Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has prob. been hit on before, however what is an average price for the CTS 03-06 navigation system/stereo that can be bought and installed into an 03 CTS.

Also what are the best places to look and find navigations systems for sale? Do i need to go directly through cadillac or are they going to charge me an arm and a leg?

Anyone who has installed navigation, is it worth it?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
wilx75 said:
I know this topic has prob. been hit on before, however what is an average price for the CTS 03-06 navigation system/stereo that can be bought and installed into an 03 CTS.

Also what are the best places to look and find navigations systems for sale? Do i need to go directly through cadillac or are they going to charge me an arm and a leg?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark
Welcome to the forums. :welcome: Please take a moment to say goodbye to your family, friends, and possibly job because youre never going to see them again; we're your only friends now. That being said, this topic gets a new thread dedicated about twice a week. Click "search" on the toolbar above, then type "navigation", you'll get about 500 results, most of which have some application to this topic. I'm sure you can narrow your search from there.

:horse:

I think we need an icon like this, only with a noob getting beat instead of that poor horse.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Yes this is a very frequently discussed subject, so it's posted on the FAQ. The quick answer is: ~$3500 from the dealer, although they won't install it and will tell you it can't be done, ~$2500 from GMPartsDirect, or ~$1000 on EBay, although they are few and the bidding gets horrendous. You'll also need to get the GPS antenna, and a Navigation map disk. Get the disk made for Infinity's from www.zenrin.com. They're currenly more up to date, work perfectly (data is identical), and much cheaper than the Cadillac labelled disk.

Once you find a Nav, go here for the install instructions:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/navconvert/index.html
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/navpart2/index.html

Welcome to the forums

·
Registered
466 Posts
:bouncy: Three word answer, yup, yup & yup. Many on this forum have made the switch. Only a few have been pioneers, most have been followers (yes, I'm a follower). Several members have figured the "how to" and have provided detailed instructions on www.cadillacfaq.com . You'll also find out who the pioneers are. Total cost around $1500, some more, some less. I'm a big high tech electronics fan. You can't buy a good portable GPS for less than $700. To get a factory system for around 1/2 the factory cost, it's a no brainer. The GPS is wonderful, the radio display is wonderful, everything about it is wonderful. Get the message? Half the fun is doing it yourself. If you can read and have "basic" mechanical ability, you can make the switch. Check out the info provided on www.cadillacfaq.com . eBay is your best bet for a DVD Nav, take your time, figure out what you're willing to pay. Remember, newer is better, older is not necessarily cheaper. Good luck!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
292 Posts
If you have an early '03 like mine, Youre going to have a hard time finding the pewter colored cd nav that matches your dash. Ive been watching ebay for over 2 weeks now. All the newer dvd navs are black. :(

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
shaft said:
If you have an early '03 like mine, Youre going to have a hard time finding the pewter colored cd nav that matches your dash. Ive been watching ebay for over 2 weeks now. All the newer dvd navs are black. :(
Check with this salvage yard to see if they have what you are looking for:

2003 Radio Cadillac CTS NAV,6 DISC,AM-FM,4-05 30016W $1000
G and R Auto Parts USA-OK 1-800-678-3377

·
Registered
21 Posts
You tell us to get the DVD for Infinity.... but which one. There are 7 different DVD's for 7 different models...

WR

·
Registered
466 Posts
:hmm: You're right, it just got more complicated. Last week I saw versions 6.3 & 6.4. Now they show a version 7.0 & 7.1. Zenrin's tech support is little help. It's like "pulling teeth" to get information out of them. I dealt with them on three occasions and I wasn't impressed. They won't confirm their software works with the CTS. Their response when I inquired was "order it, see if it's works. Maybe that's their way of saying it's OK. We know the Infinity DVD version 6.3 works. Some reports of problems with version 6.4, but I can't confirm. Call them and see what information you can get.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
tomm said:
Ahh, That page is only for the new 2006 M35/M45's so I would doubt that they would work in our CTS system which has been the same from 2003-2006.
:yup: I was so surprised to see a new Version 7.0 & 7.1 that I failed to read the fine print. Does anyone here have ANY experience with DVD NAV version 6.4?

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
-1- said:
...It's like "pulling teeth" to get information out of them...
Hey now! :tisk: Actually "pulling teeth" is quite easy. You just take a big set of pliers and start twisting...

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
-1- said:
:yup: I was so surprised to see a new Version 7.0 & 7.1 that I failed to read the fine print. Does anyone here have ANY experience with DVD NAV version 6.4?
I was planning on purchasing the V6.4 last week until I read some threads in the V forum from a few members that purchased it and they were not able to use it outside of their home state. One of the V members is going to mail me his 6.4 that is not working correctly in his NAV to test it on mine. If it works on mine I am going to pay him for it and keep it.

There are a few different NAV versions now with the new XM Traffic and such so apparently they may need different disks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
tomm i'm trying to get ahold of you. I need to get the pins to hook up my high beams after i installed HIDs. I've tried to PM you, but it don't seem to want and let do it, so could you email me at [email protected] thanks

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
-1 said:
You can't buy a good portable GPS for less than $700.
I looked at trying to retrofit my DTS with a factory nav system. Because it's an '01 with a crappy system to begin with it didn't seem worth it even with junkyard parts. Instead I ordered up a Garmin c320 ($425 from Amazon) and a 1GB SD card ($50) for it. Using 2/3s of the 1GB card I have the east coast and Texas (I travel to Dallas on business fairly frequently) loaded. You can add/delete maps from your PC. It's portable (I can put it in any car in about as long as it takes to stick a radar detector to the windshield) and it works awesome. Touch screen is smaller than most in-dash units but you can mount it where you want it and aim it for a perfect view like a rear view mirror. I just started using it yesterday and I totally love it. It has millions more POIs than some factory nav systems, too.

Obviously an in-dash unit is a cleaner arrangement but I really like this thing and the fact that it's portable is icing on the cake.

Jim

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
tuckerlw said:
tomm i'm trying to get ahold of you. I need to get the pins to hook up my high beams after i installed HIDs. I've tried to PM you, but it don't seem to want and let do it, so could you email me at [email protected] thanks[/QUOTE

Tucker,
FYI you have to have 50 posts before you get PM priviledges. If you're active it won't take long.

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
I just checked your work on the DTS on your site. Very impressive!
How much did you get that flooded DTS for then? It sure looks worth the work you done on it!

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
70eldo said:
I just checked your work on the DTS on your site. Very impressive!
How much did you get that flooded DTS for then? It sure looks worth the work you done on it!
I picked it up for $7,600 as is. If you exclude the costs of things that 'normally' fail at 50k miles, I think I have about $11.5k into it (plus my own labor). I really don't remember the total at this point. I have a sub-$10k number in my head, but I'm pretty sure it is around $11-12k. At the time, almost a year ago, it was worth a bit more. They do depreciate fast.

Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts