Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about buying a new CTS. I'd like to know if the Navigation System is worth it. I can get the Premium package for about $10,000.00 or buy the same options separately and eliminate the Navigation System and save $1000.00. So, is the Navigation System worth $1000.00? Or, am I missing something? Is there something else that I'd be getting with the Premium Package for that $1000.00 extra?

·
Registered
2010 CTS-4 3.6 & 2008 SRX-4 V6
950 Posts
I have the NAV.

IMO, NAV is worth it for the following reasons:

• The pop-up feature is the killer app in the interior of this car - if you're "gadget positive", there's simply nothing better than this feature.
  • It's integrated with OnStar - get your directions downloaded to your Nav and you're never lost.
  • It's integrated with your iPod - scroll through your iPod via the centre console wheel and/or your steering wheel controls
  • It comes with the integrated 40 GB hard disk - rip your favourite CDs to the hard disk - you'll always have them (with or without your iPod)

I don't even question the money I spent on this option as it was well worth it.

Again, IMO.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,811 Posts
I wasnt planning on getting NAV when I bought my CTS. Do I know how to get to town? But I now use it alot and you would be surprised how helpful it can be to locate places and get directions. And as the previous post indicated, if you like high tech gadgets, functions, and features, the CTS NAV is amazing. Well worth every penny. Just be prepared to get NAV map and sofware(NAV/audio/Gracenotes) updated depending on what year CTS you get. I understand 2009s cannot be ordered anymore.

·
Registered
2014 CTS PREMIUM SEDAN 3.6 RWD
1,019 Posts
I agree with the other posts. If you don't get the NAV you will regret it for the rest of your ownership.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
19 Posts
I agree with all you guys. The NAV is well worth the money and specially for a mere $1000 when you are spending so much more to get a CTS. You might think you may not need it now but once you get it you just can't drive your CTS with it. This alone also gives your CTS a high note when you sell it - look at it like an investment, you spent $1000 now and later you get less depreciation. Personally, I just love how it pops up and the clean look of having a factory NAV - no matter how it costs me, I always get the NAV with all my cars. I am sure most of the CTSers will agree with me when I say - Just go for it!

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
Depending on where you live, the XM Traffic integration with the NAV can be a godsend, saving time and hassles. I find myself using the NAV even when I know the route so as not to miss traffic issues enroute, and get detours as necessary. Weather alerts are useful in tornado or thunderstorm conditions as well.

·
Registered
2009 CTS
193 Posts
I agree. I faced the same situation when looking for my CTS. Having used a Garmin in my family van, I was skeptical about factory in car NAV systems. The NAV unit in the CTS is far and above my portable Garmin.

And, truth be told, I don't use it for Navigation all that often. However, the touchscreen interface and full screen display, especially for my heavy Ipod usage, have proven well worth it.

I've had CTS loaners w/o the NAV and it is a totally different experience. I spend about 1.5 hours a day between the morning and afternoon commute, so the interior space was very important for me. I do think you'll regret not having the NAV in what it otherwise going to be a fully loaded car.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Black Raven/Ebony Interior
70 Posts
Get the nav! You won't regret it! I think you'll much prefer the OEM look to a retrofit.

·
Registered
Formerly 09 CTS-V, Red; now 16 CTS-V, Red
304 Posts
Is anyone counting votes here? Get the nav. Handheld units have their own good points, but a built-in 8" screen is tough to beat.

·
Registered
'08 CTS DI (PDR, UAV, Y40, former GM Exec Vehicle)
29 Posts
When I set out to purchase a used ’08 CTS last year, the best advice I received from one long-time Cadillac salesman was; make sure I get one that is Certified (CPO) and one that has the Nav System. You should get every $ back spent on the Nav Sys during the resale. For one grand, that's a no brainer IMO.

·
Registered
2009 CTS 3.6 DI; White Diamond
6 Posts
I have to pretty much echo earlier opinions - get the NAV. It is a sweet addition to the car and much more functional - especially with onstar downloads, etc. I debated, but am really happy with my decision to upgrade to the premium package inclusive of the NAV.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI AWD Thunder Gray Chromaflair/Ebony
798 Posts
I agree with everyone else. If the NAV is only $1,000 over other options you want anyway, it is one of the best out there. If you are deciding what expense to cut over other viable options (such as the performance package), then it really depends on your priorities.

For me a $199 Garmin does the trick and can be used in all my vehicles plus the rental car.

·
Registered
2012 Crystal Red CTS Coupe with Ebony Interior
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your opinion everyone. But, now I am even more confused because the reason I started this thread was because of a thread called "Stupid Nav." which I saw on the STS forum. Most of the people on that thread hated the factory navigation system and referred to the Garmin navigation system claiming it was 20% of the price and much better. Aside from the fact that the CTS screen pops up and the STS screen is in the dash I would think that both factory systems have the same technology and features. I guess I'll have to do more research.

·
Registered
Formerly 09 CTS-V, Red; now 16 CTS-V, Red
304 Posts
Aside from the fact that the CTS screen pops up and the STS screen is in the dash I would think that both factory systems have the same technology and features.
I think that the CTS nav is "advanced," relative to the STS system. It resides on the HDD, rather than a permanently installed DVD, so it should be faster. I trust that folks with more knowledge/experience than I have will enumerate other differences between the two systems.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V Sedan, Vector Blue/Black, 6MT
1,001 Posts
The car magazine reviews have all praised the NAV system in the CTS as one of the best. It's unique to the CTS so far at GM, though hopefully it's use will spread.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 (Fully Loaded)
75 Posts
I would certainly add the Nav feature because as others have stated, it looks great. The large display and pop-up screen are cool and unique. Plus, the added value during the resale makes the addition an worthwhile investment.

With that said, the functionality of GPS is very lacking for the following reasons:

1. Simply imputing a destination can become a troubling ordeal. There are times that you will have to guess whether a particular highway is stored as Route-46, Route 46, RT-46, US Highway 46, US 46, etc. GM may not be at fault for this confusion but the fact remains that it can be a pain when you can’t input the address you are trying to get to.
2. Also, while the size of the display is convenient, the views are fairly limited. Other GPS systems that I have used allow for simultaneous use of dual screens; a zoomed-out display in 3D and a zoomed-in display in 2D. This allows for greater ease when viewing the map and looking for a particular road and/or intersection.
3. Lastly, the actual directions given by the GPS can be atrocious. It constantly sends me out of my way to get to a simple location. I constantly ignore the directions given and hope that the recalculated directions are more accurate. There was one time that I was on a highway and my GPS instructed that I get off at the next (a jug handle). The GPS proceeded to guide me right back onto the same highway I was previously traveling on.

I know some folks will disagree and maybe I’m the only one with the crazy GPS. If so, let me know and I will contact my dealer to see if something can be done about it. Either way, I think you should get the Nav feature for your new car regardless of the headaches that I just listed. It is a very nice looking touch to the car even if you have to keep a Tom-Tom or Garmin with you just in case.

·
Registered
2008 DI FE3
202 Posts
I would certainly add the Nav feature because as others have stated, it looks great. The large display and pop-up screen are cool and unique. Plus, the added value during the resale makes the addition an worthwhile investment.

With that said, the functionality of GPS is very lacking for the following reasons:

1. Simply imputing a destination can become a troubling ordeal. There are times that you will have to guess whether a particular highway is stored as Route-46, Route 46, RT-46, US Highway 46, US 46, etc. GM may not be at fault for this confusion but the fact remains that it can be a pain when you can’t input the address you are trying to get to.
2. Also, while the size of the display is convenient, the views are fairly limited. Other GPS systems that I have used allow for simultaneous use of dual screens; a zoomed-out display in 3D and a zoomed-in display in 2D. This allows for greater ease when viewing the map and looking for a particular road and/or intersection.
3. Lastly, the actual directions given by the GPS can be atrocious. It constantly sends me out of my way to get to a simple location. I constantly ignore the directions given and hope that the recalculated directions are more accurate. There was one time that I was on a highway and my GPS instructed that I get off at the next (a jug handle). The GPS proceeded to guide me right back onto the same highway I was previously traveling on.

I know some folks will disagree and maybe I’m the only one with the crazy GPS. If so, let me know and I will contact my dealer to see if something can be done about it. Either way, I think you should get the Nav feature for your new car regardless of the headaches that I just listed. It is a very nice looking touch to the car even if you have to keep a Tom-Tom or Garmin with you just in case.
I have to disagree. I've had no trouble at all with either inputs or directions and while there are some features on my Garmin I wish were available on the CTS' system, the same can be said in the other direction. Is it perfect? No - but having just used the system in my in-laws new Ridgeline, I can tell you it is far superior to Honda's system.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts