Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this link in an email from a fellow gun owner, and I don't quite know what to make of it. I'm no lawyer, therefore I don't read legal mumbo-jumbo very well, but from what I can make of this it isn't good.

To the untrained reader (and maybe to the trained one as well), this certainly seems to be a bill seeking to establish a National gun owner registration system that will track gun owners, require you to submit for an ownership license, require you to notify the Attorney General's office within 90 days if you move, submit to random inspections to ensure compliance with gun safety rules, permit the Attorney General to access your classified mental health records, and charge you a licensing fee for doing so.

This is not like legislation aimed at assault rifles- this is ALL guns. From section 3 of the bill:

HR 45 said:
(2) QUALIFYING FIREARM- The term ‘qualifying firearm’ has the meaning given the term in section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, as amended by subsection (b) of this section.

(b) Amendment to Title 18, United States Code- Section 921(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:

‘(36) The term ‘qualifying firearm’--

‘(A) means--

‘(i) any handgun; or

‘(ii) any semiautomatic firearm that can accept any detachable ammunition feeding device; and

‘(B) does not include any antique.’.
Here's the complete bill. Of particular interest are Titles I and III, which detail not only what privacy you must give up in order to exercise your God given and Constitutional right to possess a firearm, but also the penalties (including jail time) that it imposes for failure to secure, failure to report, or even failure to notify the AG of a change of address.

I keep reading through it and looking for the one phrase that makes me say "Oh, okay- no big deal", but I can't find it. Even the part about state laws doesn't have anything in it that clearly says states have the right to not be part of this program. I don't like sounding like some wackadoo conspiracy theorist, but unless the legal terminology is hiding the truth about this bill, it's pretty nefarious.

Take a gander and weigh in with your opinion.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Pretty ridiculous, the fact is that the guns used for crimes are obtained illegally anyway and will not be registered. All this does is penalize law abiding citizens who own guns - its bullshit

·
Registered
Cadillac
33 Posts
This is not a new agenda for some of our super f'd up politicians. I would never consider registering, it could only lead to a confiscation. They are gonna have to come find mine.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,626 Posts
If it is true, you can bet that the NRA is all over it.

·
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty ridiculous, the fact is that the guns used for crimes are obtained illegally anyway and will not be registered. All this does is penalize law abiding citizens who own guns - its bullshit
Exactly. Criminals aren't obtaining their guns through legal channels anyway, so how is putting an expensive, restrictive and unconstitutional registration and taxation system in place to going to lower gun violence?

Answer? It isn't. People who think like this are the same idiots who think lowering the speed limit will reduce traffic accidents, when in fact all it does is increase tax revenue in the form of tickets, while the scofflaws and drunks continue to drive dangerously and kill people.

·
Registered
1991 Sedan Deville
2,932 Posts
Answer? It isn't. People who think like this are the same idiots who think lowering the speed limit will reduce traffic accidents, when in fact all it does is increase tax revenue in the form of tickets, while the scofflaws and drunks continue to drive dangerously and kill people.
Right, distraction and stupidity are the cause of accidents, not speed. More speed just causes more damage when accidents do occur.

·
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And similarly, the people doing drive-by shootings and holding up liquor stores didn't get a gun at a gun shop by exploiting some loophole or oversight in the current legal system- they bought it out of the trunk of a car or from a fellow gang member. No amount of legislation is going to stop that.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,007 Posts
The Romans had it correct 2,000 years ago: "The corruption of a society may be measured by the number of laws it enacts."

...........of course, like us, they paid no attention to the warning signs and thereby had to eat their own words several hundred years later......

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts
My weapons in any quantity or type are the business of no government; they are my business alone. The same is for all Americans.

·
Registered
None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.
5,702 Posts
...I lost all of my guns in a terrible boating accident a few weeks ago. I've got nothing left to register. :(

·
Registered
1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....
10,429 Posts
People who think like this are the same idiots who think lowering the speed limit will reduce traffic accidents, when in fact all it does is increase tax revenue in the form of tickets, while the scofflaws and drunks continue to drive dangerously and kill people.
Probably the same people who think that we can spend our way out of debt ...... :histeric:

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,270 Posts
What part of "shall not be infringed" don't they understand. Of course, there's probably a provision in the bill (sarcasm here) that the registration does not apply to them.

·
26,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What part of "shall not be infringed" don't they understand. Of course, there's probably a provision in the bill (sarcasm here) that the registration does not apply to them.
Your sarcasm was not needed- it's actually there.

HR 45 said:
TITLE VIII--INAPPLICABILITY

SEC. 801. INAPPLICABILITY TO GOVERNMENTAL AUTHORITIES.

This Act and the amendments made by this Act shall not apply to any department or agency of the United States, of a State, or of a political subdivision of a State, or to any official conduct of any officer or employee of such a department or agency.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,626 Posts
WE need to be more careful when on the water. I know I will in the future. Once is enough.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,270 Posts
'I think I'm going to take a little boat ride tomorrow, first thing'...........................of course I'm taking all my firearms (the prudent thing to do, right).

·
Registered
06 STS AWD V8 09 Escalade ESV
111 Posts
first: inurok, nice springfield! Is that the .40?

Second: HR 45 has been sitting there since early jan. I believe. It's going no where.

Third: You guys who had boating accidents, welcome to the club!!! ;) Your not arfcommers are you?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts