide. It will list phone numbers, prices and such. Good luck, nice car. Ok, cars.
Bob

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
What?! GM doesn't keep parts for 30 years?! Uh-oh... ;) Anyway, it sounds very similar to a problem I had on my car. It turned out to be the Low-Auto switch. Nothing complicated, all it does is go to open when the lever is placed in Auto-Low or Vent. You can look for this switch (on mine, it was the very crispy one on the bottom rear of the control head) and unplug and jump the connector that goes to this switch. You do lose the ability to manually select the low fan speed when running the Automatic climate control, and Vent picks a fanspeed related to the temperature. I like Vent better this way, and I don't really miss Auto-Low that much. If for wahtever reason the design changed drastically over the years, someone over in the Seville/Eldorado forums might be able to help you out. I'll move this thread there for you.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts