Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Navigation system from a wrecked '04 Buick Rendezvous. When I put it into my vehicle and turn it to on, I get theftlock activated. How would I go about getting this unit programmed to my vehicle?

Second, what components are needed in order for the navigation to operate? All I have right now is the antenna.

It's a shame GM has to make things so complicated.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS, 2005 Cadillac STS4 1SG
2,043 Posts
i belive the ones from the buicks, yukons, and chevys are differnt lookin than the ones in cadillacs. But ures worked?? its working with ure bose system and everything? the sound system works fine? cuz i really want to swap mine and i want it to work. For ure nav to work i belive u need some GPS box thing that goes in the trunk. DOes the navigation DVD go slide into the headunit or what? Many people have been posting about the nav systems....dosnt anyone in here work at a cadillac dealer or anything that can maybe give us some info? This site is very helpful but no one seems to kno much about the nav systems. oh yah i think there is a special code u need to enter (a code that came with that speicifc buick) so that ure headunit will work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, I should have mentioned that I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am GT1. My car doesn't even have the nav option. The reason I came here is because this is the escalade has this unit. The DVD works fine. It actually loads up and everything. I get theftlock once the key is turned to on. At that point, the unit is permanantely locked out. The only way for me to use the unit is to unplug it and plug it back in. I can only turn it to ACC to get it to work.

I have some pics to show:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Appearantly, whenever the key is turned to ON, the PCM or BCM sends data to the nav to tell the nav what vehicle it is. Because after I see theftlock and I turn it off then back on, I get a "Pontiac" startup screen.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i see by one of ure pictures that ure navigation is actually working? Btw, is ure screen a tocuh screen or is there a little toggle button for options u want to select? I think ure best bet would be to go to the dealer and they can probably help you figure it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a toggle switch. It is not a touchscreen. It has arrows that you can rock to the left, right, up, down, and push in. I can get to all the nav features and I can input a destination. However, the unit would be unable to track my car because the antenna is not connected. I like the unit. It has alot of nice features. It is better than my stepmom's 2003 Lincoln Navigator's CD based Navigation system. It's unfortunate gm doesn't offer it for owners to buy. I am having a difficult time trying to find the harness so the antenna can hook up. Chrysler offer's their nav unit for customers to buy. They also sell the harness and antenna. GM is another story. :disappoin

Oh, and the map has a aerial view, 3D view, or aerial/3D split screen view.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
if you need the antenna maybe u can just go to the dealership and just buy one from the parts department...if thats all you need.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got the unit working. Went to the dealership and had them unlock and program it for my car using the tech 2 tool.

I have the gps antenna but the connector is not the same as the one on the unit. Appearantly, a harness was used and the antenna was connected to this harness. I'm not sure, but i'm having a tough time locating the part needed.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
was teh swap fairly easy? did it just plug right into ure regular connectors for ure car and sound system? I have the older cd rom nav in my cadillac and i want the newer DVD nav...u think it will swap out just fine? i asked the caddy dealer they said it wouldnt work...but seriouly what do they kno? they dont recommend doin anything that didnt come from the factory :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The unit went into place and fit exactly like the headunit that came with my car. It plugged right in as well. No problems. My car uses the class-2 databus system and that's what this nav unit uses to work.

The unit is double din size. I've got some other pictures that I will post in a sec. I bought this from another guy. The pictures I will post was taken by him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After you find the correct gps antenna for this unit (same as for the TrailBlazer, Escalade, Yukon, Envoy) make sure that your car's vehicle speed sensor (VSS) wire is connected to pin E of the 12-pin connector on the back of the nav unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It is. At least I believe it is. It has to be because the speed compensated volume works when my speed increases and decreases.

I have the gps antenna. Last friday, I ordered the gps wire that hooks up to the gps antenna. It should be here sometime this week.

Last week, I ghetto rigged the gps antenna to the nav unit using a connector and I watched the map change it's default location from Washington D.C. to the location I was at. So I know it works.

I've got some more pics that shows the radio in operation:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cool, it sounds like you have everything under control. Glad you were able to rig the antenna to the unit. The gps antennae(sp?) that I've used have always been a direct connection to the nav unit but as long as yours is updating from the default location in DC you shouldn't worry about it. BTW, they're switching the default location from The Whitehouse to GM Headquarters at the RenCen in Detroit for the '05 model year. Watch for other exciting changes as well ;-)

Let me know if you need any help with the nav system in the future.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
is the nav screen in your pontiac a touch screen or is it onyl controlled by a knob? how would u change a radio station preset if its not a touchscreen? do u have to scroll trhough all of them?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix. How hard would it be to install the navigation radio in my car? Is it even possible? The DIN size looks too small but i'm no expert at this sort of stuff.

Thanks for your help

DJ

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I doubt this would be a direct swap with the Post 96' Cadillacs. I am looking for the navigation system from a 2k2 and up Cadillac for this reason. Most GM Vehicles have a fairly straightforward dash layout and thus the truck unit might fit. Post 96 'lacs however have this waterfall dash layout with its very very odd dimensions. Because of this, I doubt it would directly swap into the opening at all. Additionally, the 2002 and up Cadillac unit is a bit more integrated and user friendly due to its new Touchscreen mode.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whats up all,

Just curious does anyone have problems with installing this unit and getting a low setting of sound. for some reason i got a problem installing a nav unit into a 2003 taaoe and it sounds like its on mute. "i have a bose system" also. Any help will be much appreciated. send a email to [email protected] or reply here.

Thank you :xevileye:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts