Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac cts 07
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i bought the navigation unit from tomm here at the forums and i got it today.....so to make the story short.

i called my cadillac advisor and told him about my mod and the first thing he said i dont think thats posible and we dont do that here at the dealer or unlock it.

so he gave me this guys number that had being working for cadillac for over 20years and he open his own shop so i went to his shop and the suness he sees the navigation unit he said he didnt think it was going to work because my caddy is an o7 and the navigation unit came from a cts-v 2005, and for navigation unit to work it had to be the same year as the car..... so anyways he told me it was $100 bucks but he couldnt guarantee it was going to work so it was my choice if i wanted to give it a try.

well me all excited im like **** it lets try it, why shouldnt it work i asked my self, bcuz i seen everybody here talking about it that is so easy like a plug and play lol.

so he puts it in and the first thing that comes on is THEFT ACTIVATED so suppostely thats no problem bcuz thats why i took it there to have it unlock and he has the GM machine.....so then he trys it and it doesnt work and then he just tells me that is not compatible with my car.....

so now im out an extra $100 bucks:crying:

im so frustrated can someone please tell me what to do....plz send me in the right direction.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6 Auto w/ Sport & Luxury Packages
555 Posts
Most dealerships won't tackle the nav install because their instructions are to remove the entire dash which takes an entire day. I made the mistake of taking my nav to the dealership and at first the service tech signed off on the idea, only to call me back five minutes later to tell me it wasn't possible. A half hour conversation with the head tech ensued, including my printing out the instructions from the Cadillac FAQ on how to perform the swap. In the end, the dealership refused to make the switch but promised to unlock the unit if I managed to get it installed.

As far as I know, the nav unit doesn't have to match the year of the car, as long as the nav unit is from a CTS as opposed to a STS or other model. The CTS and CTS-V use the same unit, if I recall correctly, so you should be fine there.

Seriously, if you cannot get the unit unlocked with a Tech II, then you aren't dealing with an experienced or knowledgeable tech. All that they have to do to unlock the unit is reset the VIN associated with the unit, and that takes less than five minutes when someone knows what they are doing. This is not rocket science in spite of what you are being told, try another dealership because hopefully someone more intelligent will be able to help you.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
This is almost plug and play guys. The whole writeup is in Reed's FAQ. You'd be foolish to pay anyone a penny to do the work. You simply remove your radio. Add one brown wire which Ody often provides and put the NAV in. Take it to the dealer to have the theft lock decoded with the Tech II tool and you're done. Step by step in Reed's FAQ!!!

All the NAV units are the same. I have an '05 unit in my '04. If you're still scared, show the instructions to a technition.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Bring it over. I'll have it in your car in 20 mins. My dealer had mine reset in 15 mins.
Ryan,
Did they charge you to de-lock your radio/NAV?

Tony,
The VSS wire has to be tapped. The dealers and other techs don't know that. If you don't it will not work! Since you have an '07 the wiring may already be in the harness. Here's a shot of my tap.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
This is probably my next mod, but I don't think it's gonna happen for a while. Maybe when the 08's come out the nav units will start to drop in price.

EDIT: I take that back, my next mod after getting my calipers painted. Not much of a mod though, but it still counts.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
Ryan,
The VSS wire has to be tapped. The dealers and other techs don't know that. If you don't it will not work! Since you have an '07 the wiring may already be in the harness.
Late 2005's and up should already have the VSS wiring in the harness but even if it dont it would have nothing to do with the theft activation. This 20 year tech is an idiot. I have see folks even go to chevy dealers and get the theft lock cleared on their cts's since all dealers use the same tech-2 tool.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
Late 2005's and up should already have the VSS wiring in the harness but even if it dont it would have nothing to do with the theft activation. This 20 year tech is an idiot. I have see folks even go to chevy dealers and get the theft lock cleared on their cts's since all dealers use the same tech-2 tool.
I went to my dads chevy dealership

·
Registered
Cadillac cts 07
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

so im thinking of installing it again my self but how do i know if i have the vss wiring or not what should i look for?

and tomm you said the tech 2 instructions are somewhere can you please provide me with the link cuz i cant find anything.

one last question so all i do is take the radio out and plug the same wires to the new radio/navigation and well where do i put the gps antena from the instructions i cant really tell where?

does anybody have some other instructions except for the one from cadillacfaq

better yet if someone has the time to type and you done this your self already.

can you provide me with some easy steps on how to get this done.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
Cadillac cts 07
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so i forgot to tell you guys that when he plug the tech2 to it the problem was it wouldnt give him a vin # so thats why he couldnt delete it or do anything?

any ideas????

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
ok so i forgot to tell you guys that when he plug the tech2 to it the problem was it wouldnt give him a vin # so thats why he couldnt delete it or do anything?

any ideas????
Duh..the vin number is in the windshield, driverside.
You're making this harder than it is. Have you read the instructions yet?

·
Registered
Cadillac cts 07
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok so your not going to believe what just happen to me i call the guy i went to yesterday.....and he tells me that he did call gm already and the nav is compatible with my car but for the nav to work, i have to take it to the dealer and leave the navigation system there bcuz he has to send it to GM to unlock it for $250 bucks and when it comes back is going to work as soon as we plug it in.

is this guy trying to rip me or what or is he correct.

he keeps saying it doesnt work bcuz mine is an 07

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
ok so your not going to believe what just happen to me i call the guy i went to yesterday.....and he tells me that he did call gm already and the nav is compatible with my car but for the nav to work, i have to take it to the dealer and leave the navigation system there bcuz he has to send it to GM to unlock it for $250 bucks and when it comes back is going to work as soon as we plug it in.

is this guy trying to rip me or what or is he correct.

he keeps saying it doesnt work bcuz mine is an 07
Urb is right Tony..you're not listening! It's plug & Play and your dealer can unlock the the radio with his Tech II tool for about $40. The year makes no difference. All the DVD based navs are the same from '04 to '07. It's as simple as that! I've done it Tony. Now get on with it!!

1 - 20 of 189 Posts