Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I bought a CPO V almost a month ago and it came with some of the NAV buttons peeling off color (it only had 15,xxx miles on it too). Are they covered under warrenty? 15,xxx seems too quick for paint rubbing off no?

--rohit

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
...also, welcome. :wave:

www.cadillacfaq.com is a great place to answer all these questions that old farts like me get tired of seeing.

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahaa thx tony liking the pic :p...
the search is my buddy now:

"I know the GPS unit was replaced after the buttons started peeling, thats the only thing I know of. ANY suggestions of any sort for me before my warranty expires is appreciated."

so i'm guessing that is a yes it's covered... now if they woudl only replace the entire unit with a touchscreen model hmmmm.. ;-)

--rohit

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Mallett
93 Posts
so i'm guessing that is a yes it's covered... now if they woudl only replace the entire unit with a touchscreen model hmmmm.. ;-)

--rohit
Yeah, but the touchscreens aren't easy to rig to watch a dvd while driving. By the way, I found out how to do that in the FAQ.:thumbsup:

I bought mine with 8k miles and the buttons were already peeling.

·
Registered
Cadillac
739 Posts
I am on my second unit because of the vav buttons... yes its covered.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
i got charged 15 bucks to do my nav buttons, my dealer is a joke. I know more about the car then they do. And they charge me for shit like this!!!! Shouldnt even bare the caddy name. AND I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM THEM, which makes it even worse that they treat me like *******. sorry for the rant. but i had to pay. the respray on them sucks (they had some guy come in and spray paint the buttons) - it doesnt match, its already peeling, and they chose to completely ignore the button that was peeling the worst, and just didnt do anything about it.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
i got charged 15 bucks to do my nav buttons, my dealer is a joke. I know more about the car then they do. And they charge me for shit like this!!!! Shouldnt even bare the caddy name. AND I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM THEM, which makes it even worse that they treat me like *******. sorry for the rant. but i had to pay. the respray on them sucks (they had some guy come in and spray paint the buttons) - it doesnt match, its already peeling, and they chose to completely ignore the button that was peeling the worst, and just didnt do anything about it.
Dude- take it to another dealer. I see you're in Florida, why don't you come see me? I'll have my Service guys take care of it if you can't find someone local.

If all you do is rant about it, it'll never get fixed. Find another dealer.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Most dealers will replace the complete radio.
We replace just the buttons or faceplate, whatever it needs.
More and more dealers won't replace the $4,000 radio for peeling buttons these days because it drives up the warranty expense for the dealer, then GM starts raining down on them.
We found a way to make our customers happy by replacing the buttons under warranty and keeping our expenses low.
Essentially we do the same thing our radio supplier does, we rebuild the unit replacing the buttons that are bad. Sometimes I just order them all.
It is kind of a pain but not too hard and no sense in replacing the whole unit for some peeling buttons, especially considering that sometimes.... sometimes mind you... the replacement is actually messed up in another way.

I am not aware of a "touch screen" version of the CTS nav system so that is not really an option.
If you are in a place where the dealers won't do it, and you can't get to us here in Alexandria, you can talk with Luke (lindsay cadillac parts) and we can get you the buttons for $16 each and ship them to you.
If you can handle some light trim work they are not hard to replace at all.
I bought a couple small tools to handle the faceplate because the screws are hard to get out. They are like 3.2mm or 3.5mm, I forget which.
Those tools can be hard to find.

HTH

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$4000.00 wow that is expensive!

ewill3rd I'll do my next oil service at Lindsey (already came in for quite a bit of warrenty work last week) and maybe I'll just drop the car off and get the buttons serviced as well :). Thanks again guys!! You guys have aesome customer service!!

--rohit

·
Registered
17 xt5 & Blk 05 cts-v
2,470 Posts
hey ewill3rd my dealer said that they were not allowed to touch the nav. i told them that they could just replace the button but they wont listen. they said there is no part number for them. when i said that they could just call your dealer they said that your dealer would just say the same thing they tell me. i wish you were closer.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Our radio supplier allows us to purchase the buttons directly from them and our area manager has given us authorization to replace the buttons under warranty.
The parts are not GM parts per se, which is the sticking point for most dealers. They don't know how to order them so they don't try.
We try to "think outside the box" a little bit.
I can't remember if it was my idea or James' idea to ask. I think he came up with the idea and I made the phone call.

I wish a lot of you guys lived closer, would love to have some of you as clients. ;)

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
reddyc, come early one day and plan to pick up the afternoon of the next day.
I have to get the radio model number out of the radio and call my supplier, then they overnight the buttons to me and I fix it the second day.
It just takes an hour or two and they look as good as new.

·
Registered
Cadillac
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks ewill3rd! I'll be there alright, the peeling buttons make the car look soo much older than it is....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts