Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone J I am happy 2 join this forum and happy 2 get my new STS V6 carJ.

I am from Saudi Arabia and I bought the car after comparing it 2 Lexus GS and I choose STS because it is BETTER than the GS, although cadillac here in Saudi Arabia has a bad reputation in terms of maintenance and parts availability.

cadillacis not the popular car 2 buy here because of the old model problems.

I like the car a lot, in everything but I have a problem with my Navigation system.
The GPS is not working! and the agency doesn't know why!!! So I am waiting for there answer about this matter.

What it makes it more ironic, my cousin bought another STS V8 before me and he experience the same problem I have, and the agency sent his GPS unit 2 GM head quarter in DUBAI and now I am waiting for GM 2 solve my cousin problem in order 2 solve my problem!!!!

I am waiting for the answer now for 3 weeks and no replay I get so far L
I have my radio, TV and the navigation DVD working fine but the GPS is not working at all.

I just want 2 note that I put transparent window coatings film on the glass (from inside) i.e. the antenna on the rear glass is not covered.

When I investigated this issue with the agency they said window coatings film has no effect on the GPS system, I only think of that because my cousin also covered his windows car with the same material.

I just want 2 know if any one experience any problems in GPS and what do u think about my problem?

Husain

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
I personally haven't heard of anything as yet but here are a couple of thoughts:

The window film should have no effect as the GPS antenna is roof mounted and not in the window. You should however have used a "non-metallic" film regardless to avoid reception issues with the radio and any cell phones.

Having visited the kingdom and knowing there are many with GPS enabled vehicles this may be doubtfull but I wonder if the system is suffering from "selected availability" issues. I am not current on whether or not the US Gov. has issued a SA ruling for the area and limited the use of the civilian signal in the region. Of course if you know anyone that has an active GPSr (handheld or otherwise) that is receiving accurate data then this is a moot point.

Certainly interesting and let us know what you find out. I am assuming that you are getting the "crossed-out" GPS icon on the left of your NAV screen which is indicating the lack of signal.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Certainly interesting and let us know what you find out. I am assuming that you are getting the "crossed-out" GPS icon on the left of your NAV screen which is indicating the lack of signal."

oh yes this what i get you are right and it is really make me feel bad.
any how the car comes with a DVD navigation system of euorpe and then GM agent gave me a DVD navigation system for the Guelf rigion and saudi.

well i am still waitng and i dont know when i will get my GPS fixed but i just want 2 know if there is any chance i have a problem with my system.

any how thankx Cajonkev for your replay and for sure i will tell u what will happen with me :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok Mr. Cajonkev :)

i got a replay today from the agency about my GPS system that is defected and need 2 be changed.

and that's include all my system from DVD 2 CD player etc,

so now I have 2 wait :( for 20 days for shipment of my old system(cuz they might repair it) without music and DVD and etc :(

it is kind of frustrating :( but I am trying with them 2 ship a new GPS system in order not 2 wait without all that entertainment system cuz I think I will not be in the mood 2 drive the car :(

would you like 2 drive the car without navigation and entertainment unit???

·
Registered
06 STS-1SG-ACC/HUD-Volant CAI-Corsa Exh-Mesh Grill-ClearBra
516 Posts
husme2000 said:
ok Mr. Cajonkev :)

would you like 2 drive the car without navigation and entertainment unit???
Interesting that they want your old system first instead of doing the traditional (Remove & Replace). Over here they would just order the replacement unit and bring the vehicle in once it arrives. The challenges of being overseas I guess. Does this mean they are going to let you drive it with a hole in the dash?!?

Personally, I'm on my third Nav/Radio unit so I empathize with you pal...;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts