Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2007 STS-4 1SG, ACC, HUD, F55/FE3
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up guys. I'm having a little bit of a problem here, you see I bought my STS about 8 months ago and after I bought it I realize the nav disc was missing. About 2 weeks ago I talked GMnavdisc into sending me a free update version 9.0 p/n 22944166. Now before inserting the disc the nav unit says:"please insert a map DVD" and after inserting the map dvd it does nothing but continue to display the same message. Could someone help me with this I'm not sure if I'm just doing something wrong or my nav unit just doesn't work

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,213 Posts
In addition to what's been mentioned, I'm wondering if you have an old navigation radio in your car. If it was ever replaced with one from eBay or a wrecker, it may not have the required firmware even if it was "unlocked" by a dealer. This message is characteristic of the original firmware.

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SF N* RWD NAV F55
705 Posts
You NEED the "Firmware Update", and ONLY the dealer can do this,
they need/use an additional disk, and a Tech II tool to do it.
It calls for .7 hours to do this,assuming they have the disk.
Had mine done, paid about $ 66.00 to get it done.
Now I can insert 8.0 Nav disk sucessfully.
Do a NAV Update search, it will explain better.
Happy Motoring :cool2::cool::cool2:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm okay. I would assume that my DVD rom still reads discs considering that I put a music CD inside it and it said "the disc installed is not a map DVD" but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
2007's came with the old firmware. The upgrade also improves Bluetooth, VR & puts MRC on the first config screen.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
If you don't want to pay for the firmware upgrade, I would be willing to trade you an older map DVD for your 9.0 disc.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
That's ashame, the previous factory nav vehicles I owned had the firmware update on the nav disc. When I put in the newer discs it took several minutes while it updated the firmware then the map appeared.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
I thought I read if you had updated every year that one of the discs came with the update. Oh well the update does more than just allow you to use the newer maps.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Have your dealer check to see if bulletin #05-08-126-001B applies to your car. This relates to the firmware update for some 2005-07 model year STS cars exhibiting the symptom you're describing. It will also provide them with the part number of the update disc set they require to complete the update, if necessary.

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,717 Posts
I remember reading that from one member on here one time. I'm not sure if its really true. It doesn't really make sense that they would have the update come with only one year's disc when otherwise you have to visit the dealer.

I thought I read if you had updated every year that one of the discs came with the update. Oh well the update does more than just allow you to use the newer maps.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
I installed a navigation radio out of a 2006 Escalade into my other car and this was the case. One of the map updates I purchased did upgrade the radio firmware. This has only ever occurred one time. My understanding is that it depends on the radio. In that case, it was a Delphi navigation system, not a Denso like those installed in the STS.

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,717 Posts
It would have been nice if they would have done that with our STSs. I would think you could keep the update on all newer discs (not just one year). If it was already installed then it would just load the map. Oh well, mine are updated.

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
The storage required by the POI's forced a second disk for a while anyway. It's not like they had excess space. The upgrade also requires use of a Tech II. (Shoulda, woulda, coulda?)

OEM Navigation systems have a ways to go before they beat the aftermarket systems. The advantages they have are screen size & integration with the other systems of the vehicle. I think the winning design model is a universal interface to all carriers' smartphones, leveraging their data plan. ($$$$$$ behind the scenes for manufacturers & telcos fund convenience for us.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
8,178 Posts
I'd want to compare part numbers to be sure. You'll still have to visit a dealer to match it to your VIN.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Match it to my vin? Does that mean they have to program it to my car in order for it to work?

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
4,988 Posts
Match it to my vin? Does that mean they have to program it to my car in order for it to work?
Correct. The theftlock used by GM to "prevent radio theft" has the radio communicate with other modules to get the VIN number and then it compares that number to what it has stored internally to determine if it should function.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh crap! Are you kidding me? *sigh* so if was to buy that nav unit from ebay how much do you think the dealership would charge to program it to my car?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts