Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Does anyone know what year the in-dash navigation system first appeared? Was there a trim-specific package that included it? I've also heard that if buying a DTS without one, it's fairly easy to install. Is adding a back-up cam difficult?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,963 Posts
Welcome to CF !!!

The "DTS" replaced the Deville, DHS, and DTS in 2006 and is a different car.

The NAV option was available in the early 2000s Devilles and Sevilles. Primitive, slow, disc-driven, inaccurate, no updates past about 2008. A $159 Garmin is worlds better with free lifetime updates.

The sound system head unit is set to that car's VIN - part of the security, theft lock, and serial data bus. There are several hoops to jump through when changing it. Talk to the guys at Crutchfield. Know which sound system option is in your car - there were 2 or 3. They should also know about a backup camera. (I use the mirror)

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
75 Posts
I have an aftermarket head unit with backup camera installed. I am not sure if it is the camera's fault, but no matter how I try to dial in a clear picture I just can't do it. Actually, I think it's because of the location of the screen. On the DTS it faces somewhat upward and always seems to have sunlight bearing down on it. In my case it is virtually unusable except in 1 or 2 types of light and circumstances.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium
74 Posts
Nav was, sadly, optional for the top two trim packages across all years (although the brochure suggests that it might've been finally roped in with one of the trims late in the product cycle). Tragically few DTSs are so equipped. There is no backup camera equipped on any of them in stock configuration (had to leave that, along with push-to-start, as exclusives on the flagship STS).

I have an aftermarket head unit with backup camera installed. I am not sure if it is the camera's fault, but no matter how I try to dial in a clear picture I just can't do it. Actually, I think it's because of the location of the screen. On the DTS it faces somewhat upward and always seems to have sunlight bearing down on it. In my case it is virtually unusable except in 1 or 2 types of light and circumstances.
Most of those backup cameras (both aftermarket and OEM) use terrible sensors and send a 480i composite video signal back to the head unit, which makes for a pretty awful combination.

·
Registered
2006 DTS 1SD
15 Posts
I fitted an Alpine head unit, which has back camera possibility (I don't want/need it), and installation took about an hour (the longest part was connecting the wires together) and all in cost $400. I got this from Crutchfield (who also were super helpful as I needed to call them about something not working). I now have a full bluetooth handsfree, widescreen head unit, with Apple Carplay or the Android version (I have an iPhone), full FM and it wires into the existing Bose Premium system. Plus, the steering wheel controls still all work.

Given that I can now use Waze or other carplay apps, I think moving over to Carplay or at least a non-GM unit gives so much more flexibility.

My 2c.

·
Registered
1968 Deville convertible
110 Posts
I added a double din and it was all plug and play. My camera looks good for being a 25 dollar ebay special. So many apps for navigation on a phone to mirror to your DD. You should just get a different camera. I have mine wired so I can see it whenever I want

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
80 Posts
I kept the original NAV/Audio head unit intact. It isn't the greatest but it works and I did manage to find a update DVD (23286273 9.0C V.2016 GPS) that claims to be the latest possible update. It did install and update.

One reason I opted to stay with this head unit is because whomever the first original owner were of my 07 purchased a lifetime Sirrus XM subscription. I have had free XM radio since I purchased the car nearly 2 years ago. I know the XM module is a separate piece of hardware but I don't think I could keep the XM and be able to play it with an aftermarket unit.
Anyone have any enlightening knowledge of this?

·
Registered
2006 DTS 1SD
15 Posts
DsharK - I am not sure whether the Sirius XM is a separate module: my OEM unit, which came out when I put in the Alpine unit instead, had Sirius XM. It does (if I remember correctly) have a specific Sirius connector, but I, so maybe that's from the antenna (???) but in any case, the new unit is also SiriusXM ready - so as long as you have the Sirius account details, you should be able to transfer it over.

If you did want to upgrade the unit to a newer one (and if you have bluetooth/carplay/android car thing, you have the whole internet to listen to then!!!), you could chat with the good folks at Crutchfield who will certainly be able to help you.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Premium w/1SD | 1999 Deville Base (RIP @179K Miles)
400 Posts
The Nav System was included on the Premium Trims. The NAV system is part of the BOSE system so I don't think it would be a plug and play install to a base model.

I have the NAV system in my 2011 DTS. I like it, But I don't use the Navigation part much. I have a phone mount and use the WAZE app on my phone.

I do use it sometimes when I'm on vacation and I don't get a phone signal. But most of the time I keep the NAV Disc ejected in my glove compartment. The drive sounds a bit annoying when it turns on after you unlock the driver door.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the NAV Disc
Oh so the navigation was on a CD-ROM? Damn, alright. I'm thinking that if I buy a DTS that doesn't have the nav screen, I may just go the Crutchfield route and have a separate one installed. Would I then have to have some sort of GPS antenna installed as well? I'd think if so, that'd probably be sold separately from the screen unit itself, too. Hm.

·
2006 DTS perf
2006 DTS Performance Lux III
1,040 Posts
Oh so the navigation was on a CD-ROM? Damn, alright. I'm thinking that if I buy a DTS that doesn't have the nav screen, I may just go the Crutchfield route and have a separate one installed. Would I then have to have some sort of GPS antenna installed as well? I'd think if so, that'd probably be sold separately from the screen unit itself, too. Hm.
Yes the GPS antenna comes with the new nav. I placed mine under the dash pad above the radio. Works great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts