Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started recently. When I shut the car off and open the door, the NAV screen and radio stay up and remain on. I actually waited almost 5 minutes and left car one time. It used to turn off/retract instantly on opening the door. Has anyone seen this and can the dealer fix this (my dealership is usually clueless unless i print something out from this great site). Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
did you have your firmware updated? There is a thread here about that. I tried to find it quickly but could not. I am sure someone will post it.

·
Registered
Former owner 2008 CTS
228 Posts
actually sounds to me like a bad door switch (the one that kicks on the lights when you open your door and that tells the car you are exiting). If you're under warranty head on back to the dealer

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS 2008, 2016 Cadillac CTS V-Sport Premium
153 Posts
I have a 2008 that just started doing this. I have a laundry list of minor problems for the dealer to look at:
1. Trunk won’t open when key fob is near trunk and button pressed to open trunk. **Note trunk release on key fob works fine
2. Rust starting under license plate
3. Vibration noise from rear deck lid when coming to a stop
4. Radio/navigation display won’t turn off when car is turned off and door opened
5. Windshield rattle when hitting a bump
6. Headlights not aligned properly. Drivers oncoming (going opposite direction) and driving in front of vehicle ask if there is a headlight out
7. Breaks squeal
8. Letter from Cadillac: to change the calibration of the engine control module, including the engine oil life monitor-related to timing chain premature wear

·
Registered
2009 CTS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. No NAV software updates. Seems like the door switch is a good starting point. I appreciate the suggestions.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,809 Posts
Just noticed similar issue on my 08 with NAV. I had the screen up(dont remember if I had NAV dispay on/probably yes). I opened the door to exit and I noticed radio didnt go off and screen retract. But just for about 2-3 seconds and only intermittent. I will keep an eye on this for set of symptoms and frequency.

·
Registered
08 CTS4 DI Hot Lava Edition PDZ AWD FE2
402 Posts
I had this happen a couple of days ago. I think that I may have started to open the door as I was shutting off the car. I have since made sure to shut the ignition off before pulling on the door handle and have had no more issues.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI AWD Luxury-Performance II ThunderGray/Titanium
135 Posts
I had my 08 CTS in the dealer (with nav) in april for:
1) car/ trunk wont unlock sometimes- dealer couldn't duplicate, possible interference such as cell, pc etc..
2) radio won't turn off sometimes- dealer found bulletin document id 2131907 (reprogrammed ECM), radio turns off.

Since then I have driven the car more (vacation) and have replaced the batteries in both key fobs (down to 2.98 & 2.99 vdc) both are 3.16 vdc now, but I am still having the same issue. Sometimes I will see "electronic key not detected-restart availble" even though the key is within 10" of steering column. The radio not turning off has gotten worse since as I used to have to turn car back to run then off and open door and radio will shut off to now I have to do this 2-10 times, I am concerned of walking away and coming back to a dead battery or could some one hop in and drive away with my car?? I have taken a video (from my droid) of this happening (3 times in 2 days) (I emailed this to the dealer so they can see this happen).

My car is going back to the dealer this Wednesday for:
1) car/ trunk wont unlock sometimes
2) radio won't turn off sometimes

Any help from someone that has had this happen and has had it corrected would be appreciated. I will post what the dealer finds after my service.

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
The problem of the radio not turning off when exiting the car is almost always caused by a faulty driver door switch. The problem can be intermittent or continuous in nature (depends on actual fault condition of the switch - intermittent fail or permanent fail).

Recommend you test the driver door switch function using this method:

1) Start engine
2) Move transmission lever to D or R
3) Open the driver door
4) With driver door open you should see this message on the DIC: Driver Door Open
5) If no message on DIC, the driver door switch is almost certainly faulty (unless another fault, such as a weak or failed connection, exists on your car)
6) If the test shows the switch is functioning, perform the test a few more times, over the next few days. The problem on your vehicle is intermittent, so don't expect the test to indictate a faulty switch on each and every try.

·
Registered
135 Posts
RAB, thanks for the info and will pass along to dealer.:thumbsup:

I did get the (driver door open) using the above steps, but while having the (ddo) message, I put car in park & shut the car off and the nav/radio stayed on with the driver door still open, I shut drivers door and reopened and nav/radio turned off. I will monitor until the dealer picks my car up and will post what happens.

Should the nav/radio turn off with only the driver door (why not the front pass door)? if not can/could it be reprogrammed to do so?

·
Registered
Previous: '08 CTS4, '09 CTS, '11 CTS4, all Premium models. No longer own a Cadillac.
2,109 Posts
snafu- okay, not a problem.

With an open driver door, placing the shift lever in Park (which kills the 'ddo' message on the DIC) and shutting the engine/car off should result in an immediate shutdown of everything, including the Nav Radio. Just tried it on my '09 CTS, and that's exactly what happened.

The BCM / body control system in your CTS may require a re-flash/re-programming.

Just curious.. what Application Version are you running in your Nav Radio? You can check version info by hitting the CONFIG hard key, selecting the Nav tab on the touchscreen and then choosing Map Database Information. At minimum you'll want to have version 2.50.0000. If the appl version in your Nav Radio is older than that, ask your dealer to implement TSB #08-08-44-019D. Here's a link to the TSB:
http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/1473364/tsb-08-08-44-019d-pdf-october-21-2009-5-42-pm-569k?da=y

12,821 Posts
snafu,

I am sorry to hear that you are still experiencing those issues. I see you have an appointment on Wednesday with your dealership. Please let me know how that goes. If the issue does arise again, please message me with your full contact information including your VIN and current mileage. I would like to take a look into it for you if this issue does happen again.

Thank you

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
135 Posts
RAB,

I tried (the open door,place in P etc..) and the car shut off properly.

I have 4-5 videos (from my droid) of what I described that are going to the delaer also over the past week.

I will advise the dealer also of the BCM (if necessary).

The app version is 3.03.0100, map 14.83.15.050509.24, I will be updating my navdisc after all of the backup camera/raised screen issues are fixed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Elizabeth,

FWIW build date of CTS is 3/08 and current milage is 26,170.

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
I received my car back from the dealer today, they replaced the drivers door lock assembly (fp# 20922217) based upon using their scan tool. I will post over the next few weeks if everything is back to normal.

Thanks to all who helped!

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
Funny, I just returned from long vacations and I noticed, when started driving the CTS, exact the same symptoms - car radio will not turn off upon turning the engine off and exiting the car. Checked it a few time today - same results. So a trip the the dealer. Again! Every time I think the problems are gone something else pops out....I guess it is the new standard of the world!

I am sort of lucky as my warranty expires in 400 miles....

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
Elizabeth,

This has happened several times over last few days. Went to the dealer this afternoon as it happened again this morning. Could not replicate at dealership! Once I got back home the issue arises again.....I guess I will be seeing the dealer again...........

·
Registered
2009 CTS
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Snafu, did replacement of the door locks fix the problem? Mine us getting worse but it's still inconsistent and does not do it every time. I know when I take it to the dealer they won't be able to recreate the problem (again). Maybe I should take a video of it with my phone?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts