Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son cold rebooted the unit and now I'm stuck in LA for last 2 weeks, anyone know how to fix this?

Jon

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
What do you mean by 'cold reboot'? Did you disconnect the battery, or pull the unit out of the dash and unplug it? The default location is LAX for some reason, but once it acquires GPS signals, will triangulate its position within a few minutes (usually less than 6 minutes). Once it's got that in memory, it only takes a few seconds to boot and acquire it's position, since it will have a current almanac of the 28 GPS satellite positions, it's current general location, and know which satellites to look for.

If it was unplugged, I'd check the GPS antenna connection. If you didn't pull it at all, and simply disconnected power, that might be indicative of a different issue. If you set current position ('veh position') to your location, it will expedite the satellite position acquisition. Check page 1-18 of the Nav manual.

https://www.mygmlink.com/pdf/go2content/manual/US/en/cadillac/2k04cts_nav.pdf

If your VSS wire connection was bad (this would only be typical of a nav retrofit with a spliced VSS wire), your position would stay fixed and simply turn in circles as the car turned.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a Nav that I installed myself. What is the VSS wire?

Also the GPS info shows correct Lat & Long but I'm stuck in LA Or if I update my position to where I am I am stuck there, however as I turn the car rotates on the screen. Any suggestions?

Jon

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Well....Installing a Nav and NOT knowing what the VSS wire is was your problem :D You need to tap the VSS wire for it to work...its the vehicle speed sensor or something like that....I had the same problem when I tapped mine because it was a bad tap.....go to www.cadillacfaq.com and do a search for the nav install.....all the directions are in there and you will be working in no time :D

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
274 Posts
Well....Installing a Nav and NOT knowing what the VSS wire is was your problem :D You need to tap the VSS wire for it to work...its the vehicle speed sensor or something like that....I had the same problem when I tapped mine because it was a bad tap.....go to www.cadillacfaq.com and do a search for the nav install.....all the directions are in there and you will be working in no time :D
:yeah:
I recommend just splicing the wires together. Unless you are using the same thickness wire as the VSS, the tap may cut one of the wires or not make good contact at all.

Just splice and electrical tape it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So thats the VSS wire... i did tap that in when I did the install, What your saying is even though i am acquiring satellites with correct lat & Long displayed the reason my location in Nav mode doesn't move is that I have a bad connection and should rewire the VSS?

Jon

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The reason it turns in circles is that the VSS signal is not getting to the proper pin on the C2 connector. Usually this is due to a bad splice. If you leave the Nav in the ON position in your driveway for say 10 minutes, it should get you to your proper position. If not, try moving it using instructions in the link I posted before.

How many satellites does it acquire? If it's less than 4 you may have problems getting an appropriate fix. How did you mount the GPS antenna? Above the instruments in the factory location, or double sided taped under next to the center channel speaker (as the FAQ advises, but I certainly don't from experience)? Most GPS antennas need a small metal RF backplane to operate efficiently. The factory mount is about 12 square inches of metal plate for that very reason.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I get between 4-5 satellites, however my antenna right now is on top of the dash. Do you think it is better to have it in the back by the center speaker?
Also i bought a cheaper aftermarket antenna, do you think this might be a problem?

Jon

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
As long as you see 4 or 5 satellites, the GPS functions are working. It looks much better hidden under the dash panel and is very easy to put there. Did you let it sit under an open sky for 6 to 10 minutes with the Nav running? If power has been pulled at any time, it will need to reacquire and download the almanac (cold start). Once thats done and it has it in memory then it should only take a few seconds to initialize and find your position.

Did you try to move your position manually near your current location (the link I posted)? If you see that many satellites, it should be working.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts