Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2010 ESCALADE
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of installing one of these units in my 2010 with factory NAV and USB port. Any feed back on reliability, ease of installation and operation?

·
Registered
2007 Escalade Lux Edition
140 Posts
NavTv Baracuda unit is easy to install and works great. Also it doesn't show caution warning at top of screen when playing videos, the lock pick does.

·
Registered
Porsche Cayenne Diesel, Porsche 997 Carrera S, VW Passat SE
595 Posts
I installed the GMX550 Lockpick in my 2010 Escalade. Installation wasn't that bad, but the product is not well sorted. I experienced all sorts of issues and eventually removed it from my vehicle. The benefits that it provided didn't outweigh the irritations that it created.

These were the issues/concerns that I had. I sent these to Coastaletech but no real solutions.

1) When playing music through my ipod, I couldn't change the songs up/down with the up/down buttons on the steering wheel. I must use the knob on the right side of the radio.
2) I find it frustrating to use the mute button to activate the GMX550. It seems odd that in order to initiate the module I have to mute whatever I'm listening to twice. It drives me and my kids nuts when I mute the movie they are watching even though it's only for a split second.
3) I was disappointed to find out that when playing a video through my ipod, that it only works on the front screen.
4) Getting video to play from the ipod is clunky. Why can't it be from the menu just like playing music? I find it frustrating that I have to initiate the movie on the device when it's tucked away in my console to play a movie.
5) When playing music through the ipod, it constantly has this Check surroundings message on the top of the screen.
5) When playing music through the ipod, I miss having a clock on the nav like it always is on the standard window in the upper right corner
6) The GMX550 ipod menu isn't that graphically pleasing.
7) When the DVD player is unlocked, I can't seem to re-lock it. I've pressed the mute button twice ...nothing. I've pressed the mute button four times and selected DVD in motion Off....nothing. Any suggestions?
8) I had lots of sporatic bluetooth interference caused by the GMX550.

One of these days i'll try the barracuca.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
I concur with ELUSIVE. I had the older lockpick and the recent newer version, to see if it has gotten better. NOPE. Still a POS and both are in the garage. Actually, they are both for sale, interested? :)

·
Registered
2010 ESCALADE
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! I guess it's the Barracuda then! Has anyone installed one of these? Hoping there's NO cutting of factory wiring.

·
Registered
595 Posts
It should be plug and play with the exception of the rear view camera wiring if you want to view it while you're driving.
All very easy.

I really wanted to like the lockpick. It was just crap IMHO.

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged
677 Posts
Thinking of installing one of these units in my 2010 with factory NAV and USB port. Any feed back on reliability, ease of installation and operation?
I never had it in my truck, but if I still had it I probably would have gone with Nav tv. This guy gives a demonstration of how it works.

----------

WOW! I guess it's the Barracuda then! Has anyone installed one of these? Hoping there's NO cutting of factory wiring.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade Lux Edition
140 Posts
It is plug and play I installed it myself using instructions. Also seen an install on YouTube of a GM truck to help me out. The only wire I cut and ran was the one for the forced rear camera. That wire is easy to access under the front passenger seat. Bought wire for $5 at car stereo shop.

·
Registered
2011 Escalade EXT, 2012 Escalade ESV Platinum
175 Posts
I have one of each in my escalades. Although the gmx550 gives you a few more options it comes with issues as mentioned by others above. Although for the record the only issue i have is that it changes my trucks location a bit on the nav screen. It starts calculating thinking that i have passed the intersection when i am about to enter and it annoys the hell. The navtv is what i installed and have found that to be better. No issues with it. Either of them will not require you to cut the wires unless you are hooking up the back camera. Also since my escalades both have usb i have not used the ipod connectors on either one so cannot comment on the sound quality or video issues. Another thing i should mention is that the staff at navtv barracuda was very helpful when i placed my order. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2010 Escalade ESV
127 Posts
I used NAV-TV from Video in Motion when I installed DirecTV in my Escalade. Personally I think that's the best on the market. I have had no errors or problems. It works great and is easily activated/deactivated. The only thing I do not have is the rear view camera wired to view while in motion, I really didn't care about that so I left it.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
GMX-550 Lockpicks work but there is a ton of functionality and there are some bugs because of how many features these unit have. If you want to simply unlock the Display and allow DVD in motion and or allow your AV inputs to work in motion the Gen 6 lockpick is a solid performer.

·
Registered
2018 Escalade ESV
336 Posts
tomm said:
GMX-550 Lockpicks work but there is a ton of functionality and there are some bugs because of how many features these unit have. If you want to simply unlock the Display and allow DVD in motion and or allow your AV inputs to work in motion the Gen 6 lockpick is a solid performer.
Which do you have

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
I have the older version and the Gen 6 lockpick.... They ALL HAVE BUGS!! The GEN 6 even caused a drain on the battery after the vehicle was shut off.

·
Registered
2018 Escalade ESV
336 Posts
K9Caddy said:
I have the older version and the Gen 6 lockpick.... They ALL HAVE BUGS!! The GEN 6 even caused a drain on the battery after the vehicle was shut off.
So if you had to get one today which would you get. The navtv works great but no extra options or 550 buggy but get the options you may want later down the road

·
Registered
595 Posts
These guys need better testers. I don't know how they can sell a product like this.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
45 Posts
I hate the lockpick I have in my 2009. It is really buggy and at times will not activate to input Nav in motion. It constantly changes to GM AUX IN mode or makes my radio go into security lock.

I need to pull the thing out since I rarely use it. I bought it mainly for the ipod interface since for some unknown reason Cadillac did not include that feature in the 2009 models.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts